Phantom Draft Chris25's 2011 Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: A Mock Draft In June?

I would imagine Sydney would give him a shot in the rookie draft. He has had a decent Championships, outperforming the Fremantle scholarship holder Thomas Head (although Lynch is a year older). Lynch works and tackles hard, so that is a big plus for a forward.

I quite like Sydney's young tall forwards (Reid, Johnston, Everitt, Haren) so I figure they probably wont look for one early and instead will just lock in someone like Lynch late.

Think he is 21 now, but I don't mind what I've seen of him. Solid ball winner, will all depend on where teams view his ceiling as being. There are a few 'mature aged' WAFL players who might get a look in ahead of him though - Blackwell, Cook, Mitchell, Jetta and maybe even Palumbo just to name a few (Lee and Busher too if I had my way). Wouldn't mind seeing a couple of old Dockers in Foster and O'Brien getting another shot too.

Blackwell definitely, also Brabazon and Mitchell...wow, they're all Claremont players aren't they? I think both O'Brien's have enough to star at WAFL level, but not the quality that is required at AFL, although Brock could make quite a handy forward pocket in the AFL.

Claremont could realistically lose Blackwell, Brabazon, Mitchell, Lee, Wilkes and Foster. Someone like Schammer could decide to head home to SA next year too.

Brock definitely has the quality in my opinion. Someone who had as many injuries as he did, doesn't survive on an AFL list for no reason. I hope he gets another shot, he was a personal favourite of mine at Fremantle.

There has been a bit of talk about mature aged draftees, both in mine and Knightmare's threads, so I thought I would offer up my picks of the mature aged group.

Ex-AFL players Luke Blackwell and Ryan Cook are very good chances to make returns. Blackwell has the form, although I would go with Cook. I always liked him at Collingwood, and he seems to be working harder now. And Beau Wilkes seems certain to head to GWS. But people already know about them.

Staying in WA, Kane Mitchell would probably be on a list already if he were bigger. He is a hard midfielder and a genuine ball winner who can also play a tagging role, but he stands at just 174cm. That has to limit his options at the next level, and although his kicking could use some work he could easily come in and play a role.

Graham Jetta will get a shot this year. I'm pretty comfortable saying that, and I wouldn't mind if it was at Fremantle. He turns 25 this year and again is just 175cm, but he is a very good small defender. I was a big fan of Puopolo last year, and Jetta is just as good.

WA do have a couple of talls who I would happily pick up in the draft. Haydn Busher is a big strong KPP, and is still only 20. He played for WA in the U18, was named at CHB in the Colts team of the year that same season and has since gone onto playing consistent league football. After playing in defence last year, he has moved forward this season and has 22 goals in 13 games. I see him as a Nathan Bock type player.

The other WA tall I really like is Tom Lee. Lee was drafted by Adelaide a couple of years ago as a project tall, but was let go after just one season. Not sure what happened behind the scenes, but he was never going to be a quick fix. He is up to 194cm and 94kg and still only 20 years old, and he hasn't lost any of the athleticism or natural talent that got him drafted in the first place.

And I don't just have a fixation with WA. If he were on either list, Queenslander Dayne Zorko would currently be playing for both Brisbane and the Gold Coast. Another short player, but he is a ball magnet and a very good small forward.

The other two from up North that I like are defenders David Kruse and Mitch Taylor. Kruse left the NT in favour of Cairns while Taylor is still with the Wanderers I believe. Realistically Taylor probably wont get a chance, but Kruse has the quality to play as a third tall off half back.

There are also a handful from Victoria and SA that I like, but I'll look at them later on today.

Time for a South Australian, and I'm going to say that Brayden O'Hara will be the next Duigan. He turns 24 this year, and could easily come into a team and start straight away. Unfortunately, he did break his collarbone earlier this year so has missed a fair bit of football, but really anyone with their eye on him will already know what he offers. He has a good set of hands on him, but his kicking is the strongest part of his game as he has a huge left boot. Nobody except Central Districts fans like Central Districts, but there is no denying he has been involved with a successful team and he has been a key part in it.

Not really sure about any other guys from the SANFL who could make the transition. I really like watching Nat Caruso, is a decent size with big hands and good skills. He turns 26 at draft time, and probably doesn't really have a position at AFL level but I like him anyway. Adam Cockshell could make a return, aggressive ruckman/KPP who has been in good form for South Adelaide since being delisted. Matthew Rankine, Nathan Batley and Darcy Armfield were all overlooked last year but have all improved and will be looking to get drafted this time around.

