Current Claremont Murders Discussion & Edwards trial updates pt3 - The Verdict

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

This from the Vincentians, the reading is a bit tedious but I found a reference to what she was using it for specifically and it makes sense in how I understood her post. They 'needed them!'

5. Protection from Satan for those who wear or promote the scapular

Protection from the devil?

Exactly. Then re-open Huntingdale files 1st few days in December, find prints, load into system, get match to HH and finally they have a definite name.
Put him under surveillance, pick up Sprite bottle evening of 19Dec20, DNA test and waalaa. Killer in custody 3 days later.

Only niggling question ..... Why was the Kimono chosen as part of a review of potentially related crimes to CSK case specifically?

Another reporting error could explain it, but if not, I just think its too much of a stretch to believe that incidences of prowling, break & enters & clothing thefts in Huntingdale in 1988 were crimes that would jump out as being potentially related to a rape & 3 murders 7+ years later & particularly when there's no evidence of any of those crimes being remotely related to those committed in Claremont.

Either the Kimono was randomly put in for testing and they got lucky .....or...... someone dropped them something which caused them to re-look on the other side of town at far lesser offences specifically.
The kimono was evidence in a disturbing crime. I think it very plausible that it was tested as routine.

I know someone who called WAPO a couple of years ago because they think that someone had opened the unlocked screen door into the back of the house. Whoever it was didn’t manage to enter because the inner door was locked. But a police officer attended within an hour and dusted for prints, saying that if someone even attempted to open a door to a property that it was a serious matter.

With the Huntingdale incidents, they weren’t simply break-ins but attempted sexual assaults and were an indication of someone who would likely offend again. The tip-off theory regarding the connection between the kimono and BRE is plausible, but so is the situation that it was just a situation of trying to resolve cold cases.

I don't know what the protocols generally are but the Kimono went over to the lab by special courier and investigators had a match within a day or so iirc, so this 'queue' wasn't actually in the lab. There's a reference to this somewhere.

EDIT: I remembered where I heard it, from Tim on one of the podcasts.
I hadnt heard that before, but if thats what happened it absolutely suggests they were onto HIM specifically before they had a DNA match from the Kimono & they were testing it specifically looking for one. I cant be convinced that solving 80's crimes that were predominantly prowling & clothes thefts, were so important to go to that extreme, so it could only have been in attempts to get his DNA to confirm he was CSK & someone MUST have suggested that to them.

If that happened, they still needed to tell us a cohesive story that explains how they tracked him down that doesnt include a tip off & whoever gave it to them & either Bonza's or my understanding of exactly how that occured solves the issue & is neither here nor there.

But THIS detail, if its true & the kimono WAS couriered especially for expedited DNA testing, proves that neither version was 100% truthful.
Why did they want to test it urgently, what did they already know & what were they hoping to find?

I can't think of any situation to explain it aside from someone informing & giving his name specifically along with their suspicions about him & potentially without really knowing what crimes he may have committed exactly, if any.

But IMO, if that happened, the trail began looking into HIM specifically. They find (or are also told of) the HH offence as well which tells them he has form at least, so they go looking for anything else they may already have that advances that suspicion.

Where did he live? Huntingdale. Ok, so pull all Huntingdale files looking for anything they can find to link him, they have the CSK & KK DNA. Old 80's file, mainly prowling & clothing thefts also contains a suspected indecent assault & theres supposed to be a Kimono that hasn't been tested yet. Looking promising. Find it & send it in asap.

Holy shit! That gives them the confirmation that the KK rapist & the CSK had also handled the Kimono. The fingerprints from the same file match HH & are suspected to be the prints of the person who dropped the Kimono, which follows the likelihood that the DNA is also his & its looking very likely that he's the CSK. Tail him, sprite bottle, history.

The only difference to this version of the story Kurve is whether there is any other explanation for them to put a rush on the Kimono testing that doesn't involve an informer? I cant think of one so if its accurate, it changes everything for me.

The only difference to this version of the story @Kurve is whether there is any other explanation for them to put a rush on the Kimono testing that doesn't involve an informer? I cant think of one so if its accurate, it changes everything for me.

I got a bit excited when Tim mentioned the kimono going over by courier but he didn't expand at all, that was it. One line. So after I rewound to make sure I got all of it and hadn't missed anything, threw my head back down on my pillow in a huffy.

