NO TROLLS Clarkson signs on as new North Melbourne coach - No Trolling

Remove this Banner Ad

Clarksons didn't win a single final in his last six seasons at the Hawks.

wFtmjUcAWg52vwJbti8KXjKEXR4qDr6s19DeOxiv_X4.jpg

Out in straight sets twice, didn't make top 8 in the other four seasons.

Look at the Hawks list now. They're in serious trouble, won't be contending any time soon.

The jubilation among North supporters is sad to see, shows how much they've suffered over the past 20 years.

This Clarksons fella better not be using this five year deal as an early retirement package.

But could you blame him if he did? The madman played this very well, credit where it's due.

I'll support him as the senior coach and hope he does well, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

The dude didn't win a final in his final six years at a well-resourced club with plenty of talent on the list.

I mean seriously, it is almost like a joke that this guy is so revered to this day.

Yeah, he coached a threepeat, we all respect that. Amazing achievement.

But this isn't 2013 Clarksons and this list doesn't have a Buddy and a Roughead and a Hodge.

Anyway good luck to Clarksons, I hope he and Sonja make me eat a large premium humble pie.

I doubt it, though. I seriously doubt it.

Not 'just up and coming' but a team which landed Roughead, Franklin and Lewis in a single draft.

Three top 7 picks, one of them an all-time great of the AFL, one a 283-game legend, and one a very good midfielder in his day.

You think we are going to have that luck in this year's draft? Please.

And let's not forget that Clarksons's threepeat was on the back of compromised drafts in '10 -> '13.

Whichever teams were at the top of their cycles entering 2013 were going to stay there.

And that is exactly what happened. It's not a coincidence.

Ok. So who in your view should North have signed as coach and why? Make your case.

Good luck to North- disappointed Clarkson didn't choose the Giants. Praying we don't end up with the Essendon cabal stinking out the box. kenny, are you listening?

I like Clarkson and I think he's a great get.

But, he's not necessarily going to be the messiah any time soon.

Pagan, Blight and Malthouse all failed in their last gigs. All legendary coaches who were regarded in similar esteem to what Clarkson is now.

Roos helped turned Melbourne around but it was a long haul of 8 years before they won a flag under his understudy Goodwin.

The deadline will most likely horrifically backfire on North. Clarkson needs time to consider all offers.

Poorly played by them. They miss their man yet again.
Lol
Never doubt Sonja
Ross Lyon made a good point last night.

The new essendon president wouldnt cause this upheaval if he didnt think he could land Clarkson.
Unfortunately the new Essendon president is a moron

From the bottom?

You're 16th and heading for a long old stretch at the bottom, without having any flags to show for your massive gifts on entry to our comp.

Hopefully Clarkson returning after success elsewhere ends up better than recent dynasty coaches like Bomber Thompson and Mick Malthouse.

Let's not pretend that Clarkson automatically makes players like Nick Larkey, Aidan Corr and Callum Coleman - Jones better players. The list is still poor outside the top dozen or so guys and even the guys at the top probably aren't as good as other clubs.

They should improve, it's been a LONG time coming for North, hopefully this watershed moment can take them from out of the depths of the AFL landscape.

Not 'just up and coming' but a team which landed Roughead, Franklin and Lewis in a single draft.

Three top 7 picks, one of them an all-time great of the AFL, one a 283-game legend, and one a very good midfielder in his day.

And let's not forget that Clarksons's threepeat was on the back of compromised drafts in '10 -> '13.

Whichever teams were at the top of their cycles entering 2013 were going to stay there.

And he will walk into a side with recent picks of:

1,1,3,8,4,5,12 in recent years, with some of those like LDU about to roar into their prime. Not to mention a dozen other top 30 picks.

Arguably Clarko’s biggest strength was at the trade table, which is something we need.

I like Clarkson and I think he's a great get.

But, he's not necessarily going to be the messiah any time soon.

Pagan, Blight and Malthouse all failed in their last gigs. All legendary coaches who were regarded in similar esteem to what Clarkson is now.

Roos helped turned Melbourne around but it was a long haul of 8 years before they won a flag under his understudy Goodwin.
Correct. It’s all about the cattle. Clarkson's last 2 years at the Hawks they finished 14th and 15th. Barassi went 1/21 in 1980 with Melbourne and I think achieved the same result with the Swans.

One thing North have in the favour is that they are apparently financially sound. Paying the reported 1.5mil a year to a coach when they have very little talent and not much coming through might impact on the one thing they have going for them.

You can't polish a t^rd and right now the NMFC are a stinking one.

Interestingly Clarkson addressed the fact that he is seen as the sole contributor to all decision making within Hawthorn, a mini Scomo if you will. He actually had more of a chairperson internal committee type approach which probably explains his assistant coaches getting senior roles.

