List Mgmt. Christmas comes early (Nov 28 - 19 sleeps) - Draftee discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We will need to draft an elite runner with our second rounder if we pick Wardlaw with 2. If he's a good two way runner he could be an option. Other players of that ilk i can see from 20 to 38 are Kobe Ryan and Cowan.
You don’t need to try and fill every need in one draft.

Very, very few 19 year olds are elite runners.

Give your draftees three preseasons to build their bodies and tanks and learn the game.

I’m confident Wardlaw will become a genuine two way mid.

I think he's just not great body on body. With an open field in front of him look out though. Ive been thinking CHF is his best spot yet his kicking is also a worry. I'd hate burning chances delivering inside 50 and also struggle a CHF that con't convert those long shots isn't ideal.
I wouldn't be worried about his ability to play through contact at his age. That will come in time.

It’s more important that he shows the willingness to play through contact, even seek it out.

It’s harder to teach players aggression and the want to physically compete for the ball in the air.

It’s the difference between drafting Josh Schache or Harry McKay.

I wouldn't be worried about his ability to play through contact at his age. That will come in time.

It’s more important that he shows the willingness to play through contact, even seek it out.

It’s harder to teach players aggression and the want to physically compete for the ball in the air.

Or Oscar Allen and Jarrod Brander

Except we took both of them

You don’t need to try and fill every need in one draft.

Very, very few 19 year olds are elite runners.

Give your draftees three preseasons to build their bodies and tanks and learn the game.

I’m confident Wardlaw will become a genuine two way mid.
I agree but i would still like a player of that mould. Watching Holmes, Duncan, Smith and Blicavs run through Geelong's midfield who are elite runners show's you which way the games going. If Cowan, K.Ryan, Dowling etc.. aren't rated by our recruiters that's fine and i understand that. Wardlaw is my preference at the moment but i also like Tsatas for the reasons just mentioned.

Soft as butter under a high ball. Elite on the lead. With a ?? being he's likely out of position from getting separation on a lead. Does give up a little bit rather than hustle to even the contest. As i've only see the end result on camera it's a bit hard to judge whats happening in the lead up.

I don't think players get any better at contested ball or 1on1's at a much harder level compared to at 18s.

Or Oscar Allen and Jarrod Brander

Except we took both of them
There were warning signs at the 2017 U18 championships, when noted bottom age physical beast, Jack Lukosius, schooled Brander in the first half of their match up, that the moved Brander at halftime time, to the opposite end of the ground.

There were warning signs at the 2017 U18 championships, when noted bottom age physical beast, Jack Lukosius, schooled Brander in the first half of their match up, that the moved Brander at halftime time, to the opposite end of the ground.
We love our players tall, athletic and good at age 17. All other attributes are overrated😒

I agree but i would still like a player of that mould. Watching Holmes, Duncan, Smith and Blicavs run through Geelong's midfield who are elite runners show's you which way the games going. If Cowan, K.Ryan, Dowling etc.. aren't rated by our recruiters that's fine and i understand that. Wardlaw is my preference at the moment but i also like Tsatas for the reasons just mentioned.
The question is, can the hypothetical kid play football?

We drafted Harry Sharp in 2020. He holds the draft combine record for the 2km, running 5:30’ish.

We (the Lions) run a 3km club time trial. McCluggage and Berry in the past have duelled it out to be the clubs top runner, both being ~9 minute runners for the 3km.

Sharp lapped the whole team, last year, and again this year.

He’s still working on his footballing ability.

Keeler to me is the ultimate tease, if he could just harness his talent and play consistent football, then he could well end up being the best player in this cohort.

When he is on, he is an opposing coaches nightmare, with his speed and agility at 198 cm he is unstoppable.
Great over head and with his leap is a very strong overhead mark, that makes him a very handy backup ruck option for a chop out role.
The Paddy Ryder playing style comparisons are spot on.

