Phantom Draft Chris25's 2011 Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: A Mock Draft In June?

im starting to realise how poor this draft is compared to last.

sparse quality after pick 7.

i like the little ive heard about liam sumner. why would waldhuter go at 10?? doesnt seem to find alot of the ball off the hbf for sa so far in these champs. with out seeing waldhuter does he look much better than other strong mids that showed early but dropped off before the 2010 draft ie, mitch hallahan, parker, fasola etc..

i can see few elite selwood/ dusty martin/ trengove type mids in that group. only coniglio and wingard.. is their such a big gap between them and the next group as i think??

Too early to make this call. Drafts always seem weak early on but as it gets closer to December a ton of names pop up. Even 2009 had decent depth up until 30ish. It'll be similar to that.

I think that Hawks may be forced to offer up their first round to secure Tom Curran under the father-son rule if his form continues.

We seem to be a bit short of 195 cm key defenders with good hands at the moment.

Forgot about Curran being another father-son pick. I'd probably have him around the third round on the open market at this stage, but as you said he could rise with some continued good form especially given the lack of real competition at the moment. Hawthorn are doing the right thing though, watching but not committing.

Mitchell is the only F/S pick really worth a first rounder right now for me. I only had Buckley going in the first round because Carlton are committed to him, so why not make them use their first rounder?

Bussey is one of those I included more so because I find him to be an interesting prospect. Like you said, he has the size but more importantly he moves really well for someone his size. Can imagine teams liking what he offers given the way the game is played at the moment.

Hopefully he can nail down a spot up forward rather than just being a big bit part player, because there aren't a heap of key position players standing up at the moment. Outside the top group, there are still plenty of spots up for grabs for talls. That could help him move up into the first round.

He really did move well and read the play nicely down back. Obviously there is a bit of competition for talls up forward at Vic Metro with Patton, Curran, Tomlinson, Richards and occasionally Frost though. Proving himself at Centre Half Back might be his best bet for the time being.

For anyone saying this is a weak draft you have to remember GWS already signed some top quality players as 17 year olds last year (Shiel,Treloar,Hampton,Cameron,Golds) all would be possible first round draftees and Shiel I think would've been a top 3 pick.

Shiel and Treloar would have gone 1 and 2. The Giants 12 17 yr olds are much much much much much better than GC's 12. We were very lucky alot of players and B-days between Jan and April.

Coligino and Patton will be 1 and 2 this year for sure

why would waldhuter go at 10?? doesnt seem to find alot of the ball off the hbf for sa so far in these champs. with out seeing waldhuter does he look much better than other strong mids that showed early but dropped off before the 2010 draft ie, mitch hallahan, parker, fasola etc...

Waldhuter has had an interesting championships so far. Was BOG against the NSW/ACT team, and although he hasn't been winning a heap of the ball he has been doing everything else right. He was highly rated for being a genuine footballer prior to the championships, so I don't think a few quiet games will hurt him.

He and Parker are probably quite similar though, and it will be interesting to watch what happens. Like a lot of these tough players, he will need to test well later in the year to avoid being typecast as an inside or lockdown player.

Speaking of SA mids, Mitchell Grigg is doing his standing no harm. Nice kick on him, I see him as a midfield version of Suban. Definitely a player I wouldn't be saying no to.

Great effort as usual Chris. :thumbsu:

Can I get your thoughts on Dylan Buckley?

Firstly, on where he would be taken if not for F/S. There is a bit of talk on our board whether we should be using our first rounder on him or not even if we have committed to taking him.

Secondly, thoughts on his strengths and weaknesses.

Would really appreciate it.

Forgot about Curran being another father-son pick. I'd probably have him around the third round on the open market at this stage, but as you said he could rise with some continued good form especially given the lack of real competition at the moment. Hawthorn are doing the right thing though, watching but not committing.

Mitchell is the only F/S pick really worth a first rounder right now for me. I only had Buckley going in the first round because Carlton are committed to him, so why not make them use their first rounder?

Thanks Chris.

I would think he is an absolute certainty to be picked up by the Hawks as a father-son, they might be playing him down in an attempt to deflate his value, he is also missing Vic Metro & Oakleigh games to play school footy, can anything be read into that in your opinion?

Emma Quayle has rated him a probable 25-40 pick on the open market at this stage.
He is definitely high on the radar of the recruitment managers of a few clubs so he might end up costing us our first rounder.

Thanks Chris.

