News Clarkson news, media etc - he’s off into the Sunset!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clarko could not commit long-term (2025 and beyond), which is fair enough given how long he's been in the game.

The club wanted long term stability in order to move through this rebuilding period - and given Clarko couldn't commit longer-term it was decide a that Mitchell would take over. The club took the long-term option. This move was accelerated due to Collingwood wanting Mitchell.

Be assured that Clarko and the rest of the club believe in Mitchell.
Where have you seen it stated Clarko could not commit long term? Was presented by Jeff that he’d been around too long and another 5-10 years was too much.

I've been very nervous about this and spent the last 24 hours trying to convince myself this is a good decision. A few points i have concluded.

1. Even the greatest coaches have an end date. If you take the attachement we all have to Clarkson based on what he has done for us. Sheedy and Mathews fizzled out and were no longer able to be innovative and driven coaches to win premierships. Clarkson hasn't won a final in 6 years and has had 2 bottom 4 finishes. I personally would back him in for another rebuild but it's no gaurantee.

2. For those questioning if Mitchell is ready in 18 months...Collingwood think he is ready now. West Coast players consider him a key part of the 2018 flag, Scofield said he is the best assistant he's seen in his 14 years. He is 7-2 in the VFL and has looked impressive.
Plus was under Clarkson as a player for the previous 15 years.

There's no one who has served a longer apprenticeship in a successful environment.

Gee, some confusing takes on this announcement by some posters in here, who respectfully, are acting as if 'Humphrey B Bear' has just been announced as our next coach - and/or are perhaps being seduced by some in the media's take, who are more than likely behind the scenes not happy that our club is being so transparent with it's future plans, as it simply negates their current and ongoing related speculation and click-bait style articles in relation to the subject...?

Fortunately, by this time next week you'll need to google search for this so-called story...

Whatever is left in Clarkos tank now, he will be running on fumes at the end of 2022.
I'm hoping he gives it all he's got for a grand finale and that it begins a new emerging Hawthorn dynasty.
Excited to see how he takes the game on from here
Ha I was thinking along these lines as well. Phil Jackson and the Last Dance. Only wish we had the list to pull it off but it may be a tad premature despite some very emerging talent on this list

They may have been mentioned, but how do you feel if you’re Craig McRae or Chris Newman et al? Particularly McRae - would assume coming to Hawthorn would’ve been largely based on who he was assisting. Where does that leave him? Pretty decent assistant from all reports. And can Mitchell attract the same level of staff? Just a thought/question - genuinely unsure... am sure they’re all adults and will work it out but the lure of Clarko must’ve been some sort of incentive.

Should post the full quote/article. He goes onto say that Mitchell is the best coach he's ever had, and that includes Adam Simpson.

There's a few comments on reddit about rumours regarding Sam Mitchell's influence on the 2018 West Coast team. Some people credit him for having a bigger impact on the group than Simpson.

Afl360 just showed snippet of a chat with clarko from May... he seemed so ready and eager to smash this rebuild, I'm now so much sadder and also pissed..

Boggles the mind, if he goes elsewhere that'll be enough, if he is then successful, it's gonna be on kennett to answer why that wasn't with us for the greatest legacy in the country

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clarko will have the reigns over game-day tactics, medium term game-plans and strategies etc. With this in mind, where does everyone sit on how Clarkson coaches next year re: selection and gameplan?

A) Clarkson cares about wins and losses again next year. Clarkson brews up a storm all summer and tries to go out with a bang in '22 on-field. Pulls everything out to at least play finals with some of the guys he recruited across, e.g. Jaeger, Chad. There is only so much you can do as a coach (its not like you can easily design set plays like NFL), but do it all, even if it compromises the development of some younger players because they're not getting as many games as they would with a development mindset. Development still takes place at training of course, and Mitchell can focus on development in the VFL as well.​
B) Clarkson forgets wins and losses again next year, focusing purely on development, getting games in to youngsters. Players could potentially be confused by messaging when going back and forth between VFL and AFL and future and present coaches, or messaging could be highly consistent and in unison removing this confusion.​
C) _____?​

Sam will have more responsibility over list management and recruiting. With this in mind, where does everyone sit with how Sam builds relationships with senior players next year that he won't be coaching until '22. Where does everyone sit with him going out and recruiting players that he won't be coaching until '22? To me, this choice is much more simple (A).

A) Commences meetings with them very soon to discuss their long-term plans and whether or not they want to stick around to play under him, potentially causing them to move on sooner. Commences recruitment, potentially bringing in players keen to play for him after a year with Clarko.​
B) Does not commence meetings with current senior players until end of '22 when he officially starts, potentially causing unrest to develop. Commences recruitment when he is actually in the job.​
C) _____?​
One more thing... As Mitchell is coaching BHH, he is unlikely to attend a lot of Senior games...In reality, he will be pretty distant from game day action.

One more thing... As Mitchell is coaching BHH, he is unlikely to attend a lot of Senior games...In reality, he will be pretty distant from game day action.
Hasn't he been on the sidelines of most senior games this year?

Malthouse agrees, complete failure. Now all we need is David King to weigh in and we'll know this is the greatest coaching move of all time.

View attachment 1172628

I can't Collingwood finished 1st and 2nd in those two seasons we're finishing 15th and 17th etc at the moment, different clubs in different positions at the times of these succession plans.

Malthouse agrees, complete failure. Now all we need is David King to weigh in and we'll know this is the greatest coaching move of all time.

View attachment 1172628
The thing was that Nathan Buckley was seen as being the then Collingwood President Eddie McGuire's favorite player. Nothing like that is happening at Hawthorn.

The club once had an openly racist recruitment policy, personally I found that more disgusting than a coaching transition.
Only on the say so of John Turnbull that has never been substantiated by one other person. The last time this was quoted in the Age (within the last 12 months) I challenged the journo via email to ask JT to add a name to substantiate the timeline, or have the courage to name the person. I added it otherwise sullied the names of Kennedy, Parkin, Jeans etal who as coaches who oversaw recruiting particularly when the club management was smaller compared to today. Nothing in response because it never was a policy and the mere suggestion it was demeans many many good people.

Did Bucks even have coaching experience prior to those 2 years?
Nope. Nor did many if any of the coaches that people keep trotting out as comparisons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back