With his concentration as it currently is, I would be tempted to play him at CHB in his formative years, that way the best CHF keep him in the game and he learns his craft.....ultimately with his skill set, if he ever gets it all together for a 100 minutes, he would be one hell of a damaging CHF himself.

At pick 27 he would very much, be worth picking........ high reward if he makes it.

To me he's the most naturally talented player in the pool. Is a recruiters wet dream and worst nightmare.

Just in regards to Jakob Ryan there really are so few of his type in this years draft and running kicking HB's are highly sought after at the moment. To me he's a sneaky chance of going significantly higher than expected if someone drafts for needs. I dont think he makes our pick 20.

Everyone knows im a debbie downer on Tsatas. Struggles kicking under pressure and struggles kicking at speed which with his burst is his biggest weapon. I think he will struggle with the higher level of physicality and be a ball butcher. There is no doubt he can get it, even on the inside but it's more as a first receiver than at the coalface. In a weaker draft I just don't see how he translates to an elite mid at AFL level.

Purely on talent I think the top 3 are Wardlaw, Keeler and Sheezel.

If we can get gold coasts first next year and trade our 2024 first for either a top 6 pick in next years draft or two first rounders with one being around 10 and one later there are just so many options for us to fill the cupboard of needs with high level talent.

So if we were to go into the draft with our current hand, no trades no swaps ect who would you pick?. Need to be realistic with pick positions and who would be available

I’ll go first looking forward to be pulled apart lol

pick 2 : Wardlaw
pick 20: Isaac Keeler….reckon Bailey might be gonsky so good upgrade
pick 26 : Kobe Ryan
Pick 38:Edward Allen
I’d be thrilled with something like…

Pick 2: George Wardlaw
Pick 20: Best available tall
Pick 26: Darcy Jones
Pick 38: Kaleb Smith

But I’m warming to the idea of splitting our first to get another early selection, especially if we could take Hewett with an early teens pick. Definitely keen on Jones and Smith.

Everyone knows im a debbie downer on Tsatas. Struggles kicking under pressure and struggles kicking at speed which with his burst is his biggest weapon. I think he will struggle with the higher level of physicality and be a ball butcher. There is no doubt he can get it, even on the inside but it's more as a first receiver than at the coalface. In a weaker draft I just don't see how he translates to an elite mid at AFL level.

Purely on talent I think the top 3 are Wardlaw, Keeler and Sheezel.

If we can get gold coasts first next year and trade our 2024 first for either a top 6 pick in next years draft or two first rounders with one being around 10 and one later there are just so many options for us to fill the cupboard of needs with high level talent.

I wasn’t a fan but the draft board has me changing my opinion. Think we can’t lose really with who we pick at 2 (one of Warldaw vs Tsatas). I’d even argue that ROB would prefer Tsatas as he’s got that extra acceleration and pace that we lack. Also, think we prefer dual position players.

If true we are striving for 3 picks in the first rounds. Splitting our first seems likely. I personally wouldn’t if it means we miss out on Warldaw, but guess we need to trust the recruiting team.

Exciting times ahead, bring on the draft!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 2: Aaron Cadman - because he's tall
Pick 20: Lachlan Cowan - because he is the HBF'er most likely to become a mid
Pick 26: Harry Lemmey - wing potential
Pick 38: Jackson Broadbent - because he is taller than Cadman and Lemmey

Last edited:
Alright...I'll give this a bash. Looking forward to the yearly board Phantom Draft actually.

Pick 2: George Wardlaw (HS my 2nd choice)
Pick 20: Brayden George (ACL will have him slide a bit. Can't pass here)
Pick 26: Lachlan Cowan (Bung replacement - with pace)
Pick 27* Darcy Jones (Really like the look of this kid - Don't give a flying **** he's short. Natural footballer)
Pick 38: Jackson Broadbent (Shin splints see him drop - We laugh and grab our next Cox :cool:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back