Opinion Chris Scott's coaching - PART III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah can’t remember Walker playing down back.
I thought Walker was moved to defense a few times every odd game. Might be wrong, in that case he still played forward. Mitch Brown is going ok at the Bombers would have preferred him on Roughead than Zuthrie thats for sure.

I thought Walker was moved to defense a few times every odd game. Might be wrong, in that case he still played forward. Mitch Brown is going ok at the Bombers would have preferred him on Roughead than Zuthrie thats for sure.

Definitely. I wonder what odds you could have got that Brown would keep Jenkins to less goals than Alex Rance at the start of the year.

I'm getting mightily sick of, every time we lose, Chris Scott gets blamed for it. But when we win, Chris Scott gets 0 credit, and it is all attributed to the players.

I get it. Many of you hate Chris Scott and never wanted him appointed Geelong coach. Just admit it.

It is one thing to hold this opinion, but I am more insulted because you can't even be honest.

Your criticism of Chris Scott goes further than match results. I think people like Biggy Boy and others never wanted Scott as coach from day one.

Some here pushed Ken Hinkley, and then chucked their toys when Scott got the job instead. Others still put Mark Thompson with everything to do with our revival, and Chris Scott with none of it.

When there are injuries, Chris Scott's fault. When we lose by less than a kick because of a dodgy free, Chris Scott's fault. He gets blamed for playing youth, but then gets blamed if we play too many experienced guys.

When Geelong win, you give him no credit. According to many of you, Chris Scott ONLY won that flag because of Mark Thompson (I still scratch my head at that logic, since Mark Thompson didn't recruit those players, Stephen Wells did, so he deserves the credit if anything). You minimize CS's achievements, and give credit to Bomber for things he wasn't responsible for. You blame CS for things that happened before he even got to the club.

Instead of masking this as mere criticism, just admit that you are a hater. If you were sincere, you would also give Chris Scott accolades when he makes right decisions and wins games and a premiership.

I might give some of your criticisms more credibility if you were more balanced in your assessment of his coaching, and blamed others for their part in losses as well (i.e. the players).

I give both credit and criticism where it is due, but I am also realistic about our list. Our list isn't as good as the 2007-11 team, so you can't expect it to win as much. There were less teams around in 2007-10, no compromised drafts where the first twenty picks are loaded up between two teams, three years in a row, and the weakening of the father-son rule. There were no academies or as many "leg ups" for interstate sides back then, as there is now. The talent, across the board isn't as available now because the AFL want to strengthen two teams beyond reason.

If Scott had our 2007-2010 list, he would have won more flags, but he only had that for two years, and then had to bring in youngsters. But you spoiled rotten supporters, who have seen your team win more flags in the last ten years than most see in a lifetime, act entitled and expect a flag every year under Scott, or you call for his sacking. You people, who tell a guy who is coaching how to do it better, despite most of you never doing it yourself. Your arrogance is pathetic, and I am ashamed that you follow my team.

You expect a flag from Scott every year, yet you didn't demand the same from Bomber, and he even escaped criticism for his coaching in the 2008 GF (I bet BiggyBoy blames Chris Scott somehow for that as well).

I would love to see Geelong win another flag under Scott , not only for all the normal reasons, but I am curious to find out how BiggyBoy and others will spin it to minimize it having anything to do with Chris Scott, and how he isn't deserving of it. I'd like to see how you cut him out of any praise then.

I would love to see Geelong win another flag under Scott , not only for all the normal reasons, but I am curious to find out how BiggyBoy and others will spin it to minimize it having anything to do with Chris Scott, and how he isn't deserving of it. I'd like to see how you cut him out of any praise then.

We would all love another flag under Scott, but it's not going to happen unfortunately.

So far it looks like us so called haters are right.

Scott goes from playing one of the tallest teams in history to now one of the shortest, the guy clearly has no idea.

Most people with any idea about football would go into the game against the Eagles with a ruck and another KPD, maybe a few more experienced players to play a team interstate.

I'm getting mightily sick of, every time we lose, Chris Scott gets blamed for it. But when we win, Chris Scott gets 0 credit, and it is all attributed to the players.

I get it. Many of you hate Chris Scott and never wanted him appointed Geelong coach. Just admit it.

It is one thing to hold this opinion, but I am more insulted because you can't even be honest.

Your criticism of Chris Scott goes further than match results. I think people like Biggy Boy and others never wanted Scott as coach from day one.

Some here pushed Ken Hinkley, and then chucked their toys when Scott got the job instead. Others still put Mark Thompson with everything to do with our revival, and Chris Scott with none of it.

When there are injuries, Chris Scott's fault. When we lose by less than a kick because of a dodgy free, Chris Scott's fault. He gets blamed for playing youth, but then gets blamed if we play too many experienced guys.