I got a bit excited when Tim mentioned the kimono going over by courier but he didn't expand at all, that was it. One line. So after I rewound to make sure I got all of it and hadn't missed anything, threw my head back down on my pillow in a huffy.
Are you sure it wasn't the sprite bottle testing that was expedited or even the sample taken the day he was arrested rather than the kimono? Maybe Tim got confused?
Going on Judge Halls Final Decisions where he addresses any possible contamination he gives a run down on the kimono movements.
Kimono arrives at Pathwest on the 16th November 2016
It was first tested on the 23 Nov 2016 - 7 days later
It was again on the 28th Nov 2016 - now 12 days later
The profile obtained was matched on the 1 Dec 2016 - 15 Days later in total
Nothing in there about the sprite bottle but -
The sample taken from him the day he was arrested was at Pathwest on the same day, the 22nd Dec 2016

Possible sources of contamination – the kimono
1277 The kimono was seized from the Huntingdale crime scene by police and delivered to PathWest on 19 February 1988. Mr Egan gave evidence as to what the records of PathWest show as regards testing and movement of the kimono. This can be summarised as follows. It was examined on 1 March 1988, but no samples were submitted for analysis. On 30 March 1988 the kimono was returned to the police. It did not return to PathWest until 16 November 2016.[1076]

1278 On 23 November 2016 the kimono was examined and subjected to chemical testing for semen. DNA analysis was then undertaken and extracts prepared from stains on the kimono. Initial testing resulted in no DNA being detected. However, a profile was obtained from an extract on 28 November 2016. That profile was matched on 1 December 2016 to the DNA profile of the perpetrator of the Karrakatta offences. Subsequently, on 22 December 2016 PathWest received the reference DNA sample from the buccal swab taken from the accused at the time of his arrest, which matched both the kimono and Karrakatta profiles. None of this testing involved AJM40 or 42. The kimono was returned to police on 10 May 2019.[1077]

Are you sure it wasn't the sprite bottle testing that was expedited or even the sample taken the day he was arrested rather than the kimono? Maybe Tim got confused?
Going on Judge Halls Final Decisions where he addresses any possible contamination he gives a run down on the kimono movements.
The sample taken from him the day he was arrested was at Pathwest on the same day, the 22nd Dec 2016

Nope. I'm pretty sure he was talking about the kimono but as I said, it was a quicky one liner so I didn't even bother mentioning it in here prior.

Nope. I'm pretty sure he was talking about the kimono but as I said, it was a quicky one liner so I didn't even bother mentioning it in here prior.
Taking into account how bogged down with work Pathwest was, and probably still is, 15 days could be considered fastracked. My first thought after reading that was if they only received the arrest sample that same day then how were the cops so sure it was his DNA when questioning him but then i remembered they already had the sprite bottle results... I would be surprised if the arrest sample wasn't extremely fastracked though.

Taking into account how bogged down with work Pathwest was, and probably still is, 15 days could be considered fastracked. My first thought after reading that was if they only received the arrest sample that same day then how were the cops so sure it was his DNA when questioning him but then i remembered they already had the sprite bottle results... I would be surprised if the arrest sample wasn't extremely fastracked though.

It's in here somewhere, I looked into how long they can actually get a result in and it's hours and I would think anything 'CSK' would have been pushed to the front of the queue.

The kimono was evidence in a disturbing crime. I think it very plausible that it was tested as routine.

I know someone who called WAPO a couple of years ago because they think that someone had opened the unlocked screen door into the back of the house. Whoever it was didn’t manage to enter because the inner door was locked. But a police officer attended within an hour and dusted for prints, saying that if someone even attempted to open a door to a property that it was a serious matter.

With the Huntingdale incidents, they weren’t simply break-ins but attempted sexual assaults and were an indication of someone who would likely offend again. The tip-off theory regarding the connection between the kimono and BRE is plausible, but so is the situation that it was just a situation of trying to resolve cold cases.
We are speaking of crimes committed in the 80's that went unsolved at the time despite them having recovered the fingerprints of the person responsible at least for leaving them on a sliding door at a house that multiple events occured at. They weren't put into the system at anytime up to the HH event or at any time close to that event or they'd have found their man for that crime long before he murdered anyone. It was solvable then & it wasn't so it clearly wasn't considered that important at the time.
The testing of the Kimono has been said to have occured in line with reviewing unsolved crimes ifdentified by the cold case team tasked with reviewing the CSK case specifically. That detail is mentioned in news articles & the trial blogs.
When imagining the sheer amount of cases in total that must comprise all of WA polices unsolved cases over at least 3 decades, does it not seem even the slightest bit odd that these Huntingdale crimes were one of those chosen to re-evaluate specifically. Then look to the comments Kurve has made about the couriering of the Kimono & I start to think its hard not to see that they may well have already been looking at him specifically & the "official story" may have been manipulated to a version they wanted us to believe instead.
On looking back now at the trial blogs reporting what Barbagallo said about it, what I had initially thought was crap journalism may not have been. If its reporte verbatim, her choice of words describing it I find even stranger.

