List Mgmt. Christmas comes early (Nov 28 - 19 sleeps) - Draftee discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just posted the below in another thread. Welcome to debate any of it.

There's only 1 midfielder on talent in this draft at this stage worth pick 2 and he's had 4 hamstring injuries since the start of preseason and in the games he's played he has had games similar to JHF in regards to lack of production. If he loses his explosiveness and high flying because of the hamstrings he will become the next Chris Masten or a bust. Just remember Masten was a ******* exceptional kick as a junior he just failed on the decision making front until 4-5 years of development.

That's this draft imo.

There's a forward/mid who wouldn't have gotten drafted ahead of Rachele last year in Sheezel

There's a Key Defender who although different is on par maybe slightly ahead of Gibcus last year.

None of the key forwards are anywhere near the class of Amiss

Tsatas isn't on the level of Callaghan, doesn't have the penetration or precision of kicking. Has also already had a stress fracture injury to his feet.

Hewett is similar to Erasmus, i'd say better kicking but lower production

Ward is a level above the second tier of Midfield talent which all really fits into the 10-20 bracket of last years draft imo.

Phillipou has back issues but has a really high ceiling and if fully fit all year would be a top 2 pick but back issues in a junior who hasn't had a huge growth spurt is a major turn off. It's a huge red flag even though he is the only other mid prospect at or above the level of Ward. Or he's a week older, recovers from the back issue and is a top 3 rated pick next year.....

Humphrey wasn't huge on radars until he came back from injury but then promptly did an ACL.

Jhye Clark is like Andrew Brayshaw lite. His kicking isn't as good and he isn't a real standout.

There are no true standout HBF prospects like last year

There is no-one with the outside class of Wanganeen-Milera

So someone please ******* tell me why we should value pick 2 and think that player is going to be our saviour. If the offer comes through we are so much better off ******* splitting it, it's beyond belief. There's some really safe B+ picks imo but the top 10 of this draft is looking really ******* uninspiring especially considering our needs. If GC offered us their first this year and next for pick 2 and our second rounder next year i'd be jumping in a ******* heartbeat. Same with the Hawks. If GWS offered us the best pick they get from their trades plus their future first for pick 2 again, done in

Look as long as we draft something with horns.....but not a KP defender.......everything will be ok!

The stats say so apparently!;):):cool:

So someone please ******* tell me why we should value pick 2 and think that player is going to be our saviour. If the offer comes through we are so much better off ******* splitting it, it's beyond belief. There's some really safe B+ picks imo but the top 10 of this draft is looking really ******* uninspiring especially considering our needs. If GC offered us their first this year and next for pick 2 and our second rounder next year i'd be jumping in a ******* heartbeat. Same with the Hawks. If GWS offered us the best pick they get from their trades plus their future first for pick 2 again, done in a heartbeat.

Because maybe your evaluation is wrong ?

There's only 1 midfielder on talent in this draft at this stage worth pick 2 and he's had 4 hamstring injuries since the start of preseason and in the games he's played he has had games similar to JHF in regards to lack of production. If he loses his explosiveness and high flying because of the hamstrings he will become the next Chris Masten or a bust. Just remember Masten was a ******* exceptional kick as a junior he just failed on the decision making front until 4-5 years of development.

That's this draft imo.

There's a forward/mid who wouldn't have gotten drafted ahead of Rachele last year in Sheezel

There's a Key Defender who although different is on par maybe slightly ahead of Gibcus last year.

Tsatas isn't on the level of Callaghan, doesn't have the penetration or precision of kicking. Has also already had a stress fracture injury to his feet.

Ward is a level above the second tier of Midfield talent which all really fits into the 10-20 bracket of last years draft imo.

Phillipou has back issues but has a really high ceiling and if fully fit all year would be a top 2 pick but back issues in a junior who hasn't had a huge growth spurt is a major turn off. It's a huge red flag even though he is the only other mid prospect at or above the level of Ward. Or he's a week older, recovers from the back issue and is a top 3 rated pick next year.....

Humphrey wasn't huge on radars until he came back from injury but then promptly did an ACL.

Jhye Clark is like Andrew Brayshaw lite. His kicking isn't as good and he isn't a real standout.

So someone please ******* tell me why we should value pick 2 and think that player is going to be our saviour. If the offer comes through we are so much better off ******* splitting it, it's beyond belief. There's some really safe B+ picks imo but the top 10 of this draft is looking really ******* uninspiring especially considering our needs. If GC offered us their first this year and next for pick 2 and our second rounder next year i'd be jumping in a ******* heartbeat. Same with the Hawks. If GWS offered us the best pick they get from their trades plus their future first for pick 2 again, done in a heartbeat.
-Would say the Buss & even Hayes are better than Gibcus.
-Key fwds there's a few more options but none are great (*Cadman if he gets sorted out).
Mostly everything else worse off than last year :(
However there are still top 5 who are at least slightly better than the rest and we are better off getting our guy rather than a reach at 7 for Hewett or something similar.
Apologies I was. I was writing on Humphrey elsewhere at the time.
Humphrey BB is a gun:fire::fire:

Geez the Giants will have some serious d4aft capital after all these trades.

Currently hold 3, 21, 39, 57.

Will get Richmonds 12, 19, 30 and possibly future 1st if players dont go back.

Brahn will get them another 2nd rounder. A future pick possibly preferred.

Bobby Hill likely the same.

So 3, 12, 19, 21, 30, 39 and 57.

I hope we have multiple clubs chasing our 2nd and GWS offer 3 plus a 2ndto get their man.

Can see them chasing the Suns 7 or Crows 5 after trading for Rankin.

2 and 5 or 3 and 5 could land them both Cadman plus Busslinger and replenishing that spine.