Mature aged VFL players aren't exactly my strong point, but there are a few I would look at. Oliver Tate, Ben Duscher and Tyson Thomas are three different types of midfielders who could be on the radar of some. Tate is just a solid player, Duscher a bit of a late bloomer and Thomas is another one just starting to find his feet but has good speed.

If I was to take any older player out of the VFL though, it would be Kyle Hartigan. Like Busher, this will be the third year that I have been on his bandwagon. Seems to be developing down back each year, and is looking even better now that some other full backs from the VFL have been drafted. I'd have had him on my rookie list the past two years, so nothing has really changed in my mind.

If you would like some VFL players, just ask and i'll help out buddy ;)

Tom Sundberg WILL be drafted, utility onballer, 180 odd cm, can play anywhere. Will mostly find his nieche as a defender at AFL level that can play a run with role.

Of the older guys, think GWS would be mad not to look at these guys;

Sam Gibson is an absolute weapon, long raking left footer who dominates both inside and out, Box Hill Hawks captain, and is held highly amongst VFL ranks.

Adam Iaccabucci should surely be on the radar now after a scintilating start to this season. Saw him round one and he simply dominated, gut runner who uses every possession to advantage, whilst you could do no wrong if you picked up his team mate Jarrod McCorkel (sp?) or Amad Saad.

Of the younger guys to consider, Adam Marcon has had a very good year, similar to Butcher's in that he has come into the senior side and played very well as a first year senior.

James MAgner is a bull at it midfielder for Sandringham who I was surprised to see overlooked last year, has gone up a gear in season 2011 though.

Some may remember Ryan McKenzie, 21, from Vic Country? Came through with the likes Steele Sidebottom, Jarryd Blair, John Butcher and Nick Suban. He has come on this year with North Ballarat after serving his apprenticeship and now playing a starring role as an in and under midfielder.

Couple of tall boys I really like, Russell Gabriel is the best VFL ruckmen in the comp. I will stand by that fact. A 200cm ruckmen who has the sticky hands of Drew Petrie, the mobility of Dean Cox and the skills and link up Hamish McIntosh sees 'Big Rus' leap right into calculations one would think after playing some starring games in a bottom side. Is he a chance to emulate former team mate and fothergill - round medalist Michael Hibberd onto an AFL list? every chance.

Tim Mohr is another name to watch out for. A rebounding defender with the Casey Scorpions, he leapt to prominence after spending the past few years partying to hard, with top VFL coach Bradley Gotch saying he could well and truly play AFL footy at a high standard.

Couple of other young guys to keep an eye out for a Chris Doria (Frankston Dolphins), Michael Lourey (Sandringham Zebras), Derrick Micallef (North Ballarat Roosters), Myles Pitt (Port Melbourne) and a couple of very handy goal kickers, Patrick Rose (Port MElbourne) and some Brendon Fevola bloke from Casey Scorpions.

I could go on, but these are the guys who are well and truly at the forefront of AFL selection, with Sundberg a monty.

Dylan Murphy and Wheeler from Coburg appear look draftable. Both in their first year out from the TAC.

Murphy a frantic small forward with good goal sense and pressure.

Wheeler an inside mid who has good, kicks goals and tackles well. Racks up the clearances.

I'd be happy for the Tigers to put both on the rookie list.

The above VFL analysis missed Mal Lynch. Ex Bulldogs, extremely gifted and athletic, has matured out of sight and is one of the favourites for the Liston. Will certainly get drafted.

Are you hiding Bendigo's Ben Duscher ?

Definitely has enough tools to make an AFL list.

At least that is one I got. I thought Essendon might have rookie listed him last year, but they took Neagle and Slattery back instead (for some odd reason).

I always find ex-AFL players who go back to the lower leagues interesting targets. Obviously a few got another chance last year (Giles, Curnow, Lower) but how many can realistically expect to get that chance? Blackwell, Cook, Iacobucci, Lynch, Jacky, Arrowsmith, O'Brien....the list goes on.

I'll only say if Toby Greene isn't in the best 25 players in the land I must be watching a different game(s).

Fair comment. Greene would be in that next group of players, along with the likes of Grigg and Forster. Although Webster, Eggar and Bussey were only included due to being favourites of mine and getting their names out there, not because that is where they will realistically go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HFF, great list as always, although apart from hiding Duscher under a rock, surely you must have forgotten Stockdale, I'd expect him to be in there.