I hadnt heard that before, but if thats what happened it absolutely suggests they were onto HIM specifically before they had a DNA match from the Kimono & they were testing it specifically looking for one. I cant be convinced that solving 80's crimes that were predominantly prowling & clothes thefts, were so important to go to that extreme, so it could only have been in attempts to get his DNA to confirm he was CSK & someone MUST have suggested that to them.

If that happened, they still needed to tell us a cohesive story that explains how they tracked him down that doesnt include a tip off & whoever gave it to them & either Bonza's or my understanding of exactly how that occured solves the issue & is neither here nor there.

But THIS detail, if its true & the kimono WAS couriered especially for expedited DNA testing, proves that neither version was 100% truthful.
Why did they want to test it urgently, what did they already know & what were they hoping to find?

I can't think of any situation to explain it aside from someone informing & giving his name specifically along with their suspicions about him & potentially without really knowing what crimes he may have committed exactly, if any.

But IMO, if that happened, the trail began looking into HIM specifically. They find (or are also told of) the HH offence as well which tells them he has form at least, so they go looking for anything else they may already have that advances that suspicion.

Where did he live? Huntingdale. Ok, so pull all Huntingdale files looking for anything they can find to link him, they have the CSK & KK DNA. Old 80's file, mainly prowling & clothing thefts also contains a suspected indecent assault & theres supposed to be a Kimono that hasn't been tested yet. Looking promising. Find it & send it in asap.

Holy sh*t! That gives them the confirmation that the KK rapist & the CSK had also handled the Kimono. The fingerprints from the same file match HH & are suspected to be the prints of the person who dropped the Kimono, which follows the likelihood that the DNA is also his & its looking very likely that he's the CSK. Tail him, sprite bottle, history.

The only difference to this version of the story Kurve is whether there is any other explanation for them to put a rush on the Kimono testing that doesn't involve an informer? I cant think of one so if its accurate, it changes everything for me.

Has anyone claimed a reward?

When imagining the sheer amount of cases in total that must comprise all of WA polices unsolved cases over at least 3 decades, does it not seem even the slightest bit odd that these Huntingdale crimes were one of those chosen to re-evaluate specifically.

Not in the slightest bit odd, when you consider that there appeared to be at least one WAPOL raising the question of the CSK wearing women's clothing, and why, years before BRE was claimedly on the WAPOL radar, the Police thought the CSK might be someone that liked to wear women's clothing.

I'd say that exhibits and evidence from unsolved cases that involved males wearing women's clothing were probably at some point actively sought after for expedited DNA testing.

I refer back to my post #4354 in the CSK trials thread#1

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wa...-williams-ng-81fd39cd0a6663dd0f0954f98dfbf30c 'Williams’ younger brother said he was interviewed twice by police. “I remember one guy, he was so adamant, ‘he’s the one, he’s done it’,” he said. “It was just this tunnel vision.'

“I was pretty taken aback and a little bit upset. I remember one stupid question they asked once, ‘Have you ever seen your brother in women’s clothing?’, trying to make out he was some sort of pervert.”

Not in the slightest bit odd, when you consider that there appeared to be at least one WAPOL raising the question of the CSK wearing women's clothing, and why, years before BRE was claimedly on the WAPOL radar, the Police thought the CSK might be someone that liked to wear women's clothing.

I'd say that exhibits and evidence from unsolved cases that involved males wearing women's clothing were probably at some point actively sought after for expedited DNA testing.

Good point but we never did work out why investigators suspected the CSK wore womens clothing?

And they just happened to be correct.

Front page of this week's Post Newspaper, are some new CSK WAPOL investigations revelations from Bret Christian in a teaser/promotion for the release of his 'Stalking Claremont' book next Wednesday.

'Cops set graveyard trap for Edwards
The Claremont serial killer slipped through police fingers 16 years before he was finally arrested in 2016.
A repeat visitor evaded a police trap at Karrakatta Cemetery at around the time Bradley Robert Edwards, now 52, the man convicted of the Claremont killings, married his second wife. DNA analysis and other evidence provided a link between the visits and one of the murders.

This is one of many extraordinary revelations detailed in a new book to be released next week, Stalking Claremont, by POST editor Bret Christian. Sub-titled Inside the Hunt for a Serial Killer, the book for the first time answers a large number of key questions the public has been asking for 25 years.

Presented as a whodunnit, Stalking Claremont also reveals that police provisionally linked more than 20 attacks on women in the streets of Claremont, who had been partying locally, to the known crimes of Edwards.