Emma Quayle has rated him a probable 25-40 pick on the open market at this stage.

just curious as to where you saw that??

has she posted any articles on the draft yet?? i always look forward to her stuff ( as we all do)

thanks chris,

yeah i think camp testing will be quite important for waldhuter and grigg too. probably be some interest in the height / weights of a few guys as well. im gonna take a guess at anywhere from 15-34 for waldhuter. how does clay smith compare to waldhuter?? he sounds kinda similiar from what ive heard..

will the underagers that are being looked at go to the draft camp?? that could be a giveaway if 5-8 guys are picked to go to the camp about who will be selected ( although we all know omeara is a certainty)
looking at omeara he is a deadset gun, one of the wa teams will get him, and you would think that one of the sa teams might end up with one of kennedy/ toumpas/ grundy. shannon taylor has also been good for wa.

has grundy been the best performed ruck so far at these champs??

Can I get your thoughts on Dylan Buckley?

Firstly, on where he would be taken if not for F/S. There is a bit of talk on our board whether we should be using our first rounder on him or not even if we have committed to taking him.

Secondly, thoughts on his strengths and weaknesses.

I haven't seen a great deal of Buckley, especially with him missing the championships. Also I don't tend to put a huge focus on the F/S selections, because we all know who will pick them up. I would love to know if anyone has an official height/weight for him, because I'm assuming he has grown a bit since the last measurement I have.

But from what I have seen, I wouldn't have him as a first rounder. Small guys aren't typically highly sought after, unless they have a particularly good inside game (like Prestia). Buckley seems like just a flanker to me. He'll be an improvement over Armfield, but he was a middle round mature aged pickup.

Someone like Christensen a few years ago, dropped to the third round in a relatively weak draft class. And he had greater midfield ability than Buckley in my opinion.

Can't fault his attack on the ball though and his skills are decent. Assuming Carlton finish top four, their second round pick (around 40) would probably be more fitting. But given Carlton have practically signed him already, I'd definitely be forcing them to use their first rounder.

will the underagers that are being looked at go to the draft camp?? that could be a giveaway if 5-8 guys are picked to go to the camp about who will be selected ( although we all know omeara is a certainty)
looking at omeara he is a deadset gun, one of the wa teams will get him, and you would think that one of the sa teams might end up with one of kennedy/ toumpas/ grundy. shannon taylor has also been good for wa.

I've given up on trying to predict which 17 year olds will get traded.

My first thought was that GWS would hold off on O'Meara, and draft him themselves next year (assuming they finish last). I know everyone loves Whitfield and for good reason, but if the rumours about who GWS have signed is correct (Scully and Palmer for example) then O'Meara would be an awesome fit.

Garlett and Yarran would both be highly fancied, while I'm expecting both SA teams to go after Kennedy and Port Adelaide to chase Grundy too. Crouch and Stringer will both have their fans among Victorian clubs.

The only guarantee is that they will save one of the four trades for next year and Jack Martin. So how can you pick just three of O'Meara, Yarran, Garlett, Kennedy, Grundy, Crouch and Stringer?

I think it's still too early to tell with key defenders.

Right now, Michael Talia is the only one I'd be really comfortable with. Not sure if he is necessarily early round material though, due to being solid if not spectacular. Piva Wright looks to be quality too, but is undersized which wouldn't exactly help Richmond. Being undersized seems a bit of a trend this year.

I like both Adam Tomlinson and Fraser McInness, haven't seen enough of Sam Frost but he has his fans. Michael Bussey needs to be settled either up forward or down back, so he could be another option.

But seeing as we're talking about Richmond, I'd be keeping Will Thursfield. I really wanted Fremantle to trade for him during the offseason. I would love to see him given a shot in a good Richmond side, because I think it's fair to say he hasn't exactly been surrounded by quality in his career so far.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for putting some names out there Chris25.

In regards to GC picking Matthew Buntine at pick 4. I don't know much about him other than he is a 188cm defender. We have a lot of players around this size already. Is he that good that we would take him at pick #4?

Also, GC and Brisbane will most likely be getting some extra compo and priority picks in the Pick #27 - #33 range. Any suggestions as to which players would be the "next cabs off the rank"?

Cheers
TSG

In regards to GC picking Matthew Buntine at pick 4. I don't know much about him other than he is a 188cm defender. We have a lot of players around this size already. Is he that good that we would take him at pick #4?

Is there anything that the Gold Coast really need though? Quality is quality.

Buntine is a favourite of mine. Plays quite a bit like Goddard, in that he is an attacking defender/midfielder more than an actual tall defender. He has good foot skills, and I could just imagine him on one side and McKenzie on the other. Who do you tag?

Also, GC and Brisbane will most likely be getting some extra compo and priority picks in the Pick #27 - #33 range. Any suggestions as to which players would be the "next cabs off the rank"?

