Clarkson on the attack. The good the bad and the ugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like a sook and bad loser when he brings it up in a post game press conference.

I can't remember Clarko making an excuse for a loss in a post match presser before; maybe he has, but it is not his usual form. I believe he had an agenda for raising it now and is probably happy with the reaction.

I don't see calling a meeting with the boss as such a big issue.

In my opinion, which I will admit is biased, Sydney and Geelong defenses have been getting away with blocking and holding tactics for years now, and those tactics are called by the media as "good use of the body" by those two clubs, but blocking, or a push, hands in the back etc if we use similar methods. This is caused by members of the media's animosity towards the most successful club in the competition in recent times.

My theory is Clarkos just playing the long game here , he was just able to use Friday’s game as a platform to bring this topic up

Which team is the best at sheparding and blocking in defence? Richmond

And it is more than ironic that the two clubs/coaches most vocal on umpiring are having the biggest whinge about it , are we really surprised ?

There havent been many fines dished out to coaches for comment recently. Youd think theres been comments at leasr as bad as some in the past which have had sanctions. Was brad scott the last?

I didn't think that blocking was the issue on Friday night

It was Grundy hanging onto Roughy everytime the ball looked like entering our forward 50. He lets go just as the ball is kicked so the umpire can't see it and by that stage Roughy's movement has been stifled enough that he can't get decent separation. Grundy's been doing that for years though

How on Earth would anyone of these w***ers in the media know what was spoken about? That little germ Tom Morris on the couch last night grinning away as if he’d broken some massive story. And the hypocracy of Chris Scott is sickening, but as others have said, what Scott and Horse think about Clarko is of zero relevance

I don't think it was a melt. There were some free kicks which were utter bullshit on Friday. Being at the game and hearing the crowd I'm clearly not the only one who thinks that. Also the fact that Parker escaped without a fine is criminal. I say well done to Clarko for making noise.

Tackling in a game is so under rewarded because the way the rules are enforced means teams are happy to allow their players to just pick up the ball take two steps with the ball and then effectively surge the ball forward in a scrum like fashion without any chance of a penalty for incorrect disposal because "they tried" or "made an attempt". It doesn't make the spectacle that enjoyable to watch when defensive plays go unrewarded in favour of the participation like award for picking up the ball and immediately dropping it when tackled. No team doesn't do it and I doubt Clarko isn't arguing that we are an innocent party in it.
Sydney do this on purpose and have been doing it for years. They purposely let the ball "come out in the tackle". The continue to do it until they can either force a stoppage or or clear the ball with the understanding that the player with the ball will drop it. Makes for ugly footy!

It's not an every now and then for them it is a tactic they train to implement. Horse won't like the spotlight on this as it destroys his game plan.

Half caught a snippet of some media guy on SEN saying that Clarkson basically has an access all areas pass at AFL House such is his standing in the game.
If Clarko wants to speak to Gil, he can speak to Gil. Steve Hocking. Anyone...

All the other coaches must take a ticket and wait their turn, if they get one at all!

When Clarko speaks to Steve Hocking again, can he stand on Hocking's head?
Even better if he jumps on Hocking's head.

I'd feel better for Johnny Platten.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

David King on SEN......

If Clarko has something to say about the state of footy, you listen

Hawthorn have always played attractive footy, great to watch

Geelong have shored up their defensive efforts remarkably, but its bloody awful to watch

Sydney do this on purpose and have been doing it for years. They purposely let the ball "come out in the tackle". The continue to do it until they can either force a stoppage or or clear the ball with the understanding that the player with the ball will drop it. Makes for ugly footy!

It's not an every now and then for them it is a tactic they train to implement. Horse won't like the spotlight on this as it destroys his game plan.

... I guess there could only be one name for this wondrous game plan? :poo::rolleyes:

longmire.PNG

I love it. It’s not whinging, it’s getting an edge any way you can. If it results in a few “blocking” frees to Roughy this week in the goalsquare, then ferken gold. The comp is so even now, umps are going to play a huge part.
Look at the cats. They know this. Scott is the mouthpiece every week. Dangerwoodlett execute it every week. Do they care what people think? No. They just care they won the 50-50 free kick that helps their team win the game.
In a game of inches, every free counts.
Ronked.

Haha, you're kidding aren't you. More likely that Eric Hipwood is the beneficiary in all this.....