The links were not made until 14 years after Edwards abducted a 17-year-old girl from Claremont in February 1995 and sexually assaulted her in Karrakatta Cemetery.

The book also throws much new light on why detectives concentrated so many resources on three innocent men, missing the real killer for decades. It became the longest and most expensive murder hunt in Australia’s history. Stalking Claremont details the effect on the investigation and on the men’s lives but, startlingly, shows how police were also misled by individual experts outside the force. It also details how the turnaround began, and how tenacious and inspired police work by small bands of detectives finally resulted in a series of extraordinary breakthroughs that led police to Edwards’ door.

Edwards is serving a life sentence for murder with a minimum of 40 years. Stalking Claremont will be released next Wednesday. It is published by ABC Books, in conjunction with HarperCollins Australia'

Edit: Normalised the font size of the article headline as no-one has commented yet on this article opener bombshell revelation!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Front page of this week's Post Newspaper, are some new CSK WAPOL investigations revelations from Bret Christian in a teaser/promotion for the release of his 'Stalking Claremont' book next Wednesday.

'Cops set graveyard trap for Edwards
The Claremont serial killer slipped through police fingers 16 years before he was finally arrested in 2016.
A repeat visitor evaded a police trap at Karrakatta Cemetery at around the time Bradley Robert Edwards, now 52, the man convicted of the Claremont killings, married his second wife. DNA analysis and other evidence provided a link between the visits and one of the murders.

This is one of many extraordinary revelations detailed in a new book to be released next week, Stalking Claremont, by POST editor Bret Christian. Sub-titled Inside the Hunt for a Serial Killer, the book for the first time answers a large number of key questions the public has been asking for 25 years.

Presented as a whodunnit, Stalking Claremont also reveals that police provisionally linked more than 20 attacks on women in the streets of Claremont, who had been partying locally, to the known crimes of Edwards.

The links were not made until 14 years after Edwards abducted a 17-year-old girl from Claremont in February 1995 and sexually assaulted her in Karrakatta Cemetery.

The book also throws much new light on why detectives concentrated so many resources on three innocent men, missing the real killer for decades. It became the longest and most expensive murder hunt in Australia’s history. Stalking Claremont details the effect on the investigation and on the men’s lives but, startlingly, shows how police were also misled by individual experts outside the force. It also details how the turnaround began, and how tenacious and inspired police work by small bands of detectives finally resulted in a series of extraordinary breakthroughs that led police to Edwards’ door.

Edwards is serving a life sentence for murder with a minimum of 40 years. Stalking Claremont will be released next Wednesday. It is published by ABC Books, in conjunction with HarperCollins Australia'
"... police provisionally linked more than 20 attacks on women in the streets of Claremont, who had been partying locally, to the known crimes of Edwards.

The links were not made until 14 years after Edwards abducted a 17-year-old girl from Claremont in February 1995 and sexually assaulted her in Karrakatta Cemetery"

14 years after? Don't think so.

"... police provisionally linked more than 20 attacks on women in the streets of Claremont, who had been partying locally, to the known crimes of Edwards.

The links were not made until 14 years after Edwards abducted a 17-year-old girl from Claremont in February 1995 and sexually assaulted her in Karrakatta Cemetery"

14 years after? Don't think so.
14 years after 1995 would make that 2009.

Maybe with Lance Williams, Peter Weygers and other key CSK suspects, not looking much like BRE, or driving the same looking car(s) that some of the more than 20 women attacked would have described to WAPOL, WAPOL just dismissed most/all of those many women attacked, as having been CSK living victims, because of their fixation on the wrong suspects. That is, up until the time that evidence (including DNA) ruled out Lance Williams, Peter Weygers and other key CSK suspects, and in 2009 it belatedly dawned on them that the CSK was someone else.

Good point but we never did work out why investigators suspected the CSK wore womens clothing?

And they just happened to be correct.
Yes, that's really puzzling. There was nothing in the evidence to suggest the CSK had been wearing women's clothing. None of the witnesses mentioned anything. It might sound stupid, but could it be possible, way back, BRE actually sent the police a taunting photograph of himself dressed in something, without showing his face. Macro probably received lots of mail from public claiming to be the CSK. We know BRE liked photography and according to DustyFairlyland, it was possibly BRE who had taken a photo of his genitalia at her friends house. The photo that got mislaid.

Hi Niall, credit where credit is due it was really well written, enjoyed all of it and have lent it to a few friends that have enjoyed it too. Good job to both of you.
Thanks Deva! I appreciate your kind words.
I think the release of Bret Christian’s book is imminent. One of my sub editing colleagues also subs for Bret. Today he said he’d get me a copy of the book in the next few days.