Haydn Hector, Mitch Grigg, Luke Brown and Sam Milne are some of the midfielders that were on the cusp. And I mentioned Michael Talia, Piva Wright and Fraser McInness before as some talls.

My hope is that Fremantle get an end of first round compensation pick for Rhys Palmer, and we then take Shane Kersten either with our first rounder or with that compensation pick. So obviously he is another I rate.

Great effort so early out Chris

Just wanting to know some more names, who would be the top 3 - 4 names in the KPP stocks for both ends of the ground, would love to hear who else there is outside of the already mentioned Patton and Talia.

Thanks Chris :thumbsu:

I've given up on trying to predict which 17 year olds will get traded.

My first thought was that GWS would hold off on O'Meara, and draft him themselves next year (assuming they finish last). I know everyone loves Whitfield and for good reason, but if the rumours about who GWS have signed is correct (Scully and Palmer for example) then O'Meara would be an awesome fit.

Garlett and Yarran would both be highly fancied, while I'm expecting both SA teams to go after Kennedy and Port Adelaide to chase Grundy too. Crouch and Stringer will both have their fans among Victorian clubs.

The only guarantee is that they will save one of the four trades for next year and Jack Martin. So how can you pick just three of O'Meara, Yarran, Garlett, Kennedy, Grundy, Crouch and Stringer?

people have to remember when they are talking about these trades is that you have no currency offering gws an out of contract player.

no use claiming palmer (if he is out of contract) for omeara. why would gws do that??

draft picks would have almost zero currency as well. what will have the most currency will be the compo picks. also contracted players may have currency if gws wants to get them in now rather than wait a year.

stringer broke his leg didnt he??

if pafc have the choice of longer v grundy for their first pick ild take grundy, so in my mind ild offer pearce + 1st pick (4-8 which could be used in a 3way with another club) to get both grundy and kennedy. would be very hard to get 2 though!

Been a bit of talk about the top 3, and whether it is set in stone or not. Personally I think it is, I wouldn't be skipping over Wingard in favour of Longer.

The way I look at it, if Gold Coast finish last I'm not sure they would go for Longer as they have some quality ruckmen already. And if Port finish last, they would absolutely take Wingard but not necessarily Longer (especially if they have their eye on Grundy). Either way, I think there would be a better chance of Longer lasting until #5 than Wingard.

Also, I don't think Longer is that much better than Bolger. If it wasn't for injury, Bolger could well be considered as the #1 ruckman in this years draft. I would be more than happy with Wingard and Bolger.

Just wanting to know some more names, who would be the top 3 - 4 names in the KPP stocks for both ends of the ground, would love to hear who else there is outside of the already mentioned Patton and Talia.

That's the problem I'm having with KPPs, outside of the top few nobody else has really stood up and staked their claim at this point. Quite a few are undersized, yet to establish themselves at either end of the ground or are currently injured.

If I had to commit right now, then I suppose I would go something like this...

Forwards - Patton, Elton, Kersten, Bussey
Defenders - Talia, Wright, Tomlinson, McInnes

But even then, guys like Bussey and Tomlinson have both played at either end. So having them listed as a forward and defender respectively is more just what I prefer them as. Wright is undersized too, being a couple of centimetres smaller than Seb Tape was last year.

Outside of that lot, I'm really interested in Aseri Raikiwasa from SA. Not super tall (191cm), but has a good enough leap that he can pinch hit in the ruck. I think he'll develop into a nice defender, definitely has the work ethic and leadership that clubs look for.

That's the problem I'm having with KPPs, outside of the top few nobody else has really stood up and staked their claim at this point. Quite a few are undersized, yet to establish themselves at either end of the ground or are currently injured.

If I had to commit right now, then I suppose I would go something like this...

Forwards - Patton, Elton, Kersten, Bussey
Defenders - Talia, Wright, Tomlinson, McInnes

But even then, guys like Bussey and Tomlinson have both played at either end. So having them listed as a forward and defender respectively is more just what I prefer them as. Wright is undersized too, being a couple of centimetres smaller than Seb Tape was last year.

Outside of that lot, I'm really interested in Aseri Raikiwasa from SA. Not super tall (191cm), but has a good enough leap that he can pinch hit in the ruck. I think he'll develop into a nice defender, definitely has the work ethic and leadership that clubs look for.

Thanks bud, seen Dandy a couple of times and (Piva) Wright (?) reminds me of a Josh Gibson/Michael Firrito type defender, fair assumption?

Also of note, of some of last years (overlooked) draftees, some names have really stood out in various state leagues around the country.

