NO TROLLS Clarkson signs on as new North Melbourne coach - No Trolling

Remove this Banner Ad

Even if he doesn't coach us to 5, the things he brings off field, sponsors, players, culture membership etc are beyond huge.

What's your opinion on Sheedy still being on your board and his quest to return Hird as coach?

I don't want Hird as coach clearly. But what's that got to do with the thread? Nothing.

I was thinking the same but listening to him speak you can tell the authenticity he has and how he is in it for the right reasons. Think mick was in it to prove Eddie wrong.
Great get by the kangas.

I think Grumpy Mick thought ( so did the club officials ) that he was going to walk in, and success was not far away.

North are at the bottom, the only way is up ..... slowly. As long as the club understands that they have another 2 seasons of pain, before all the work starts to show positives, all will be good.

I’ll reserve judgement on Clarko’s Tenure at North’s for at least 2 years. He has to make positive moves to set his list up for the future, no getting of “superannuation” players.

Have a listen to afl daily .
Just a rambled diatribe.

Basically called him a campaigner. At one point he said "there is a word nat but I'm not going to use it".

Barret obviously believed the Bombers were getting clarko and nth were jilted on the aisle.
This false narrative seemed to infect the footy journos like a snap plague.

Just shows how their "itk " is mainly a bluff.
Footy journalism us all dart board stuff.

Essendons president and Clarkson seemed to have conflicting stories.

He said “Clarkson was interested” so made the call, then Clarkson said he was approached and only took the meeting out of respect.

I know who I believe. And its probably not the guy from the club that is a shit show at the moment.

Yep i don't get it Kane Cornes said eariler in the week it's a mess at Essendon but so to North they aren't squeeky clean ethier

Being the Devils Advocate, maybe the difference in the clubs is :-

Essendon - think they are a big club, ego’s, think they know best, don’t like being told.

North - less ego’s so can be told the bitter truth, and accept it. Smaller club = less “heads to bang” to force change.

Clarko can get what he wants at North, would have to do lots of “political backscratching” at Essendon.

The immediate gains from appointing Clarkson are obvious and a testament to his standing in the game. Much of his success aside from, standards, discipline and a consistent strategy to recruitment, came from is innovative game style that enabled Hawthorn to get a jump on the rest of the competition. Clarko will need to reinvent himself again to achieve sustained success at North. Something that the other Messiah coaches in Malthouse, Pagan and Barassi weren’t able to do.
Really interesting to see what he does, and I’m sure it will evolve.

But with the young kids that we have, LDU, Simpkin and JHF especially are stoppage animals. Goldy is part of that and he won’t be there much longer, so his absence might change things, but I would have thought stoppages would be a big part of his game plan.

Certainly, as noble found out, we don’t have the cattle to possess the footy at this stage. All that means is 70 points per week to the oppo in turnovers

Pretty much how I was hoping (but what's that got do with anything). I'm trying to make an objective analysis of the litany of recent failures of premiership coaches joining (and failing at ) their new clubs

I stand by everything I said about Clarkson. History is not on the side of older coaches who join clubs as a messiah. It just doesn't work out.

He will be 59 at the end of this contract. Hawthorn, who I respect greatly, politely moved him on, because they hadn't won a final for the last 6 years of his tenure and they felt they were treading water, and wanted to refresh and renew.

Beware the seduction of a "name"

I’m not looking at Clarkson as the messiah, but if he gets North intrenched in the finals within his 5 year reign, job done.

The 5 years after that, are when the investment may show the profits. It may be a new younger coach for the second 5 year stint.

Essendons president and Clarkson seemed to have conflicting stories.

He said “Clarkson was interested” so made the call, then Clarkson said he was approached and only took the meeting out of respect.
This would've all taken place over the past 2 months

Essendon were 2-10 and in 16th place after Round 13. There were rumblings from Essendon people back then about giving Rutten the arse and getting Clarkson. (From Essendon people in the media and probably also from rich supporters & coterie groups.) It's likely Clarkson reached out through his manager around that time and indicated he would be interested.

Except we know the Essendon board has been divided. They'd had an internal review, but nothing was resolved. People kept their jobs. And then the team suddenly started to play well. They won 5 of their next 6 games. Any talk of giving Rutten the boot was temporarily silenced.

It was right around this time that North realised Clarkson was there for the taking. They sacked Noble and started discussions with Clarko.

Meanwhile Essendon twiddled their thumbs. It took until the abysmal loss to Port in Round 22 before the disgruntled agitators on their board rose up against their president Brasher and demanded they DO SOMETHING. Brasher stepped down. Barham stepped up and he put a call though to Clarkson saying they wanted him to be their coach.

Clarkson and North had met 4 for 5 times and were advanced stages of negotiations. He was all but over the line. But as Clarkson said, he was approached by Essendon, so he took the meeting "out of respect." He had to at least hear what they were offering in terms of money, number of years, appointment of assistants, etc.

So it's not really a contradiction if you look at it like that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Essendon - think they are a big club, ego’s, think they know best, don’t like being told.

North - less ego’s so can be told the bitter truth, and accept it. Smaller club = less “heads to bang” to force change.

Clarko can get what he wants at North, would have to do lots of “political backscratching” at Essendon.
I just think he prefers to be at north and they have treated the whole process respectfully.

G

Good point. If I was looking at a 5 year coaching contract, I would be looking far more at the club’s executive leadership and board than the playing list. Playing list is within your control after you start, board and executives are outside your control, can be a pain the arse and can erode the culture you are trying to develop. No way would I choose Essendon at the moment.

There’s a few people on here suspiciously quiet after saying all week that there was no way he’d choose North over Essendon.

If it wasn’t obvious before Monday, it was after everyone saw how that dumpster fire treated Rutten.

Clarko will be much more successful at North than he would have been at the Dons. Ultimately North have better top end talent it’s just not developed yet.

Clarko gets:

LDU
Tarryn Thomas
Phillips - jury out
Back to back number 1 picks

Among other talent there it is a good starting base.

Clarko will be much more successful at North than he would have been at the Dons. Ultimately North have better top end talent it’s just not developed yet.

Clarko gets:

LDU
Tarryn Thomas
Phillips - jury out
Back to back number 1 picks

Among other talent there it is a good starting base.
Clarko gets total control at North. And he will build a proper footy club from the ground up.

If North sell Horne-Francis they go into this years draft with 1, 5, whatever else Adelaide have to stump up, 19 and maybe 20 as well.

Add to that there are green shoots already there.

With everyone on the same page (there are too many pages for Brittanica to sort through at Essendon) Clarko will succeed at North.

I honestly believe Clarkson has strung both North and GWS along. Putting pressure on Essendon to move and that’s exactly what’s happened.

Reports came out a few weeks ago he was interested in the Essendon job. I thought it was odd when GW on 360 stated he might wait out another year. It seems that it’s been a “secret” in the AFL that he was asked by a faction of the Essendon board to come across and he was keen to take them up on the offer.

Why have interviews with GWS if you had no intention to move interstate? After all of this time, why hasn’t he signed at North? Just seems off to me.

Could be wrong, but I honestly believe he will be coaching Essendon next year.
Lool

Think you’ve been strung

The irony of you saying 'I'm being respectful' but opening with 'I don't understand scum supporters'.
There was no irony. That WAS being respectful.

There is irony on behalf of the deluded in thinking that Clarko would consider them.

It is delicious

Remove this Banner Ad

NO TROLLS Clarkson signs on as new North Melbourne coach - No Trolling

Remove this Banner Ad

Back