Speculation Clayton Oliver [UFA 2030]

Remove this Banner Ad

Sure and I would fully agree the absolute best thing is to keep him and hope he figures it out because currently there is no value in trading him unless:
A) He's a locker room cancer
B) The club wants to spend the money elsewhere
C) Trac said he needs to go

If he's traded this year it will be for nothing because tha contract is currently (value can be rehabbing, or lost further...) an albatross and the worst in the AFL...

Our Hopper deal is a pretty shit contract, but I agree, it's just for too long and too much money with a bit of a loose canon.

The contract runs to 2030.

What looks poor today may seem inspired tomorrow.

Try not to live in a bubble.
Great call Trav how smart did Richmond end up being recruiting Brownlow medalist and 6 x AA Ben Cousins clearly off field issues were overblown if only West Coast had him contracted another 6 years

Yes, I'm sure they just rolled the dice and gave it zero thought.

Have you heard of the word ''sarcasm'' ?
Exactly teams never make mistakes on the amount they pay a player to the point where they’re forced to take way unders for them Adam Treloar was worth a pick in the 30s as was Brodie Grundy

Clearly Oliver had a shocking offseason. Was also rushed in ahead of time. Then had finger knee and rib issues during the year. I’d say a strong pre season and he’s going to be getting close to his best. Not sure he’ll get back there. But the contract would be a huge risk for other teams to take on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Essendon should just take the risk IMO. He is what they need and if it pays of it'll look inspired. They surely have an enormous amount of cap space.

I think people also underestimate the risk to Melbourne of keeping such a large contract on its books for the foreseeable future. If they can get a deal, I'd pull the trigger. So Dees should be keen.

Last edited:
Essendon should just take the risk IMO. He is what they need and if it pays of it'll look inspired. They surely have an enormous amount of cap space.

I think people also underestimate the risk to Melbourne of keeping such a large contract on its books for the foreseeable future. If they can get a deal, I'd pull the trigger. So Dees should be keen.

I doubt he wants to go there and do they have the culture to handle him?

I doubt he wants to go there and do they have the culture to handle him?

My view is that Sydney and Geelong are the only cultures in the league that could handle him. And even then are you worried about Geelong's culture going forward with the list being turned over? The Selwoods, Hawkins and Dangerfield types are either gone or one foot out the door.

My view is that Sydney and Geelong are the only cultures in the league that could handle him. And even then are you worried about Geelong's culture going forward with the list being turned over? The Selwoods, Hawkins and Dangerfield types are either gone or one foot out the door.
I can’t remember who said it but was on radio today either SEN or Trade Radio. They said Geelong give their players a bit of freedom. See Stengle. I mean the bloke was passed out and apparently unresponsive in a club. Played the week. No one barely batted an eyelid. Doubt Clarry gets that level of freedom. If he was out and that happened the media would be all over him.

Knew I would get some comedy gold opening this thread and let me tell you, I am not disappointed. Thanks all.

Bloke is going nowhere. Evidence: See his socials from this evening.

I think there's definitely an element of risk there but also mist of the Geelong kids doubt seem like the kind to get led astray. I'm not particularly worried about the younger ones though Stengle might be one that could do without the influence

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Clayton Oliver [UFA 2030]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back