From my mob I'd expect Ben Raidme to be looked at by a fair few clubs, was on the radar until he did his shoulder halfway through last year and is now back and starting to find form again. If his last few games of the year are like his 2010 form he'll find himself on a list somewhere.

Andrew McLean is really really unlucky he's not 3 or 4 years younger. With his form and the needs of a lot of clubs to find a good key defender among this year's draft, if he was 24-25 I reckon he'd be one of the first VFL players picked among this year's crop.

how come no one talks about nsw tas and qld kids it is about melb sa and wa what about the kid from nsw who toweled patton the kid from qld who bet sumner or do u have to come from vic to be notice

how come no one talks about nsw tas and qld kids it is about melb sa and wa what about the kid from nsw who toweled patton the kid from qld who bet sumner or do u have to come from vic to be notice

Yeah, players from the big three football states do get more coverage. But when it comes to the numbers that get drafted, there is good reason for that. The other thing is that Queensland and NSW are compromised by the introduction of GWS and the Gold Coast, while many of the better NSW players are Scholarship holders.

First of all, that NSW player who beat Patton was Michael Hartley. Hartley is a Collingwood scholarship player (which should please you no doubt), so he wont get much coverage in mock drafts because it is a given that he will go at the end to your mob. Lynch, Witts, Lodge and Moller are just some others who are already signed to AFL teams. I believe GWS are still able to sign some players like Cunningham as a zone selection too.

Take all of those guys away, and there wont be too many early picks coming out of NSW. Sam Milne is my favourite of what is left, but he does have a lack of height (176cm). Despite that, he always goes in hard and does all the right things. He'd probably be looking at the third round and later though.

Similarly, the Gold Coast still have zoned access to Queensland players while GWS have access to the Northern Territory. Sexton is the pick of the Queenslanders, so I imagine Gold Coast will probably go after him. Yagmoor, Tucker and Newell have all had good Championships, and Thurlow has shown a bit as a KPP/ruck but it's hard to judge without knowing what the Gold Coast will do.

As I said, GWS have zoned access to players from the Northern Territory this year. A fair few of their better players are underaged, especially Jed Anderson or undersized. Eggar and Wilson are their best prospects this year, and I would take them if I were Sheedy along with Damian Williams. Stafford has shown a bit as a key forward, but wouldn't be anything more than a late pick while Tipungwuti should get a chance but again is very small.

Finally Tasmania, and I did write about them on the previous page. I would expect Webster, McKenzie and Riley to get drafted. The more I see of Mihocek, the more I like about him. And although he is probably more of a third tall defender, I think there is a lot of potential in him and would have him around the second round. As I said before, I haven't seen much of Schade or Dobosz but from what I've heard they are both likely prospects. With Dobosz in particular improving his standing in the Championships. I'm always a little hesitant to throw in talls based just off of the Championships, but he has been playing very well considering his limited experience. The other one is Brown, and injury is the only reason he isn't already on an AFL list.

Hopefully that answers any question about Division 2 players, but with draft concessions there probably isn't as much interest in these players than previously.

thanks for taking the time to explain about nsw ,qld ,tas ,nt kids still believe these states should get a bit more air time

I agree, and it is a shame that neither of the Division 2 matches will be shown on television tomorrow. That will just make it harder for them to get talked about. I suppose the important thing is that the recruiters know about them, and the casual fan will learn about them in time.

Thats why this site is so good because you can find out about all kids

do they pick ais side out of this championship if so who do you think will make it and is it a u18s side

They'll be selecting an U18 All Australian side based on the Championships some time in the next week, although that side is still very much up in the air (particularly the KPPs). Will largely depend on tonight's matches, and how the Division 1 players go against each other.

The AIS Academy for this year was named late last season, and I imagine most of their work is probably done now. The focus would now be on finishing the season off well, and preparing for the draft combine. The big names for the draft this year in the AIS squad are probably Smith, Buntine, Elton, Hoskin-Elliot and Coniglio.

OK, so I figured I would put down some of my thoughts before I forget everything that just happened.

First off, it wasn't exactly a great game. Metro were largely unopposed for the most part, which made it hard to judge some of unlucky players who were stuck down in the Country forward line. Todd Elton for example, it wasn't his best game but he was never really in it. He had nothing going for him up forward, and he was up against Longer in the ruck. I don't think this was a true reflection of him as a player.

