Classic Matches - Your choice?

Remove this Banner Ad

So many choices to pick from i can't pick just four but here's a few off the top of my head. As you can see i'm not sure exactly what round some of these games were played.

Geelong vs Essendon - Ablett vs Salmon shoot out at the MCG?
Essendon vs West Coast - Bombers win by less than a goal & Sheedy starts the now traditional jacket wave between the two clubs. :thumbsu:
Collingwood vs Essendon - Anzac Day clashes especially the first couple.
Port Adelaide vs Brisbane - they have played in quite a few drawn games
Geelong vs Hawthorn Grand Final 89
Port Adelaide vs Adelaide - 97 1st ever meeting between the two teams.

I could go & list heaps of games but i won't so you could pick any 4 from those above & they would be worthy in my opinion.

North Melbourne V Bulldogs of Round 22 1998. Top against second in the final H&A game of the year and it was a corker. Nearly 70,000 at the G on a balmy Fiday night and game that goes to the wire. The Roos win and grab top spot from the Dogs.

North Melbourne V Essendon in 1993. The bombers lead for the majority of the night and Wayne Carey goes nuts and tears the Bombers apart in 40 minutes. Bruce McAvanny declares that Wayne is "Special."

North Melbourne V Geelong 1994 Prelim Final. An absolute classic of a game. Both sides look down and out at various times and the game is decided in the final seconds as Leigh Tudor floats a mongrel kick over Mick Martyn's head and it lands in the arms of Gazza. A goal after the siren put the Cats into the Grand Final.

North Melbourne V St Kilda 1998 Ansett Cup Grand Final. Another game decided by Carey at his best. Saints leading well for the first 2 and a bit quarters and then Carey stamps his authority on the game and the Kangas come storming home to defeat the Saints.

TheBrownDog said:
Ah yes, the day that a blind goal umpire stole 4 points from the Lions. Truly a classic match. :thumbsdown:
At most it was two points that they cost you because it would've been a draw if it was OOB.

In any case, after the last quarter of '02, the irony in a Lions fan talking about being robbed of a game due to dodgy goal umpring is rather thick. ;)

In addition to the 89 Grand Final and the Rd 6 clash between Hawthorn and Geelong, the classic match - and possibly the best match I've gone to - is the 1996 Rd 22 clash between Hawthorn and Melbourne - the so-called "Merger match". It had it all, Dunstall's 100th of the season, Hawthorn needing to win to get into the finals, and the shadow that this might be the last time the two clubs play each other as independent entities. And the result? Hawks get up in a thriller, then bow out in the first week of the finals in another thriller at the SCG.

Geelong Vs Carlton - 2002. (when ricca kicked the goal after siren)
Port Vs. St Kilda - 2004 Prelim Final
Geelong Vs. Hawks - 1989 GF
Port Vs Brisbane - 2004 GF (topped off a stellar month by a team that stuck it up 'em)

Lenny29 said:
At most it was two points that they cost you because it would've been a draw if it was OOB.

In any case, after the last quarter of '02, the irony in a Lions fan talking about being robbed of a game due to dodgy goal umpring is rather thick. ;)
No, that was a point. In any case, the difference between Rocca's point and and Aussie Jones' (was it him?) OOB was huge. Not to mention that we beat you by more than 5 points. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

windyhill said:
Helix, four were asked for, you left off the Port one.
No I didn't. I missed the 2003 Prelim at Telstra Stadium against the Swans where we blew them again in the last quarter, 6 goals to zip.

1. Carlton vs Essendon 1999 preliminary final - underdogs beating massive favourites, close result, one of the greatest quarters of football of all time from Koutoufides, and, well... it was against Essendon!

2. 1989 grand final Hawthorn vs Geelong - approximately 300 goals kicked, half of them by Gary Ablett. People almost died on the field, and it went right down to the wire. About the only way you could get more out of a football match would be Collingwood losing by a point...

3. 1996 - Hawthorn vs Melbourne merger clash - damn that game had some passion in it.

4. 1979 grand final - Wayne Harmes robs Collingwood of victory in the dying seconds. What more could you ask for?

Remove this Banner Ad

Classic Matches - Your choice?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back