Rumour Clark to Freo?

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Mitch Clark

Unfortunately with Denham it could be either. He seems to go out on a longer limb than most journos. Nails it sometimes, fails it at others.
Searching back over his trade rumour stories over the years, he's batting at below 50%, I reckon.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's not an element of truth in it. Why wouldn't Clark want to play for Fremantle over us? Freo look to be on the up, we've had a shit year. One club would have premiership aspirations, the other will just be looking to earn some respect back.

But I find it instructive that, if true, he has specifically identified Fremantle as his preferred destination. This looks to me to be as much about having a good crack at a flag as it is about any sort of "go home" factor. I'd be more worried if he said "I want to go to either WA club" or, worse, "I want to be traded anywhere as long as it aint here".

We have to take a hard line approach and back ourselves to turn things around in 2011. I don't have Clark in the "untouchable" category as far as a trade goes. But we need to make a stand with him - let's tell him that a trade is out of the question and work our arses off to again make the footy club the sort of place that people don't want to leave. If he then still wants a trade to Freo in 2011, we do the deal, even if it means a lesser trade value.

Re: Mitch Clark

We have to take a hard line approach and back ourselves to turn things around in 2011. I don't have Clark in the "untouchable" category as far as a trade goes. But we need to make a stand with him - let's tell him that a trade is out of the question and work our arses off to again make the footy club the sort of place that people don't want to leave. If he then still wants a trade to Freo in 2011, we do the deal, even if it means a lesser trade value.

If he has asked for a trade then this would be one of the biggest mass player exoduses in recent times. I continue to hear murmurings re Drumo & Lukey.

I'm all for returning the club to where it once was, but to do so you must solve the root cause of the problem.

Who or what is it?

Re: Trade Talk (not draft talk) #2

Fyfe + Palmer + 1st rounder. :)

If the deal had to be done, I'd accept Fyfe + 1st rounder. I like Palmer and think he gets a rough deal on BF. But that takes a big chunk out of Freo's future midfield and, if push came to shove, Fyfe is a better fit for us, IMO.

If the deal had to be done, I'd accept Fyfe + 1st rounder. I like Palmer and think he gets a rough deal on BF. But that takes a big chunk out of Freo's future midfield and, if push came to shove, Fyfe is a better fit for us, IMO.

Dreamin,,,Freo wont trade Fyfe ...has more potential in his little toe than Palmer....I would say Freo will struggle to satisfy Brissies needs and thus not sure a deal will be struck (if rumour is true ???)
Freo would be interested in Clark but will not be giving up future A graders ..like Fyfe,Balla,Hill,Morabito etc just to get the deal done.
Putting players names up for trading is not good for team morale and creates resentment amongst the playing group ,so draft choices is possibly the way to go...but dont think Freo has enough of those to compensate Brissie for a player of Clark's ability

Fyfe..your killing me. That would be no deal, as I suspect that he would be off limits as he is a rare talent.

Balla's again is a tough one but more likely than Fyfe. We need a small, creative crumber as well a 2nd tall fwd, so again it would leave us with a whole.

Not sure what else you guys need. Tall fwds you have plenty of (what is the latest with Fev is he still getting the arse?). I thought it was more midfield support. What about swing players like Johnson?

Unless you are in the Buchanan, Raines type category of player, what quality player on earth is going to want to come to the Lions for the coming seasons, especially in light of the amount of quality players already abandoning ship?

I reckon even young kids would have us as their 17th preference at the moment.

Dreamin,,,

Well, your fellow supporter didn't list him as one not to include as part of a trade suggestion. I agree that Fyfe is a gun in the making but I also think that you have any number of quality midfield/flank options and, as another of your fellow posters has indicated, Clark is a perfect fit for your club going forward.

Freo wont trade Fyfe ...has more potential in his little toe than Palmer....I would say Freo will struggle to satisfy Brissies needs and thus not sure a deal will be struck (if rumour is true ???)
This is the point that most Brisbane supporters have been making.

Fyfe..your killing me. That would be no deal, as I suspect that he would be off limits as he is a rare talent.

See above. As I see it, Freo have two options. Back their current group and their excellent recruitment to take them to a flag. Or sacrifice some of that to trade in quality from another club. I don't see any problem with the former because, quite frankly, your list is very exciting.

But, if Denham is to be believed (in his article in the Weekend Australian), Freo are "wooing" Clark. Surely, if the rumour has any substance, that indicates Freo are willing to give up something pretty valuable to get a player who still has a year to run on his contract.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

See above. As I see it, Freo have two options. Back their current group and their excellent recruitment to take them to a flag. Or sacrifice some of that to trade in quality from another club. I don't see any problem with the former because, quite frankly, your list is very exciting.

But, if Denham is to be believed (in his article in the Weekend Australian), Freo are "wooing" Clark. Surely, if the rumour has any substance, that indicates Freo are willing to give up something pretty valuable to get a player who still has a year to run on his contract.

A lad on the Freo board says Mitch's brother has confirmed it.

In an era of compromised drafts / new teams coming in with uncontracted player concessions, if the rumor is correct then realistically I think you have little option but to deal.

A lad on the Freo board says Mitch's brother has confirmed it.

In an era of compromised drafts / new teams coming in with uncontracted player concessions, if the rumor is correct then realistically I think you have little option but to deal.

"you" being Freo, or the Lions?

The former makes sense....the latter does not.

Freo's a long way from GWS. If they want their man they'll have to pay for it. I can't see a scenario where the Lions should be taking unders on this one, if true.

I haven't seen much of the Lions this year, but what went wrong? What do you need to climb back up the ladder?

I know you had a few injuries in the middle part of the year, which bring any team back to earth, but what else?

I haven't seen much of the Lions this year, but what went wrong? What do you need to climb back up the ladder?

I know you had a few injuries in the middle part of the year, which bring any team back to earth, but what else?

There are plenty of other threads on here where you can read about that. This thread isn't really the place for it...

Lol. That would be just dumb.

I'd say Palmer would be more what you'd be looking at.
I've explained myself on this.

Personally, if I were Freo, I'd just let your recruitment and development continue. But if your club really wants Clark this year, then they'll be required to pay a pretty hefty price. Remember, Freo are doing the "wooing", if Denham is to be believed.

I'd be interested to know what Clark's goalkicking, forward pressure and contested marking is like?
Good contested mark. He's very mobile for a big man and puts pressure on the ball carrier around the ground, which would equate to OK forward pressure if played permanently as a forward. No worse than most tall forwards, anyway. Goalkicking is not a strength - about 50% on career stats.

Clark should really be classified as an 'untouchable'.. but due to our massive midfield deficiencies - i would understand why the club may be entertaining a trade.

Will only happen if we get someone like Hill imo.

Clark is superman.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Clark to Freo?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back