When Geelong win, you give him no credit. According to many of you, Chris Scott ONLY won that flag because of Mark Thompson (I still scratch my head at that logic, since Mark Thompson didn't recruit those players, Stephen Wells did, so he deserves the credit if anything). You minimize CS's achievements, and give credit to Bomber for things he wasn't responsible for. You blame CS for things that happened before he even got to the club.

Instead of masking this as mere criticism, just admit that you are a hater. If you were sincere, you would also give Chris Scott accolades when he makes right decisions and wins games and a premiership.

I might give some of your criticisms more credibility if you were more balanced in your assessment of his coaching, and blamed others for their part in losses as well (i.e. the players).

I give both credit and criticism where it is due, but I am also realistic about our list. Our list isn't as good as the 2007-11 team, so you can't expect it to win as much. There were less teams around in 2007-10, no compromised drafts where the first twenty picks are loaded up between two teams, three years in a row, and the weakening of the father-son rule. There were no academies or as many "leg ups" for interstate sides back then, as there is now. The talent, across the board isn't as available now because the AFL want to strengthen two teams beyond reason.

If Scott had our 2007-2010 list, he would have won more flags, but he only had that for two years, and then had to bring in youngsters. But you spoiled rotten supporters, who have seen your team win more flags in the last ten years than most see in a lifetime, act entitled and expect a flag every year under Scott, or you call for his sacking. You people, who tell a guy who is coaching how to do it better, despite most of you never doing it yourself. Your arrogance is pathetic, and I am ashamed that you follow my team.

You expect a flag from Scott every year, yet you didn't demand the same from Bomber, and he even escaped criticism for his coaching in the 2008 GF (I bet BiggyBoy blames Chris Scott somehow for that as well).

What a melt. Thanks for the PM too.

So many point wrong We did expect to win 2008 and 2010 and goodness don't even go near 2006- Thompson stuffed those years up. Scott has stuffed up 2012, 2013, 2016,2017 by not getting us past a prelim. I don't go to the footy just to say that I have had a day out-like many at KP seem to do satisfied that the games are still on ads they have been for the past 50years- I go to see them win H&A games, to win Grand Finals. Just like the players do. So yes my expectation is a premiership each year. I can accept defeat if we play 4 quarters of good football, if the best team available has been played, if the players are fit and skilled and play as a team. If that is not there, as it has not been in the last two games then I get cross. Cross that I have wasted my money and my time.
No our team is not as good as 2007-11 but neither was the Bulldogs or Richmond, they just worked harder and wanted it more.
So go away with your defense of Chris Scott. He is the Senior Coach and criticism goes with the job. And right now it lays squarely at his feet.
If he can do better in the next 19 games good for him but until then he cops it.

I don't know whether I for example blame Chris Scott or Mark Blicavs.

On one account he can only do so much with Blicavs out on the field. But on the other hand he loves Blicavs and is the very reason Blicavs is out on the field.

I'd say whilst he can't make players better. He can get a better grasp on how to appropriately rate his players, and structure a team accordingly.

I don't hate the bloke by any means, however you have to question his endeavour. Going into a game without a recognised ruckman (yes Stanley is shit but he would have done better than blitz) for "tactical" reasons is mind blowing and needs to be recognised as a major error.
This is his 8th year as senior coach and the same issues exist. Serious Questions need to be asked when a team can be so horrific in a half of football then come out and play unstoppable football.

I want answers but all we get from his press conferences is "we recognise there's an issue, but we won't discuss it publicly".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We would all love another flag under Scott, but it's not going to happen unfortunately.

So far it looks like us so called haters are right.

Scott goes from playing one of the tallest teams in history to now one of the shortest, the guy clearly has no idea.

Most people with any idea about football would go into the game against the Eagles with a ruck and another KPD, maybe a few more experienced players to play a team interstate.

...and I bet you like being right too, don't you? Being right is more important than a flag to you.

Scott has been forced to play a smaller team because of injuries. Besides, didn't Richmond win a flag with a small team? Maybe that is the way to go.

So many point wrong We did expect to win 2008 and 2010 and goodness don't even go near 2006- Thompson stuffed those years up. Scott has stuffed up 2012, 2013, 2016,2017 by not getting us past a prelim. I don't go to the footy just to say that I have had a day out-like many at KP seem to do satisfied that the games are still on ads they have been for the past 50years- I go to see them win H&A games, to win Grand Finals. Just like the players do. So yes my expectation is a premiership each year. I can accept defeat if we play 4 quarters of good football, if the best team available has been played, if the players are fit and skilled and play as a team. If that is not there, as it has not been in the last two games then I get cross. Cross that I have wasted my money and my time.
No our team is not as good as 2007-11 but neither was the Bulldogs or Richmond, they just worked harder and wanted it more.
So go away with your defense of Chris Scott. He is the Senior Coach and criticism goes with the job. And right now it lays squarely at his feet.
If he can do better in the next 19 games good for him but until then he cops it.

