Chris Tarrant trade talk (merged threads)

Remove this Banner Ad

The Geelong deal makes some sense. In their minds they have the number one pick (Hawkins) but get him under father son super cheap. Add the fact that Bomber needs success next year and you could see a deal being done.

The first deal sounds the best for the Pies although I would be prepared to trade Taz for pick 7 on its own.

Linda_Lovelace said:
The first deal sounds the best for the Pies although I would be prepared to trade Taz for pick 7 on its own.
Yeah, but you probably wouldn't add Lonie to the deal unless we were getting something else back, which would be where Kelly comes in.

I mean, Lonie has his flaws, but he averaged 18 disposals per game this year, and he uses the ball impeccably. He actually improved his defensive game this year, and became a decent tackler. So all in all, Lonie does have some value if he is to be included in a trade.

FIGJAM said:
They actually sound like plausible trade scenarios, and have literally no place on these boards!

;)

On SEN Micheal Stevens from the Herrald Sun said their had been talk about Tarrant to Geelong for a pick and Steve Johnson who the pies are keen on.

Brownless pretty much said not on and that we didn't need Tarrant. Still thinks Charlie and Henry can do the job :rolleyes:

Thing is Collingwood would trade Taz for a 1st round pick and Kelly or Johnson but Geelong would only do it for a 2nd round pick and Kelly or Johnson.

IMO he's only worth the latter but Collingwood hold the cards therefore I doubt the trade will happen as neither club is desperate.

I actually disagree, I think Geelong are desperate. They had their review and left things pretty much as is. As such Costa, Bomber and Cook will be very keen to have a good year next year and will want to give themselves every chance.

Geelong need a forward, Hawkins sounds like he will be a gun but his impact in his first year will be limited. N Ablett could fill the role but the jury is still out.

What about Ottens is he required? Don't rate him that highly but he would be a better ruckman than we have and would be on the same dollars (roughly) as Taz.

Re Johnson, can't see it happening, his ankles are shot.

I would love Taz at the cattery but I would hate to give up our first pick (7). However maybe the cats could swap picks as well.

Geelong get Tarrant Lonie 10

Collingwood get Kelly S Johnson 7 & 25

Jack

Collingwood are after picks in the first round so will not exchange theirs (IMO). Our list is pretty poor so we need all the high picks we can get.

I think with Hawkins super cheap you may be prepared to deal your first round.

Jack-Packenham said:
I would love Taz at the cattery but I would hate to give up our first pick (7). However maybe the cats could swap picks as well.

I am SO glad you don't do our recruiting - we would get a drunken moron and one of the league's softest (even softer than what we've already got) and lose our first two picks as well as a potential matchwinner in SJ - why don't you throw in Chapman as well?

Jack-Packenham said:

Moving up 3 places in this years draft is alot

Geelong: Tarrant and pick 10
Collingwood : Pick 7,25, Kelly

Getting closer to the mark. Pick 7 will get a much better player than pick 10. Could very well mean that young ruckman bloke who the pies would love or Jetta

Rosella said:
I am SO glad you don't do our recruiting - we would get a drunken moron and one of the league's softest (even softer than what we've already got) and lose our first two picks as well as a potential matchwinner in SJ - why don't you throw in Chapman as well?

Ditto re: Jack doing our recruiting. I would however be prepared to trade our 2nd round pick (25) plus SJ for Tarrant.

Rosella said:

Drunken moron. Our whole list goes out drinking every weekend so are they drunken morons. Agreed Lonie may be softer than what we have but the difference is that he can actually hit a target or kick a goal from 50 unlike Wocjinski, Tenace, BYrnes, Enright. Ling etc.

Believe me if I was doing the recruiting I wouldn't have drafted Playfair, Gardiner, McCarthy, Spencer or Kingsley.

BigCat1 said:
Thing is Collingwood would trade Taz for a 1st round pick and Kelly or Johnson but Geelong would only do it for a 2nd round pick and Kelly or Johnson.

