Teams Chicago Bears - Monsters of the Midway

Remove this Banner Ad

Since Bears cut Robbie Gould, they’ve missed 19 field goals and he’s missed 3

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 7, 2019, 9:22 AM EST

GettyImages-884928482-e1546870735264.jpg

Getty Images

Bears General Manager Ryan Pace’s decision to cut kicker Robbie Gould has always been questionable, but never more so than now, after a missed field goal cost the Bears a playoff game.

Gould had played 11 NFL seasons, all with the Bears, and was the team’s longest-tenured active player and all-time leader in points, total field goals and 50-yard field goals, when Pace cut him just before the start of the 2016 regular season. Since then, Gould has played for the Giants and 49ers and gone a combined 82-for-85 on field goals, the best accuracy rate in the NFL over three years. The Bears’ kickers, meanwhile, have gone a cumulative 60-for-79 over the last three years, worst in the NFL — counting Cody Parkey‘s 3-for-4 day yesterday.

There’s been some revisionist history that actually Gould wasn’t good in 2015 and so it was smart for Pace to cut him. That just isn’t true. It’s true that Gould wasn’t quite as great in 2015 as he has been in the three years since then, but he was still an above-average kicker in 2015, when he went 33-for-39 on field goals with a long of 55 yards. Pace just calculated that the kicker he signed to replace Gould, Connor Barth, would be better. And that turned out not to be the case.

Nor has Parkey been better, nor were Mike Nugent nor Cairo Santos, the two kickers the Bears had between Barth and Parkey, better than Gould. The Bears had a good kicker, they cut him, and they’ve paid for it.
I remember Barth missing a pretty easy kick early on and the commentator goes sometimes you make a change to save a little money.. sometimes you have to wonder whether it's worth it..

That D is the real deal.

That one will sting for a bit for Bears fans, but the Bears have a really bright future if they continue to develop Mitch.
I’m hoping that the loss of Vic Fangio to the broncos won’t be as severe now Chuck Pagano takes the reigns. Kind of crucial as our fortunes ride on the back of the D.
At least until Trubisky finds some consistency and we find a kicker that can ice a game that is

Ryan Pace wins Executive of the Year award

Posted by Mike Florio on March 25, 2019, 9:25 AM EDT

gettyimages-903071026-e1553520235381.jpg

Getty Images

The NFL’s official awards, as determined by the Associated Press, don’t include one specific prize. For decades, Sporting News has handed out the unofficially official (or officially unofficial) Executive of the Year award, and it’s the one that has become most recognized as the honor for the G.M. or other non-coach who did the most to shape a team’s fortunes.
The Sporting News 2018 Executive of the Year is Bears G.M. Ryan Pace. And for very good reason.
Pace, after the firing of coach John Fox, hired Matt Nagy, a first-time head coach who came from the Chiefs’ system. After the dust settled on the new-look coaching staff, Pace signed receiver Allen Robinson II, receiver Taylor Gabriel, and tight end Trey Burton early in free agency, and Pace next found a way to retain cornerbacks Prince Amukamara and Kyle Fuller, matching as to Fuller an offer sheet he had signed with the Packers.
Pace next drafted multiple players who would thrive immediately in the league: first-round linebacker Roquan Smith, second-round offensive lineman James Daniels, second-round receiver Anthony Miller, and fifth-round defensive lineman Bilal Nichols. Smith, despite a lengthy holdout, registered the most tackles by a Bears rookie in team history, with 122.
Then came the trade that vaulted the Bears into immediate contention. The trade that brought one of the best defensive players to the NFC North, when Chicago managed to get defensive end Khalil Mack from the Raiders.
The Bears won 12 regular-season games, and sent eight players to the Pro Bowl. The award for Pace matches the Coach of the Year honors previously won by Nagy, giving the Bears a formidable duo that could keep them in contention for years to come

I think because Nagy insists on an everydown back who is a very good pass-catcher and route runner. Howard is more of a running back than an all-purpose back.

I personally don't agree with trading away Howard, and, for peanuts. Stupid move imo. Bears already handed the Eagles a playoff win last season, and now they're continuing to aid them. Idiots.

The Bears might miss Howard, who set the franchise's rookie rushing record with 1,313 yards in 2016. The back also reached 2,000 rushing yards faster (24 games) than Walter Payton and Gale Sayers. Since entering the league, Howard has the third-most rushing yards of any running back in the league (3,370), just behind Ezekiel Elliott (4,048) and Todd Gurley (3,441).

I was in the states last week and watched some Pre season games.
Although I was disappointed to lose Howard, I did like what I saw from the new RB Montgomery. Small sample but did impress me.
Maybe he and Tarik Cohen can get the job done.
The 2 kickers don’t inspire me though

Akron robbed, placed at 100.
Should be top 10.

100. 1920 Akron Pros (won APFA title): May as well end at the beginning and acknowledge the inaugural champions of the league, then known as the American Professional Football Association (it was reflagged "NFL" in 1922). The Pros never lost in 1920, but did tie three times during their 11-game slate. With a playoff format non-existent at the time, they were actually awarded their crown during a league meeting on April 30, 1921 — old school. Final note: Akron surrendered seven points the entire season, pitching 10 shutouts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Playing average but finally on a winning streak.
Alas may be all too late 🙁
Would still love to stuff the packers next week to keep the slim dream alive regardless

NBC Sports Chicago's Adam Hoge believes Nick Foles is "inches ahead" of Mitchell Trubisky in a "tight" Bears quarterback competition.
Hoge points out that Trubisky has continued to struggle with his accuracy -- or lack thereof -- this summer, throwing passes high and behind receivers. Foles, meanwhile, has yet to take many chances and show much desire to challenge downfield, but was "generally accurate" in Tuesday's session. Foles has yet to "struggle to the degree" that Trubisky has in Bears camp. Coach Matt Nagy may have to choose between Trubisky's upside and erratic, mistake-prone style or the steadiness of Foles' vanilla play. Either way, this offense doesn't figure to be one we want to have too many pieces of in fantasy.
RELATED:
SOURCE: NBC Sports Chicago
Aug 25, 2020, 9:11 PM ET

Bears head coach Matt Nagy said the team would not name its starting quarterback ahead of their Week 1 game against Detroit.
As Lions beat writer Dave Birkett notes, Detroit might not know which QB they're facing until the Chicago offense takes the field for the first time in the season opener. It's a bizarre scenario, and one that speaks to Nagy's lack of confidence in Mitchell Trubisky and Nick Foles. Nagy has played coy this offseason when asked if Trubisky has improved. Probably Nagy will bounce between Trubisky and Foles throughout the 2020 season. The Lions defense could be a solid streaming option for Week 1 against an offense with the worst QB situation in the NFL.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Detroit Free Press
Aug 29, 2020, 7:07 PM ET

Remove this Banner Ad

Teams Chicago Bears - Monsters of the Midway

Remove this Banner Ad

Back