Clarkson calls 4am training session...

Remove this Banner Ad

i'm not unhappy about that as long as he doesn't have to do it again - otherwise it'll just show its had no effect

He needed to draw a line in the sand , as it were, to show no-one is bigger than the club. He did that and the players will need to learn from that. Its a good move. They are professional footballers and need to understand whats expected of them.

Nightwolf_69 said:
Bit of a sook are ya mate? Thats crap, be soft on a team that has underperformed for 3 years, and performed like headless chooks this year is not the way to go. They deserved to be punished, keep up the good work AC...

i didnt say what i thought of it, i just said that some players may not take it the right way. footy has moved past these happenings. if this is how clarkson thinks he gains the respect of the players then hes only going to have a short stay at the hawks.

ive been under coaches like this, one of my school footy coaches made us run 120 stairs twice. we were all pretty serious footballers, but this alienated us from the coach and we almost resented every thing he did after that no matter how hard it was.

its one thing to say, OH the hawks were poor last year, they deserved it. however, their confidence would already of been low, they would have been hoping for a new start with clarkson. footy has moved past coaches like this, the hawks are simply trying to send a message out to the membership that last years performance will not be tolerated. (ie article on offical hawks site).

i get the impression clarkson is trying to portray an image of hardness. i dont no much about him but if he backs down he's a gonner. remember ken judge got the sack from both the eagles and hawks because there were some players who didnt like how hard he was on them. this wasnt the only reason but he has said this many times in the media here in perth.

Players know how tough he will be early in the piece- sounds like Schwab was too nice. Good on him for it.

i think i can take all the responsibility for any animosity between PORT POWER and hawthorn football club est. 1853, 9 premierships

:D

I say good on him.
If my team had struggled like the Hawks had this year, and I had a new coaching panel to impress, I'd have been kissing a*se big-time - not running late.
Have we heard yet if Don Scott thinks Clarkson was too soft and thinks it should have been 3 a.m.? ;)

theorangeapple said:
its one thing to say, OH the hawks were poor last year, they deserved it. however, their confidence would already of been low, they would have been hoping for a new start with clarkson. footy has moved past coaches like this, the hawks are simply trying to send a message out to the membership that last years performance will not be tolerated. (ie article on offical hawks site).

Although I can certainly see where you are coming from Apple, I disagree with your assessment that "footy has moved past coaches like this". The Hawkers have had a "touchy feely" coach who was in touch with his emotions for the past 3 years and look where it got them.

The days of running your guts out in rain/hail or shine have gone but the days of punishing the team to instl discipline have not and should never be gone.

if he did nothing about it then i'd be pi##ed...by punishing the whole team , maybe who-ever it was will think again about putting his teamates through a 4am training drill...it will also send a message to the other players of what they can expect if they do the same....in the hawks club song it says ,
" all for one and one for all "...you train and play as a team...a champion team will always beat a team of champions...thats what clarkson is trying instill back at glenferrie so good on him....at AFL level , if you cant handle a tough , uncompromising coach then your boots should be hung...its a professional game and players are expected to be professional about there aproach and thinking of the game,the team and the club they represent...
no room for late comers , sooks or half hearted efforts....

Rocket23 said:
Although I can certainly see where you are coming from Apple, I disagree with your assessment that "footy has moved past coaches like this". The Hawkers have had a "touchy feely" coach who was in touch with his emotions for the past 3 years and look where it got them.

The days of running your guts out in rain/hail or shine have gone but the days of punishing the team to instl discipline have not and should never be gone.
Funny about the touchy-feely comment - what would your opinion of Roos be then? Basically the first decision he did when posted as senior coach was to sack a player, who was first ruck the previous year.

There's a load of difference between good man-management, delegating responsibilty to the players and simply being a hard-nosed bast@rd who's doing it to be spiteful.

If anything, discipline must be tougher now as virtually all players are professional footballers - there aren't the cops, the plumbers, the PE teachers in the team - who have needed their own discipline to balance their external life with football. This is their freakin' job, dammit. You don't need to get up tomorrow and catch the 7.26 from Carnegie.

As stated above, it will be interesting to see the response from the players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clarkson got a two year contract. Certainly not a long time to turn around an ailing playing list. He is doing what he needs to do to get quick results, not in wins and losses so much but in committment, hardness and teamplay.
Dont know any other way he can do it. Schwab tried to treat the players as adults and empowered individuals and look where that got him.

jacqui9 said:
Beaumont doesnt start training until next week. Training at the moment is strictly the youngsters at the club. The more senior guys start later.

This sounds like the Wayne Brittain days at Carlton when youngsters were flogged but the seniors got an easy ride...Hopefully Clarkson has the balls to straighten up the senior lot

Arsene Wenger said:
I like it -- good on ya clarko

They need to pull their fingers out being a club rich with success in the past. They need to get back there !!

With all the talk/wishing of Matthews returning to the Hawks fold that has gone on for the last couple of years, imagine if that had actually happened.

Would anyone be questioning it if Matthew's had taken the reign's and you could substitute Leigh Matthews name for Clarkson's in the article? I serioulsy doubt it.

New coach with a rabble (or at very best and under performing squad) naturally needs to stamp his authority on the playing group early on.

If you make team rules you need to enforce them.

Perfect recent example is David Hookes. Enforced team rules and to the extreme stuck to them. 6am training sessions and even dropped the skipper for being 5 minutes late to training (Chuck Berry).

Result - won the title within in 2 years.

And the healthy team culture exists post teh Hookes era.

My guess is that Clarkson is trying to achieve something along these lines. It might not work - especially if the players aren't of the right character. But he'll soon find out who's mad eof the right stuff to build a core of a team around.

Some off this rabble will just be getting home from the night clubs!
Could probably go straight thru + perhaps they could recruit
L.Angwin he can go the distance!
Nothing different to D.Pagan type effort to get the players attention!
Enough is enough perhaps shape up or ship out!
thoughts!
over + out
Digby

Joffaboy said:
I agree superstar. Especially due to the fact that the delisting period hasn't finished. Not that I'm saying any would be delisted, but the players know that Clarkson wont be taking any crap.
May not convert into actually winning games, but the basis for consistant victories have to start somewhere.
Good on him, and it is about time Hawthorn got some encouraging news for a change.

Spot on Joffaboy.Wallace has been doing the same thing at Richmond the last 2 weeks.Both clubs have become super soft after having "good guy " coaches in Frawley and Schwab.
No wonder the players liked these guys,they were soft as.After the Richmond players ran around the"tan" Wallace commented that they looked more like tennis players than footballers.

If Wallace and Clarkson can suss out the real bludgers there's still time to weed them out.

Well this sounds like the exact opposite of what Thmoas is doing at St Kilda. Be interesting to see which one works out better for the respective clubs.

Personally I prefer something more like Roos, Sheedy or Malthouse who can be really tough and also really empathetic.

Only time will tell.

I think the thing people are forgetting is that the players are paid a lot of money to turn up to training ON TIME!!!! Most of us have to be at work or school on time, and we get told off if we dont. One player didnt rock up till late, so why should they get away with it.

It is not as if the players will be training at 4 am every morning.

Clarkson is simply laying down the law early.

Be interested to hear what the players think. Schwab wasn't one for setting boundaries, more the type to let them all do their own thing.

Maybe the players can also see the benefits for some group "structure" and are pleased with Clarkson's style. After all, the players took it on themselves to have some dawn training sessions this season in an effort to get them out of the comfort zone.

It's not so hard to get up early, and should discourage ideas of late night boozing sessions.

Clarkson is showing he means business and he's calling for the players to get in line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Clarkson calls 4am training session...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back