Possible sources of contamination – the kimono
1277 The kimono was seized from the Huntingdale crime scene by police and delivered to PathWest on 19 February 1988. Mr Egan gave evidence as to what the records of PathWest show as regards testing and movement of the kimono. This can be summarised as follows. It was examined on 1 March 1988, but no samples were submitted for analysis. On 30 March 1988 the kimono was returned to the police. It did not return to PathWest until 16 November 2016.[1076]

1278 On 23 November 2016 the kimono was examined and subjected to chemical testing for semen. DNA analysis was then undertaken and extracts prepared from stains on the kimono. Initial testing resulted in no DNA being detected. However, a profile was obtained from an extract on 28 November 2016. That profile was matched on 1 December 2016 to the DNA profile of the perpetrator of the Karrakatta offences. Subsequently, on 22 December 2016 PathWest received the reference DNA sample from the buccal swab taken from the accused at the time of his arrest, which matched both the kimono and Karrakatta profiles. None of this testing involved AJM40 or 42. The kimono was returned to police on 10 May 2019.[1077]
If I remember rightly from the book, the Sprite bottle results came back within a day.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wa...-williams-ng-81fd39cd0a6663dd0f0954f98dfbf30c 'Williams’ younger brother said he was interviewed twice by police. “I remember one guy, he was so adamant, ‘he’s the one, he’s done it’,” he said. “It was just this tunnel vision.'

“I was pretty taken aback and a little bit upset. I remember one stupid question they asked once, ‘Have you ever seen your brother in women’s clothing?’, trying to make out he was some sort of pervert.”
I'd forgotten about that but had assumed at the time it was either behaviour identified by a profiler as likely or it had to do with the other female clothing located at one of the sites. Both rather flimsy in hindsight, but I don't know the answer.

I'd think if they were looking to clutch at straws, someone might have tried a little harder to find the origin of the blue fibres found on Jane & Ciara & on the shorts of KK victim & seeing they also found a Telstra knife located near Janes body the same day she was found plus the fact Telstra wore blue uniforms & had a fleet of cars that included the exact model named specifically seen stopped to talk to Ciara by the burger boys just 3 days after she disappeared & the fibres from that car were also located on both bodies, it doesn't take an outstanding detective to put two & two together there and should have been an obvious place to start if only they applied some logic to their chase. Whoever it was that said it had been a dud investigation was right was on the money. They failed miserably despite having everything they needed all along to do it. They should be embarrassed how long it took to solve.

BBM - This is one of the (many) most puzzling questions in the CSK case. According to LW's brother WALPOL were aware/suggested very early on there was a cross dressing aspect to this case. Will we ever find out what led them to this train of thought? (as mentioned before) the only reference in the media, which may have led down this path are the items of clothing found near one of the victims and items of clothing taken from victims. WALPOL were unsure if these items of clothing were left by the CSK or were just dumped rubbish which happened to be near by. Surely now they know who the CSK is, they could check if they were the correct size to fit a large man? That would only happen if they had the foresight to keep the clothing as evidence!! or at least noted the sizing. Does any one know if the items were kept?

Attachments

• StalkingClaremont1.png
    StalkingClaremont1.png
    318.1 KB · Views: 67
  • StalkingClaremont2.png
    StalkingClaremont2.png
    331.6 KB · Views: 63
BBM - This is one of the (many) most puzzling questions in the CSK case. According to LW's brother WALPOL were aware/suggested very early on there was a cross dressing aspect to this case. Will we ever find out what led them to this train of thought? (as mentioned before) the only reference in the media, which may have led down this path are the items of clothing found near one of the victims and items of clothing taken from victims. WALPOL were unsure if these items of clothing were left by the CSK or were just dumped rubbish which happened to be near by. Surely now they know who the CSK is, they could check if they were the correct size to fit a large man? That would only happen if they had the foresight to keep the clothing as evidence!! or at least noted the sizing. Does any one know if the items were kept?

With my home invasion & comments re several cases close to me the Cops did look at me closely. But I am ok I m a 14 top & a 10 to 12 bottom. I did have a spot re Iveta too.

With my home invasion & comments re several cases close to me the Cops did look at me closely. But I am ok I m a 14 top & a 10 to 12 bottom. I did have a spot re Iveta too.

Do you have any clue as to why investigators might have asked Lance Williams brother if he'd ever seen Lance wearing womens clothes? If you've had contact with investigators, sometimes they will slip and give information away.

It seemed to be such a pointed question with no solid reasoning behind it that we've been able to find but in the end, decades later we discover that the CSK did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back