If the rumour is true that Riley West is even a little bit linked to us what are Bulldogs wanting from us .Rotham ? . Watching Rotham in the Ruck and on ball in the WAFL he looked good . He even did it a little at AFL and was ok .
Lets Go Run GIF by Paramount+

Geez this description screams Pie Man and West Coast.

And we do love our Morrish Medalists. A half back with midfield potential ;) :tearsofjoy:

cowan-header-980x561.png

18.png

Cowan is one of the most fun players in the draft with his flowing mullet and elite pace off half-back. He takes the game on at every opportunity and is accurate by foot with the whole ground in front of him. There have also been some exciting moments as he’s moved into the engine room at times, showing scope for a possible move in the future.

Previous ranking: 22

Best traits similar to: Zac Williams

Sorry to keep you in suspense but Eastcoasteagle Monocle and AsterixTheGaul have had the September Draft AGM

Far too pissed to lodge the minutes as I’ve been from South Melbourne to North Fitzroy. Lubrication along the way was required.

Needless to say I will post on Monday about the input we will be giving BOND 007 to pass to the Pieman,

Cheers
I just want to allay anyone's fears about 'Lubrication along the way being required' was in the form of beer rather than anything else. Whilst we enjoyed each others company, it wasn't that much. hahaha

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And we do love our Morrish Medalists. A half back with midfield potential ;) :tearsofjoy:

cowan-header-980x561.png

18.png

Cowan is one of the most fun players in the draft with his flowing mullet and elite pace off half-back. He takes the game on at every opportunity and is accurate by foot with the whole ground in front of him. There have also been some exciting moments as he’s moved into the engine room at times, showing scope for a possible move in the future.

I like a lot about him, but his kicking is poor. So I hope we aren't into him, certainly not with our first 3 picks.

cowan-header-980x561.png

18.png

I'd like 1 of our 4 picks to be an attacking HBF'er so wouldn't mind getting him with 1 of our second rounders. His biggest knock his not his foot skills but his decision making by foot which can lead to turnovers. This is exactly the same type of criticism that's been leveled at Jamaine Jones this year. The difference though is that Cowan is 17 years old and born in December. He has plenty of time to figure out when it is appropriate to go up the middle and when it is best to take the safer option down the line.

I'd like 1 of our 4 picks to be an attacking HBF'er so wouldn't mind getting him with 1 of our second rounders. His biggest knock his not his foot skills but his decision making by foot which can lead to turnovers. This is exactly the same type of criticism that's been leveled at Jamaine Jones this year. The difference though is that Cowan is 17 years old and born in December. He has plenty of time to figure out when it is appropriate to go up the middle and when it is best to take the safer option down the line.

General rule. If a player can't make the right decisions at junior level then it is very unlikely they will ever be able to make the right decisions in the short time permitted at AFL level.

It's why Cowan has slid from a 10-15 prospect to potentially outside 30 or a late draft pick.

That's this draft imo.

I get what your saying and having watched this draft closely I respect your opinion but I don’t want to give up pick 2.
I’d take the punt on Wardlaw getting right. I don’t want to be constantly drafting mid range picks. Wardlaw could be that great mid for us. What if we do bounce back with all our senior players back on the park for a year (unlikely I know) and we get another mid range pick next year. Top 2 (3) picks don’t come around very often and imo should use them when we have them. Especially when we are missing real top liners in our youth.
I remember people saying the same about Brayshaw and he was a stretch at the 2 pick but he’s been great.
Bont was coming off an injury. Oliver only come along late. There’s always doubts and risks picking in the draft.
Take the punt on the best kid in the draft imo. Maybe with some solid football and a professional environment he takes it to the next level.

General rule. If a player can't make the right decisions at junior level then it is very unlikely they will ever be able to make the right decisions in the short time permitted at AFL level.

It's why Cowan has slid from a 10-15 prospect to potentially outside 30 or a late draft pick.

Ive seen a hell of a lot of AFL improve and then have a break out year after spending several years building AFL level endurance and experience.

I don't see him sliding outside the top 30. I'm not saying we should definitely take him, just that we should consider him alongside the likes of Jakob Ryan and Sam Gilbey. Where do you rate those 2? I think Gilbey could slide all the way to our 3rd rounder because of his leg injury.

I get what your saying and having watched this draft closely I respect your opinion but I don’t want to give up pick 2.
I’d take the punt on Wardlaw getting right. I don’t want to be constantly drafting mid range picks. Wardlaw could be that great mid for us. What if we do bounce back with all our senior players back on the park for a year (unlikely I know) and we get another mid range pick next year. Top 2 (3) picks don’t come around very often and imo should use them when we have them. Especially when we are missing real top liners in our youth.
I remember people saying the same about Brayshaw and he was a stretch at the 2 pick but he’s been great.
Bont was coming off an injury. Oliver only come along late. There’s always doubts and risks picking in the draft.
Take the punt on the best kid in the draft imo. Maybe with some solid football and a professional environment he takes it to the next level.

The problem with taking a punt on the best kid is he is off to the Lions this draft.

And the next best kid is off somewhere else.

And the 3rd best player available to who holds pick 2? Well not many can agree exactly who that is.

The quality at 3 is there at 5, 6 and 7.

And some nice types around the lower teens.

To put it into simple terms if you were comparing drafts. Think of this years top 10 like the 2007 draft and think of next years top 10 like the 2008 draft.

We are almost certain to end up with another top 3 pick next year in a hugely stronger draft. If we can maximise the use of this draft pick because someone is willing to pay overs for it, then it is what you do.

To me paying overs is not a 3-4 place drop + an early second rounder in this draft. I would want more than that.

On draft strengths, wasn't there talk of 2017 being a weak year and people were questioning us taking so many picks that year? I see this as a similar draft. I think we will aim to rebuild quick instead of banking picks for next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back