IMO he's only worth the latter but Collingwood hold the cards therefore I doubt the trade will happen as neither club is desperate.
Pick 7 makes it difficult for you, but a second round pick plus and erratic midfielder (with injury and/or application issues) is not even close to what Tarrant is worth.

A first round pick is not negotiable.

Plus Pick 7 is cursed. But we also sell frozen yoghurt! But the frozen yoghurt is also cursed....

Tarrant is worth more than Kelly plus a 2nd round pick, pick 7 alone would probably be a bit fairer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can someone please tell me what Geelong gave up for Ottens? After all he was recruited as a forward and has not done the job.

When we as Pie fans look at Tarrants trade value we use trades like Ottens (and Thompson, Hay and Rawlings) to give us an idea of value. I would say as a forward Tarrant is in front of all of them. Maybe they were over-priced but they have set the bench mark.

year of the cat said:
Crap - Tarrant whilst being very useful is spasmodic with his form and is certainly no champion.

Where did I say that Tarrant is a champion??

He is worth more than a slow midfielder who struggled to get into the cats team late in the year and a 2nd round pick.

Linda_Lovelace said:
Can someone please tell me what Geelong gave up for Ottens? After all he was recruited as a forward and has not done the job.

When we as Pie fans look at Tarrants trade value we use trades like Ottens (and Thompson, Hay and Rawlings) to give us an idea of value. I would say as a forward Tarrant is in front of all of them. Maybe they were over-priced but they have set the bench mark.

Brent Moloney and pick 16.

Which in this draft is about the equivelant of pick 25 and Kelly.

Linda_Lovelace said:

Tarrant's worth as much as a club is willing to pay, and that's depended on alot of things such as how desperate they are to get a forward.

Previous deals are meaningless, just because the tiger r*ped the cats a couple seasons ago doesn't mean that the pies will as well, although Thompson is still in charge so who knows, you might get lucky ;)

Jarka said:
Previous deals are meaningless, just because the tiger r*ped the cats a couple seasons ago doesn't mean that the pies will as well, although Thompson is still in charge so who knows, you might get lucky ;)

Brad Ottens has played about 40 games for the cats and has been ok in most and great in a couple.

Brent Moloney has played about 20 games with little impact for Melbourne.
Adam Pattison has played about 10 games with little impact for Richmond.

To say the cats got r*ped is wide of the mark. No club has won or lost on this deal yet.

Jack-Packenham said:
Brad Ottens has played about 40 games for the cats and has been ok in most and great in a couple.

To say the cats got r*ped is wide of the mark. No club has won or lost on this deal yet.

So the cats traded away two first round draft picks for a player who has been mostly 'ok' and you think that the cats didn't lose out??

Jarka said:
Tarrant's worth as much as a club is willing to pay, and that's depended on alot of things such as how desperate they are to get a forward.

Ottens was also traded to Geelong in a draft year not considered anywhere near as strong as this year. Of course there is always risk associated with any trade and there will be winners and losers. But Ottens has been a lot better than most critics would give him credit for.

year of the cat said:
But Ottens has been a lot better than most critics would give him credit for.

No he hasn't. He's been averaging about 11 touches since he moved over and has kicked 50 goals in two seasons, I think he's ranked 13th in hitouts this year. Those are not the stats of a great player (giving away 2 first round picks for a player you'd expect them to be a great player).

Considering his age he should be in the prime of his career but his form is going backward compared to his early days at the tigers.

Jack-Packenham said:

I wouldnt say little impact at Melbourne, not even close. Besides, he's been out for most of the season :rolleyes:

Chris Tarrant stays a magpie.

Collingwood football manager Neil Balme will confirm at the Lexus centre tomorrow in a media conference at 2pm that Chris will remain a pie in the 2007 season. Neil was rung and he confirmed this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Chris Tarrant trade talk (merged threads)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back