I look forward to you giving credit to Chris Scott when he starts winning.

I know it won't happen, though.

...and I bet you like being right too, don't you? Being right is more important than a flag to you.

Scott has been forced to play a smaller team because of injuries. Besides, didn't Richmond win a flag with a small team? Maybe that is the way to go.

No, he wouldn't.

Richmond won a flag with small players yes, but they applied massive pressure around the ball and hunted the ball carrier.
We aren't Richmond.

He cops it
every week, win or lose, off season, in season.
There is no let-up. The thread had to be stopped over summer.
In some ways, being forced to play so many kids now will be great for this team, and we'd better get used to losing > winning which is inevitable when this happens.

I don't hate the bloke by any means, however you have to question his endeavour. Going into a game without a recognised ruckman (yes Stanley is shit but he would have done better than blitz) for "tactical" reasons is mind blowing and needs to be recognised as a major error.
This is his 8th year as senior coach and the same issues exist. Serious Questions need to be asked when a team can be so horrific in a half of football then come out and play unstoppable football.

I want answers but all we get from his press conferences is "we recognise there's an issue, but we won't discuss it publicly".

"You have to question his endeavour".

What about the players' endeavour? What about their work ethics?

You people are so in love with the players you never blame them for stuffing up (unless it is a player you don't like like Stanley or Blicavs).

It wasn't Chris Scott missing easy shots at goal. It wasn't Chris Scott who doesn't tackle in finals. It isn't Chris Scott who turns the ball over.

The coach can only give instructions. It is up to the players to implement them, and if they don't, why not hold them responsible? Why let the players off the hook?

When we won flags, the players got all the credit. Yet it wasn't Thompson who missed shots at goal in the 2008 GF.

People need to start blaming players for what players do. Blame the coach for bad tactics, but not for injuries, poor skill execution, lack of effort or bad kicking at goal.

If you want answers, call the club. Scott is not going to reveal to the world what our problems are, for the consumption of the media. But you won't call, because you would rather whinge than actually call the club and seek answers.

Maybe it is you who lacks endeavour!

He cops it every week, win or lose, off season, in season.
There is no let-up. The thread had to be stopped over summer.
In some ways, being forced to play so many kids now will be great for this team, and we'd better get used to losing > winning which is inevitable when this happens.

Good point.

While we would rather play our best 22, our injury situation has created one positive, it has got games into youngsters who would not have got them otherwise.

It fast-tracks the development of Mark O'Connor, Tim Kelly, Estava Ratagoulea, Jack Henry, Zack Guthrie, and has taught Kolojadsnij how to play full-back full-time. They will be better for the experience.

However, many supporters here are too impatient, and want success now.

"Yes my expectation is for the flag every year".

Then we better not do a rebuild then, since total rebuilds mean playing a lot of 18-22 year olds, and usually they don't win flags that young (with a couple of exceptions, all who crashed and burnt the next year).

I hope you are not one of the critics of Scott's replenishment of the list, or getting in players from other clubs, since we are closer to a flag doing that than playing an entirely young list.

I would hate to see how you carried on during our 44 year drought. I bet you wanted every coach between Bob Davis and Mark Thompson sacked, since none of them brought us a flag.

Here's a question. If Chris Scott gets ALL the criticism when we lose, does he get ALL the credit when we win? If not, why not? What about the players?

How come you didn't expect a flag when Thompson was there in 2000-2005 as well.

Hang on, you said you EXPECT one every year. Near enough isn't good enough for you. Yet you single out only the last ten years as your focus, when 44 years before that, we failed to win a flag every season.

You would have been unbearable during our premiership drought of 44 years, since you can't even handle a 7 year drought.

"Yes my expectation is for the flag every year".

Then we better not do a rebuild then, since total rebuilds mean playing a lot of 18-22 year olds, and usually they don't win flags that young (with a couple of exceptions, all who crashed and burnt the next year).

I hope you are not one of the critics of Scott's replenishment of the list, or getting in players from other clubs, since we are closer to a flag doing that than playing an entirely young list.

I would hate to see how you carried on during our 44 year drought. I bet you wanted every coach between Bob Davis and Mark Thompson sacked, since none of them brought us a flag.

Here's a question. If Chris Scott gets ALL the criticism when we lose, does he get ALL the credit when we win? If not, why not? What about the players?[/QUOTE]
geelong_crazy26, some others, and I bring this up a lot- never gets addressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back