Speaking of talls, Jon Patton performed exactly as expected. His kicking for goal was obviously down, but everything else he did was impressive. When the ball came in well, as opposed to just random long kicks, he was unstoppable. He had Boseley beat in the air and was consistently a metre or two ahead on the lead. Boseley looked better when he was working off his man and getting involved in the play.

Having Patton up there, meant Jackson Paine could play as the second tall and as a result he was often playing on undersized opponents (Kelly and Buntine). He should have easily beaten them in contests, and he did. Marking and kicking was good, wasn't seen a lot outside of the first 10 minutes of the third quarter.

The four KPDs of note for me were Michael Talia, Piva Wright, Adam Tomlinson and Sam Frost. Talia was the pick of the bunch, worked well on the rebound and his spoiling was good on the odd occasion that Country actually went forward with meaning. Wright looked good too, although he spent much of the first half rucking. Showed a lot more agility than I thought he had and his disposal is solid. He does need to stay down back and maybe trim down a little bit, but he'll be a good player. Tomlinson and Frost were slightly disappointing, but they did have limited opportunities down back. Tomlinson didn't do anything wrong, just didn't do much. Frost is impressive athletically and always looked to go the attacking route, he showed glimpses of his potential but he just wasn't able to get involved a lot.

Staying in the back lines and Jordan Kelly, Matthew Buntine and Brandon Ellis all looked good. Buntine and Kelly in particular were asked to play taller than they should have, but Kelly showed really good attack and Buntine was excellent linking up off half back. Ellis will be an interesting one in the coming months, looks a real tough and nuggety player. Seen plenty of his type before, who don't test all that well.

Nic O'Brien and Brett O'Hanlon had decent showings across half forward for Country, both are good marks but undersized a little (189cm). O'Brien in particular was impressive, and continued his good form after a solid match against SA. He is a hard working half forward with decent skills, maybe not an early pick but a solid player.

Dom Tyson and Toby Greene were clearly the two best midfielders on the ground (along with the underaged Whitfield). Both look to be very good players, and two different types of midfielders. Greene was obviously impressive in close and his skills looked good, but Tyson was clear BOG. With a real lack of tall midfielders, I can see Tyson being really sought after come draft time. I had him around the start of the second round, but that probably wont happen anymore.

Of the two bigger names in the Metro midfield, Will Hoskin-Elliot and Liam Sumner had two very different games. Hoskin-Elliot was awesome, such an attacking player but also really strong defensively. Whereas Sumner was much quieter, he did some nice things but more importantly he didn't show the same attack and didn't do the hard things when it was his turn. It was a disappointing game from him in my opinion.

Just a couple of other guys who showed some good signs were Jack Crisp off half back for Country, and Newnes in the same role for Metro. The other one I really liked was Tim Totevski from Metro. Only 173cm but he was really clean with his hands, and showed that he could be a good small forward.

Overall, my bests would be...

Vic Metro - Dom Tyson, Toby Greene, Will Hoskin-Elliot, Billy Longer, Michael Talia, Jon Patton
Vic Country - Lachie Whitfield, Matt Buntine, Devon Smith, Nic O'Brien, Piva Wright

I'm taping the second game, so will watch that one eventually too.

First off, I forgot one name from the previous game. Sam Docherty for Vic Country was very good. Wasn't on the initial team sheet, so I wasn't sure of his name. But that is two very good games from him in the Championships, very clean player and definitely one to watch.

As for the second game, that was much better. Overall skills were a big improvement, and it seemed a much more open game. Some very impressive individual performances too.

BOG would have been Mitch Grigg, he was everywhere in the first quarter and really set things up for SA. He really didn't do anything wrong, his kicking was exceptional and he still went in and won his own ball and tackled hard too. He wasn't in the greatest form prior to the Championships back at Norwood, and I had questions over his ball winning. But his past few weeks have answered all that.

The other main one for SA was Brad McKenzie. Was going to be a high selection regardless, but he really showed promise further up the ground today as opposed to playing off half back. Has a great kick on him, and that was definitely on show.

SA aren't a particularly tall side, but the small and medium defenders did a great job. Luke Brown and Alex Forster were both pretty solid, and provided lots of run and attack. While they are better suited to playing up across half back, as opposed to deep, they both defended well. Rory Laird was very good, and although he is only short he has a nice set of hands on him. Looks to be a very solid defender, and one teams should look at come draft time.