Kieran Butcher, 180cm, 78kg, 2.3.92, Midfielder, Peel Thunder

Has played 8 league games and averaged a blistering 22.1 disposals per game, 3 tackles per game, would love to hear what some WAFL watchers have to say about his games this year.

Adam Marcon, 181cm, 79kg, 28.7.92, Midfielder, Northern Bullants

Has made an easy transtion from TAC footy to regular senior footy, playing regular senior footy in premiership contender Northern Bullants midfielder and doing a very reasonable job. Still surprised why he was overlooked to be honest.

Johnathan Beech, 185cm, 81kg, 9.11.90, Midfielder, West Adelaide

Now playing regular footy for Wests, Beech has been a constant threat around goals and has already bagged 8 goals from 10 games including a bag of 4 against North's. Another interesting prospect.

Josh Marchback, 200cm, 88kg, 7.5.92, Ruckmen, Box Hill Hawks

Has played 6 games in VFL ranks but to break through for a senior gig in a strong Box Hill line up is no mean feet. Was a favorite of mine pre draft and keen to see him for the rest of the year in the seniors at VFL level.

Aaron Elari, 176cm, 75kg, 24.9.91, Midfielder, Perth

Another favorite of mine, has been a very good contributor for Perth in the past two seasons, averaging 20 possessions over the past two season, whilst displaying a knack around goals, a prowess for the contest and a good link up player. Would not be surprised to see someone give the kid a rookie spot.

Tim Northe, 175cm, 68kg, 24.3.29, Small Forward, Box Hill Hawks

Has started to play regular senior footy and been doing well for a young small forward. Kicked 3 goals in the weekend loss to Bendigo Bombers but was named second best.

And while we are at it, another name to consider is,

Thomas Sundberg, 182cm, 78kg, 22.12.88, Utility, VFL Magpies

A line breaking left footer from the Collingwood Magpies, he has been in the best (voted) Collingwood's best player in all of his 9 games bar 2 and was still in amongst the best. A versatile player who is capable of playing any where and has done everything possible to thrust his name in front of recruiters.

Just throwing some names out there from the state leagues, thinking that the "obsession with youth" is starting to waiver a little bit, and starting to see some of these more mature guys get a gig.

I tend to prefer the new guys rather than looking back at those overlooked personally.

But, David Kruse has moved up to Cairns this year and is showing more of his natural talent. Matthew Rankine has played some league football for West Adelaide, and Justin Monaco has spent time up forward in the WAFL reserves.

As for some older guys who haven't had the chance, I'd consider Brayden O'Hara and Nat Caruso from the SANFL and Haydn Busher, Graham Jetta and Kane Mitchell from the WAFL.

I tend to prefer the new guys rather than looking back at those overlooked personally.

But, David Kruse has moved up to Cairns this year and is showing more of his natural talent. Matthew Rankine has played some league football for West Adelaide, and Justin Monaco has spent time up forward in the WAFL reserves.

As for some older guys who haven't had the chance, I'd consider Brayden O'Hara and Nat Caruso from the SANFL and Haydn Busher, Graham Jetta and Kane Mitchell from the WAFL.

These guys were more for later spots, just between you and me, Butcher's stats are to good to say no to though.

For a 19 y.o to average over 20 disposals is doing bloody good for himself.

Just remember seeing someone say that this years draft was a little light on for midfielders (185cm +) and some previous overlooked draftees may be considered so went into it a little further.

Did like Monaco, doing nicely in the west.

Good first effort Chris.

Must get mine going soon also. Might post once champs are finished.

One player who has been surprisingly disappointing so far has been Matthew Rankine. Had him around that top 5 mark also but has dropped a fair bit down my rankings. After that game from Crozier I'd be tempted to have him going to Gold Coast at 4 at this stage with them adding a Talia type defender in the 2nd round.

One player who has been surprisingly disappointing so far has been Matthew Rankine. Had him around that top 5 mark also but has dropped a fair bit down my rankings.

Are we talking about the same player?

Rankine was a favourite of mine last year, and although he came over to train with Fremantle prior to the rookie draft, we didn't have a spot for him then. Might just need to improve on his kicking a bit, but with his speed and attack, I'd like to think he will get another look in this year, but I don't imagine that being earlier than the late rounds or rookie draft again.

That would probably be the one. Was trying to work out who Knightmare meant, I was thinking SA kids so Buntine didn't occur to me. I do love to talk up my favourites though, so I'll take any chance to talk about Rankine.

As for Buntine, he had a good first up match but then didn't play against the NT. And he was injured pretty early on against SA, so he hasn't really had a chance to shine yet in the championships.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back