Chris Judd's Kicking Efficiency

Remove this Banner Ad

Teddy Picker

Debutant
May 7, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Don't get me wrong I love Chris Judd. He is a terrific leader and probably still one of the top 5 players in the competition.

But his kicking efficiency is poor. Alot of his kicks constantly fall 2 -3 metre short of his target. It seems to me that this is the one area of his game that is truely letting him down and stopping him from being even better than he already is.

In round 4 vs Adelaide his disposal efficiency was 67%
In round 5 vs Geelong his disposal efficiency was 70%
In round 6 vs Collingwood his disposal efficiency was 68%
In round 7 vs St Kilda his disposal efficiency was 58%

So far this year his average dispoal efficiency is 65.75%.

Is this good enough for a player of Judd's ability?

Re: Chris Judd's Kicking Effecieny

You will get that when you have a couple of blokes hanging off you as you burst from packs and get a quick kick or handpass away .

Try watching him play sometime . :rolleyes:

Im not saying his not a gun. This is just one area of his game that if he improved it would take him to an even higher level

A fair few of his kicks are in the pack and just get it out quick which drags it down even more..

But yes, his kicking isn't brilliant.

Most over-rated player in the league. King of the helicopter.

I agree with this in way. IMO he's a bit overrated nowadays, don't think he's anywhere near Ablett anymore. Commentators, media and co still blow their load over him and everytime he touches the ball though.

On his DE, it's not a good stat, often doesn't reflect a true players kicking ability. However, always been known Judd is a average and sometimes poor kick of the footy. Certainly not his strength.

I think they are reasonable numbers considering where he's getting the ball (in the tight contested positions) but they could be better and its not an unreasonable criticism if Carlton fans want to claim Judd as top 3 in the comp.

I agree with this in way. Think he's a bit overrated nowadays, don't think he's anywhere near Ablett anymore. Commentators, media and co still blow their load over him and everytime he touches the ball though.

On his DE, I don't think it's a good stat, doesn't often reflect a true players kicking ability. However, always been known Judd is a average and sometimes poor kick of the footy. Certainly not his strength.

He isn't any where near his West Coast days. Too often commentators get caught up in his hype, he has recaptured some of his blistering pace but his disposal his not good, let alone elite.

I suspect that some of it is to do with the different role he plays at Carlton. You often see it with the player who runs hard to position then has 3 or 4 bounces at full pace and butchers the kick through "temporary" fatigue. Judd uses a huge amount of petrol in the clinches, and it often looks like a tired disposal when he breaks free.

The same could be said about his supposed loss of explosive pace. It's been noticeable just how quick he still is out of the blocks in the few opportunities he's had lately to take off from outside the pack when Brock or Scottland have been doing the dirty work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah brought it up a while back on the Carlton board. His kicking is not his strenght yet he still remains very highly effective with every thing else he does. His handball is good and his meters gained should be good as is his defencive pressure and tackling. He's often kicking under pressure and to contests too which don't make stats look great.

Good player, great money accruer, mediocre kick. He kicks like he's got a bad groin or tight hammies or something - kicks the ball too early with his action and so gets underneath it. Obviously he's got excellent vision, but often puts the man he spots under pressure because he can't deliver the ball quickly enough with his dinky rainbow kicks. Considering his other skills, it makes me think it's a physical issue as much as a technical fault. Whereas his habit of spraying the ball wide of the target is probably eithr a technical problem or a concentration issue.
On a related note, who was the Carlton player who was playfully pretending to put his fingers in Judd's face when they sand the team song after last night's win? Good to see the Blues can find the funny side of gouging.

In round 7 vs St Kilda his disposal efficiency was 58%

Is this good enough for a player of Judd's ability?

I would like to know his kicking efficiency.

He butchered the ball last night.

He was truly brilliant at extracting the ball (and the commentators were gushing as they should)

But then it suddenly fell quite when the kick missed the target by 10 metres and went over the line.

Not good enough for the superstar he is.

I am glad this has been raised. Chris Judd is a very good player but his disposal by foot at times is just poor. Granted he is often under pressure but even when he is not it astounds me how often he misses a target.

That aside, it is hard to fault any other part of his game. I suppose it shows that he is human but I do get annoyed at the bias of commentators who refuse to acknowledge any flaw in his game, no matter how obvious.

It has never, ever been good - Most Carlton supporters know this - I'm not sure about WCE supporters...

Despite that, he had a couple of assists/contributions last night by just bombing the ball in long, but with direction after ridiculous baulking and run and carry.

For not being a good kick, he does however have one of the best weighted high passes in the league.

Im not saying his not a gun. This is just one area of his game that if he improved it would take him to an even higher level

You do not watch him if you are saying this, the fact is Judd has 3 or 4 players on him, Watch the Saints game the had 2 taggers face him not facing the ball to try and stop him. He always has some holding him well before the ball is near him, this also happens to Ablett. They are often tackled before they get the ball but for some reason its not a free.

He isn't any where near his West Coast days. Too often commentators get caught up in his hype, he has recaptured some of his blistering pace but his disposal his not good, let alone elite.

I guess opposition coaches over rate him as well. Why else would you have hayes, goddard, montagna and jones all try and tag him last night.

I would like to know his kicking efficiency.

He butchered the ball last night.

He was truly brilliant at extracting the ball (and the commentators were gushing as they should)

But then it suddenly fell quite when the kick missed the target by 10 metres and went over the line.

Not good enough for the superstar he is.

Mate watch the game again, try and learn something about the game, Its not how many time you get it, it's what you do with it when you do. The same thing is for kicking how many good kicked end in goal compared his bad kicks that went to a 50/50. It's easy to pic shit at the best clearance player in the league.

This year his kicking has seemed to be worse than usual. He usually hits up the forward pretty well but this year they have been short or wide of the mark. Hopefully will improve come september, lol........

Still, we are a 5 goal better side with him in the side

Remove this Banner Ad

Chris Judd's Kicking Efficiency

Remove this Banner Ad

Back