There are quite a few undersized players for SA, with Lachie Neale and Jacob Carger both having good games too. Both are strong marks and with their attack on the ball, should be legitimate chances later on in the piece.

Tall wise, there wasn't a heap on show for SA. Jordan Murdoch looks and plays a lot bigger than what he was listed as (188cm). He was very impressive on the lead, and provided a real target going forward. Lewis Hender is another who plays bigger, and it might be his build but he was very strong in the forward fifty. Also very athletic for someone with his build. Aseri Raikiwasa was quiet, and didn't seem to get a lot of game time in the first half. He reads the play very well and is always composed (maybe too so at times) and definitely looks every part the footballer.

Onto WA, and it's no real surprise that it was their stars who led the way. Tom Mitchell is a very unassuming player, just racks up the touches without you even knowing. But he can play outside, and his goal really showed off his other skills. Could easily have gone another 5-10 spots earlier than the Swans first rounder. And well, Stephen Coniglio is going to be #1 for a reason.

Jordan Lockyer was very impressive too. Really good attack on the ball, doesn't look to be a defender that you'd want to mess with. The move forward was interesting, and it definitely payed off with his strong marking. Those extra strings should see him drafted, unlike some similar sized defenders last year. There wasn't much else in the way of talls for WA. Matthew Jupp showed some signs, but he got caught out by Mayes a few times and looks to be better up around CHB.

Shane Verrier and Rhys Waters played as medium forwards, and both had their moments with a good crumbing effort and strong pack mark. But neither really had an impact. Alex Howard is a very good size, and showed some nice signs. Cam Eardley was another quiet one, but what he did was very good. He is an aggressive player, but also has the skills and marking to match. Elliot Yeo was a little disappointing down back though, just seemed to be under pressure all the time and gave away some free kicks. The most disappointing was Shane Nelson though, I barely even noticed him which is a shame given some of his previous performances.

Whereas Haiden Schlothe might not have that other side. He worked hard and attacked hard, but just seemed a little sloppy. I thought he was almost a less refined version of Mitch Robinson.

The two WA players to watch (for two different reasons) for me are Marley Williams and Brandon AhChee. I thought Williams was great, just has so much natural talent but also is a ready made player. I reckon he could probably play a role right now. He was challenging Raikiwasa as my pet player in that game. AhChee on the other hand was playing his first game, and only had the four touches. But he is a very nice size and looks to be another with natural talent, could be a nice project forward/wing in the next couple of years.

As for the underaged players, Grundy absolutely dominated that last quarter. His ruck work was awesome, and pretty much won the game for SA. Garlett, Yarran, Taylor and O'Meara are going to be great players to watch, as will Mayes and Kennedy for SA. But Josh Simpson for SA was right up there with Grundy as the best underaged player for me. Looked real silky up forward, just has that effortless look to his game.

Nothing earth shattering in my bests for this game...

SA - Grigg, McKenzie, Grundy, Laird, Simpson
WA - Coniglio, Mitchell, Lockyer

like I said Greene should be in any top 25 but should be top 15. Lets hope that seeing is believing.

Greene was impressive, games like that against both Country and SA will only help his standing. I think when you first mentioned Greene yesterday, I said he was in that next group going for the 20-25 spots. And well, I would push that up to the 15-25 range but that is probably about it. I think he'll be a good player, but others possibly have more range and potential to them.

Dom Tyson and Mitch Grigg both performed exceptionally well, and are overall better players than Greene in my opinion. McKenzie is a really attacking option, and has great skills. The same can be said for Hoskin-Elliot and Sumner (although I'm a little down on him at the moment). Adams is a versatile player, and can play inside too. Someone like Nelson is a little inconsistent, but his best is right up there. Kavanagh has been injured lately, but could end up being up one of the best on offer. Waldhuter has been disappointing after solid showings leading in to the Championships though.

Looking at the midfielders (not including the injured Kavanagh or F/S pick Mitchell), I would have them something like this...

Stephen Coniglio
Chad Wingard
Will Hoskin-Elliot
Mitch Grigg
Dom Tyson
Shane Nelson
Liam Sumner
Devon Smith
Toby Greene
Taylor Adams

And then you have to add in the talls, as well as other forwards/defenders like Crozier, McKenzie, Buntine, Kelly and Hender.

Maybe I'm being harsh on Greene. He looks to be a very good inside midfielder and a natural ball winner, but there are a few other players who are just as good or even better at this stage in my opinion. Blame Luke Parker if you don't think he is high enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back