I didn't think that blocking was the issue on Friday night

It was Grundy hanging onto Roughy everytime the ball looked like entering our forward 50. He lets go just as the ball is kicked so the umpire can't see it and by that stage Roughy's movement has been stifled enough that he can't get decent separation. Grundy's been doing that for years though

Wasn't the reason we got the extra umpire so that they could clamp down on these tactics in the forward line? Trouble is all 3 umpires follow the play and don't position themselves in the best spots to see what the defenders, or even the forwards are doing to create 'space'.

The HTB interpretation on Friday night was really hard to follow, let alone the two incidents involving blocking in our forward line late in the last quarter, where one was paid and one wasn't.

Umpires can't be perfect, but what they can be is consistent, and currently I'm NOT seeing consistency.

I was at the game on Friday. Hawks did a "blocking"/intercept marking drill for quite a while in the warm-up. Like so many things in this game, it's a question of how far you can push it, and what is then interpreted as an infringement.

The HTBs/tackles are terrible and they should just pay them immediately, get rid of prior opportunity.

I was at the game on Friday. Hawks did a "blocking"/intercept marking drill for quite a while in the warm-up. Like so many things in this game, it's a question of how far you can push it, and what is then interpreted as an infringement.

The HTBs/tackles are terrible and they should just pay them immediately, get rid of prior opportunity.

I've seen this mentioned a lot especially by Clarko, but i'm not sure many realise what an enormous impact it would have on the game, and not all of it positive. It would take a huge step toward punishing brave players who hunt the footy. We'd probably even see some crafty players deliberately handball to opposition then tackle them immediately to win free kicks

Prior opportunity has to stay otherwise it is a disincentive to win the ball. Instead players will prefer to sweat on their opponents ready to pounce with a tackle..

What needs to go is the fact they allow "play on, the ball was knocked free in the tackle" calls. Which is a loophole to subvert the need to make a decision on both holding the ball AND incorrect disposal infringements.

IF they get this right the follow on effects will address both of the last fortnight's major discussion points. Congestion and hyper aggressive tackling players into the dirt.

Congestion will dissapate as the increase of HTB free kicks paid will spread the field tenfold.
The hyper aggressive tackling will also dissapate as the tacklers will actually be getting reward for effort.

I've seen this mentioned a lot especially by Clarko, but i'm not sure many realise what an enormous impact it would have on the game, and not all of it positive. It would take a huge step toward punishing brave players who hunt the footy. We'd probably even see some crafty players deliberately handball to opposition then tackle them immediately to win free kicks

But that assumes that the opposition player is close enough to handball to and then tackle quickly enough. If they start paying HTB sooner and more frequently, the tendency will be to spread quickly, create options and space. You can see this when any free kick is paid.

There could be a few ways to police this rule, it's a very interesting discussion.

No prior opportunity - so if you're caught and don't dispose of it correctly then free kick against. This will definitely change the game, some would argue for the better and others for the worse but it would definitely see the speed of the game increase with far less stoppages and over time perhaps a different type of player would evolve or thrive. There would definitely be more tap ons rather than taking possession in congestion.

The problem with the current htb and prior opportunity is that they are very grey and so are far more prone to misinterpretation.

Food for thought, I guess if you are a traditionalist you might favour prior opportunity otherwise if you're like me you might like to see a game where there are more sleight of hand tap ons similar to what the Hawks have been known for in the past. To me that's far better to watch than rolling mauls.

Food for thought!

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

But that assumes that the opposition player is close enough to handball to and then tackle quickly enough. If they start paying HTB sooner and more frequently, the tendency will be to spread quickly, create options and space. You can see this when any free kick is paid.

Look that's an extreme example but one I honestly believe would occur occasionally and wouldn't be a great look for the game. The problem is you're not just going to see all the things you love about the game right now but with less congestion, the game as you know it would be completely different. I'd say one of the reasons Clarko would want it implemented is because it would favour a possession based gameplan

This has been renamed to "jarred free in the tackle"
I'd like them to explain the difference between incorrect disposal and jarred/knocked free in a tackle

They can't because it is a load of shit.

Like a poster earlier stated, the aggressive tackling etc that we have seen progressively get worse over the past decade are a result of the non holding the ball calls.

And yet at our peak you had head****ed commentators calling for a legitimate 15 metre kick to be changed to 20m because we were too good in comparison to other less skilled teams. The emphasis being the skill level. There is no skill in throwing the ball to keep it moving - hence the rugby scrums.

Remove this Banner Ad

Clarkson on the attack. The good the bad and the ugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Back