He grew people like Simmo, Bevo, Fagan and Hardwick by involving them in decision making on important decisions. It's about the quality of assistant coaches and their collective ability to work together. Look at Choco, Richardson ex senior coaches working under Goodwin a novice coach. Even Yze who worked under Clarko it's about the collective.

Then you look at Essendon with Caracella and Stanton ex Essendon old boys and even Gia and Tudor no senior coaching experience at AFL level. Promising yet relatively inexperienced assistant coaches with it appears the outcome of a inexperienced incoherent game style. Then Collingwood with Bolton as a former senior coach and Leppitsch ex senior coach. Result a really clear game plan seemingly well explained and understood.

It makes a difference and if you're going with a new group you need patience and unity in the board which at Essendon seems non existent.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder what Clarkson is going to do with North as history showed at Hawthorn he liked to trade, so I wonder if he will trade in some players to cover some of North's weaknesses, possibly also look for players not in other teams best 22's that would also be cheap to get. The good thing about being the worst team in the competition is that many teams have players who are in their reserves who would be good enough for your best 22.

I don't get the media portraying Clarkson rejected the Bombers. Surely the process with North (and GWS) was so advanced that Essendon had no ****ing chance anyway. As if he was suddenly going to entertain Essendon and make the decision to go with them in 3 days!

To think that more than 50% of their board (thanks to Sheeds) didn't consider this and made a reactionary leap after a flogging doesn't bode well for the future of the club. Clarkson didn't embarrass them. They embarrassed themselves.

Interestingly Clarkson addressed the fact that he is seen as the sole contributor to all decision making within Hawthorn, a mini Scomo if you will. He actually had more of a chairperson internal committee type approach which probably explains his assistant coaches getting senior roles. He grew people like Simmo, Bevo, Fagan and Hardwick by involving them in decision making on important decisions. It's about the quality of assistant coaches and their collective ability to work together. Look at Choco, Richardson ex senior coaches working under Goodwin a novice coach. Even Yze who worked under Clarko it's about the collective. Then you look at Essendon with Caracella and Stanton ex Essendon old boys and even Gia and Tudor no senior coaching experience at AFL level. Promising yet relatively inexperienced assistant coaches with it appears the outcome of a inexperienced incoherent game style. Then Collingwood with Bolton as a former senior coach and Leppitsch ex senior coach. Result a really clear game plan seemingly well explained and understood. It makes a difference and if you're going with a new group you need patience and unity in the board which at Essendon seems non existent.
Paragraphs, mate.

I don't get the media portraying Clarkson rejected the Bombers. Surely the process with North (and GWS) was so advanced that Essendon had no ******* chance anyway. As if he was suddenly going to entertain Essendon and make the decision to go with them in 3 days!

To think that more than 50% of their board (thanks to Sheeds) didn't consider this and made a reactionary leap after a flogging doesn't bode well for the future of the club. Clarkson didn't embarrass them. They embarrassed themselves.

Some media people were sucked in by some Essendon people talking up their chances of landing Clarko.

I wonder what Clarkson is going to do with North as history showed at Hawthorn he liked to trade, so I wonder if he will trade in some players to cover some of North's weaknesses, possibly also look for players not in other teams best 22's that would also be cheap to get. The good thing about being the worst team in the competition is that many teams have players who are in their reserves who would be good enough for your best 22.
North supporters carrying on like it's a premiership (landing Clarkson) but failing to realise they still have a shit list

This effort against the GC shows he's got a fair bit to do.
They had a lot of outs today so not surprising at all.
Aaron Hall (Omitted),Callum Coleman-Jones (Injured),Jack Ziebell (Injured),Jackson Archer (Injured),Jaidyn Stephenson (Injured),Jed Anderson (Injured),Paul Curtis (Injured)

Probably sew up a priority pick of some kind too.
With only two wins it could be the like the time Clarkson took over Hawks when Roughy and Buddy Franklin were drafted together.
He'll have something to work with in his time there.

Aaron Hall (Omitted),Callum Coleman-Jones (Injured),Jack Ziebell (Injured),Jackson Archer (Injured),Jaidyn Stephenson (Injured),Jed Anderson (Injured),Paul Curtis (Injured)

Probably sew up a priority pick of some kind too.
With only two wins it could be the like the time Clarkson took over Hawks when Roughy and Buddy Franklin were drafted together.
He'll have something to work with in his time there.
1660977591243.png

I hope so, for his sake.

Lol...those blokes are absolute plodders.

Remove this Banner Ad

NO TROLLS Clarkson signs on as new North Melbourne coach - No Trolling

Remove this Banner Ad

Back