NO TROLLS Clarkson signs on as new North Melbourne coach - No Trolling

Remove this Banner Ad

Clarko is the best available coach and we need an experienced coach.
We have burnt through two untried appointments in Shaw & Noble.
The only other available are untried like Adam Yze (who called us a basketcase)
Patch Adams has been great as caretaker but isn't ready for the job permanently.
I applaud the club for going for the best available option.
Come on man this is Big Footy, don't let the facts get in the way of a story

Clarko is the best available coach and we need an experienced coach.
We have burnt through two untried appointments in Shaw & Noble.
The only other available are untried like Adam Yze (who called us a basketcase)
Patch Adams has been great as caretaker but isn't ready for the job permanently.
I applaud the club for going for the best available option.

Based on what evidence?

Zero finals wins in his last six seasons.

Even Leon Cameron and Don Pyke boast better records 🤣

Do you think he used the North offer to force WC to up their own offer?

Or are you too simple to figure this basic stuff out for yourself?
They didn't up the offer though did they, simpleton.
No doubt you start most of your statements with "I don't mean to whinge but....."
Screenshot_2022-08-12-22-12-14-75_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Based on what evidence?

4 Flags in 17 years. If Clarkson could even get this current North Melbourne team back to being a contending side in 5 years then he'll have done his job.

You can't expect miracles,but you can expect an experienced career coach to oversee the overhaul and implement the best possible program to allow for success given the resources on hand.

Let him go to some other mob who are happy to pay him big bucks to live off past glories.

Or if you absolutely 'must' sign him, give him 2 years with triggers for 3rd and 4th year.

Finals in 2024 or out the door.

The paying members have been waiting a long time to see a decent team on the park.

With the picks coming the club's way this season, after the last two seasons of high picks, there'll be enough talent on the park.

If they can't make top 8 in 2024 with a big name coach after all of this then what is the point?

Five year plans are for Terrys Wallets and co i.e. the bin 🚮

You've got to hold onto those players from the high picks, youngsters are more likely to hang around with him at the helm.

Potential to make North a destination club for some of those juicy free agents, something the likes of Adams can't do in the short term.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clarko’s mistake was trying to prop an ageing list up when they had fired their last shot.

If he’d kept the picks and leaned heavily into rejuvenating at the end of 2016 they’d be out the other side of it by now.

Easy to say in hindsight of course, and Geelong have more or less pulled it off.

Will be interesting to see how he goes, but you’d think he’d at least stem the bleeding and make them consistently competitive quickly.

This is exactly what I feared.

Clarksons did brilliant things with the Hawks but his last flag was seven years ago.

What happened to them after that? They've just gotten worse and worse.

Clarksons is 54 years old, so a five year contract would mean having him at the helm until 60.

Or being on the hook to have to pay him until 60 even if things don't work out.

This has disaster written all over it but I don't expect much better from the club these days tbh.

I've been a member for almost 20 years, the club is in the worst state I have seen it since the dark days of 2007.

I'd love to be proven wrong but this Alastairs Clarksons contract could prove to be the biggest ****up since Carey and you know who.

That's if he even takes the deal, and isn't just using NMFC as leverage for a better deal elsewhere, Martin / Gaff style.

Hopefully that's what he is indeed doing, and all we end up with is egg on our face (again).

Better that than a has-been on a five year, multi million dollar deal.

4f11a116-fed3-40f8-a420-c94835b2ed12_text.gif
So your getting Mick Malthouse vibes

Has Mick Malthouse at Carlton written all over it.

North Melbourne are desperate for good PR and someone to take them seriously as a footy club.

How many "gun" players have they targeted but were ultimately knocked back by ?

Their prized number 1 pick looks like heading for the exit.

It's a long way back to relevancy. Is Clarko the man to steer their on field fortunes away from currently being the footy version of Titanic ??

Big red flags for me.

Board believing the list can make the finals and a coach who wants success straight away with a recent history of topping up.

You can see the Roos improving straight away but in 5 years in no mans land. Good not good enough.

Better for the Roos to hit the draft hard and build a core for continuing success.

Clarkson came into a Hawthorn team hitting the draft and netting Hodge, Lewis, Mitchell, Roughhead , Franklin , and Rioli as their core group. Then they topped up with players like Lake, Hale, and Gibson.

I don't believe that Clarkson will have the patience to build the core.

Let him go to some other mob who are happy to pay him big bucks to live off past glories.

Or if you absolutely 'must' sign him, give him 2 years with triggers for 3rd and 4th year.

Finals in 2024 or out the door.

The paying members have been waiting a long time to see a decent team on the park.

With the picks coming the club's way this season, after the last two seasons of high picks, there'll be enough talent on the park.

If they can't make top 8 in 2024 with a big name coach after all of this then what is the point?

Five year plans are for Terrys Wallets and co i.e. the bin 🚮

Whatever you think of Clarkson, NOBODY would be able to get North into finals within 2 years.

A 5 year deal is an admission that the club is stuffed and needs both a complete rebuild and someone with the credibility to pull it off. Presumably it also gives him pretty much free reign over the football department for the duration.

Any player with hopes of success in their career (finals & flags) and isn't willing or able to wait at least 4-5 years in the hope that it'll happen at North should be looking at the door.

Why did North say they were going to go through an in-depth process if they knew they were just going to go after Clarkson?

It’s been known we would start that process if Clarko said no for a while, ie the much mooted all in approach.

Based on what evidence?

He got an underwhelming list to finals in 2018 and top 4. It was his coaching alone that got us there. Sure we bombed out in straight sets but we weren't that far away in the semi final against Melbourne. He still has a decent amount of nous to construct a good gameplan and his year out of the game has been spent gaining knowledge in case he does stick his toes in the water again. You won't get a better coach not coaching than Clarko. Is he at his peak? No but he will instill a good culture at the club and high standards and in time your fortunes could change.

I don't think this a good idea. Clarkson would be good for 3 years to help keep the media vultures away from North and stabilise the club like Roos did for Melbourne, but beyond that, he should only be kept on a merit basis. Otherwise you're not getting a coach, but a CEO that will run the whole club like Sheedy during his final days at Essendon. North have to put some value and boundaries on their coaching job.

This is a great move by North.
Offer a big and lengthy contract and bring the games highest profile coach to the club.

They are all in on Clarkson and have shown their hand. But this is what they need to do to get him, and finally fill a key position with a competent candidate.

With the coaching role filled, North should look to how the CEO is performing and how the club is going about executing his long term strategy (if not sure it exists). And the prez is new to the role but she will be crucial in ensuring stability for the club once that plan is agreed upon.

All the on field stuff is secondary at this stage.

Exciting times at North.

Remove this Banner Ad

NO TROLLS Clarkson signs on as new North Melbourne coach - No Trolling

Remove this Banner Ad

Back