Speculation Clayton Oliver [UFA 2030]

Remove this Banner Ad

You'd imagine for Oliver to get to the Cats some players will need to be traded.

The likes of Clark, Knevitt, Bowes wont be seeing games anytime soon unless Smith and Oliver implode at some stage next year (not out of the realms).

Don't think they have a heap of value though.

You'd imagine for Oliver to get to the Cats some players will need to be traded.

The likes of Clark, Knevitt, Bowes wont be seeing games anytime soon unless Smith and Oliver implode at some stage next year (not out of the realms).

Don't think they have a heap of value though.

They don't have to be traded we have heaps of cap room to fit them all in and we have the picks to do deals without them.

But yes guys like knevitt and clohesy might look for more gametime elsewhere.
I don't think Bowes would have much interest with other clubs and I think Clark will stay but time will tell.

I hate Geelong but who are they paying? They should have cap space, none of them are large earners other than Cameron and maybe Stewart?

Cap goes up what another $2m? Should easily fit things in on paper

Correct.
Apart from Stewart and Cameron plus stengle (who has signed) most of our players don't command high $ as they are either vets near the end or younger kids that aren't proven yet. We had more cap pressure when we had better 24-28yos than we do now.

He has barely had a chance to shop himself around yet. Might have a few other clubs to meet still.

There is a reason he hasn’t formally requested a trade to Cats and that’s likely because he doubts they have the capital to get it done.

Clayton won't cost much capital.

Why hasn’t he requested a trade if so?

Surely he knows with the current capital available it won’t get done, so he is waiting to see how pieces get moved for it to be feasible.

If it were a third rounder with Dees taking the cap expense like Geelong fans think it will be, you would think it would be done quickly and a request would already be made.

Why hasn’t he requested a trade if so?

Surely he knows with the current capital available it won’t get done.

Because trade week hasn't even started yet. Why in the world does he need to request a trade today.

Because trade week hasn't even started yet. Why in the world does he need to request a trade today.

16 players + already have.

Sooner he does it the sooner formal talks can commence. Obviously his management team have doubts on feasibility due to Geelongs capital to get it done which they are trying to work through before publicly requesting.

16 players + already have.

Sooner he does it the sooner formal talks can commence. Obviously his management team have doubts on feasibility due to Geelongs capital to get it done which they are trying to work through before publicly requesting.

He only met Geelong on Tuesday and trade week goes for nearly 2 weeks.
There's no rush to request anything today-and no doubt Connors will want to talk to the afl about contract rules etc before they decide. It's about the contract not Geelong capital.

Obviously not knowing the details, id assume if Geelong are taking a punt theres a reasonable chance that he can get back to close to his best.

I have my doubts.
I think 2024 is the formline anyone can hope to expect and for Geelong, that would match anything we currently get from Dangerfield, Bowes, Holmes and alike.

This is the price you pay for not dropping away and acquiring high draft picks.

They don't have to be traded we have heaps of cap room to fit them all in and we have the picks to do deals without them.

But yes guys like knevitt and clohesy might look for more gametime elsewhere.
I don't think Bowes would have much interest with other clubs and I think Clark will stay but time will tell.

Was more a reference that you don't have the draft capital so need to look at player capital to get the trade done (unless things are that bad with Oliver, and you should reconsider doing the trade anyway).

Although I am sure some of those players now would be thinking about where they can go to actually play AFL.

He only met Geelong on Tuesday and trade week goes for nearly 2 weeks.
There's no rush to request anything today-and no doubt Connors will want to talk to the afl about contract rules etc before they decide. It's about the contract not Geelong capital.

It would be because they need to find an avenue for it to actually happen as one currently doesn’t exist.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Obviously not knowing the details, id assume if Geelong are taking a punt theres a reasonable chance that he can get back to close to his best.

If not worth 1.1-1.3mil per year, whats he worth? 900k? Perryman is on 850k remember.
What are Geelong going to pay? If theyre taking Oliver on and paying him the 900k for example then theyre not getting a salary dump, thats just trading normally for a 900k a year player, what Melbourne still pays is irrelevant

Hes a player worth what hes worth at that point, a normal trade. A top 10 pick id expect if I was Melbourne.
If Geelong paid the full 1.3mil then sure, get a discount, their pick 15 might do it in that case.

People take way too much stock of this salary dump stuff
Yeah but Geelong have them over an absolute barrel and Geelong love having the whip hand on trades.

He is clearly not going back there so they are going to take full advantage.

I have my doubts.
I think 2024 is the formline anyone can hope to expect and for Geelong, that would match anything we currently get from Dangerfield, Bowes, Holmes and alike.

This is the price you pay for not dropping away and acquiring high draft picks.
Id have the 2024 form line as the worst case scenario outside the usual potential injuries that come with every single player.

I guarantee Geelong arent expecting a repeat of 2024

Yeah but Geelong have them over an absolute barrel and Geelong love having the whip hand on trades.

He is clearly not going back there so they are going to take full advantage.
Yes, thats what theyre trying to do. If I was Melbourne in that situation id tell them to piss off and id just persist with Oliver, even if he didnt play a game theres an element of pride involved.
The club cant afford to lose what was their best player for significant unders and then have him go and win multiple BnFs and potentially a brownlow at a new club.

Why is that?

You could easily argue that last season was an aberration and with a full preseason, Oliver will be back to being an AA calibre midfielder.

The only way Geelong get him for peanuts (early 2nd rounder) will be if they pay a sizeable chunk of his contract.

On ability you would think so, but if it's true Melbourne is pushing him out they will trade him for peanuts.
I dont see why they would.

Yes, thats what theyre trying to do. If I was Melbourne in that situation id tell them to piss off and id just persist with Oliver, even if he didnt play a game theres an element of pride involved.
The club cant afford to lose what was their best player for significant unders and then have him go and win multiple BnFs and potentially a brownlow at a new club.

I am sure Geelong will restructure his contract and add behaviour clauses as well.. The amount we pay will also determine the compensation Melbourne receives..
If you are paying him 900k-odd that hes worth with Melbourne paying the 400kish thats owed on top, then youre essentially just trading for a guy who is worth 900k.
Thats top 10 pick worthy basically.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Clayton Oliver [UFA 2030]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back