Speculation Clayton Oliver [UFA 2030]

Remove this Banner Ad

R3 is taking the piss a bit, unless Geelong are taking on the entire contract which I find very unlikely.

I do agree it depends on the contract (which I doubt the clubs disclose) but I wouldn't want to pay anything in the top 30 unless melb are paying a lot of his wages (more than pies are with Grundy). If we are paying 80 % of the wage or more (the contract is a big risk) then od suggest he's worth a pick in the 40s or 50s on that scenario. Realistically the benefit for melb is getting rid of the contract and the new club is taking all the risk.

Jeremy Cameron = 1 first round pick + 2 future first round picks. (receive 2 future second)

Cameron = 9 seasons into career, immaculate history off field, restricted free agent
Oliver = 9 seasons into career, chequered history off field, club obligated to pay for six years at over $1million.

Compare the pair, and get back to me.

True but u left out the response from GFC regarding the ask part...
Yep for a straight swap for JUH.
Then there was silence from the kennel... not even a bark. LOL.
Source on JUH?

We asked about SDK as part of a Smith deal

Would only be a club like West Coast, Crows, North or Stkilda with $ to burn in their cap that would entertain the move.. Seems like Melb would just be happy to salary dump his contract and would let him go for a packet of minties.

For Clarry getting out of Vic could be a good move, he is from country vic so no real ties to Melbourne.. If I was his manager I would be trying to get him to Adelaide, who really need a big name signing to get out from under the shadow of Port, and are no doubt embarrassed that Lukosious picked Port in front of them.

As far as trade value, a second rounder would have to be the Max, and by second rounder, that's Melbourne giving whoever he goes to for taking him.
That contract is massive, and not one club is taking the lot of it.
The contract is big but with the salary cap increasing it’s not ridiculous, the poorer clubs need to pay someone or end up paying a heap of bung average players like GC overs which causes other issues.

Melbourne cant give him up for less than a top 10 pick surely, even with the new club taking the whole contract.
Hes one of the top few players in the comp and clearly his issues this year were largely due to a lack of a pre-season
It’s all relative, what if the 1mil released from their salary cap enables them to go hard at a free agent key forward next year.

Collingwood is the perfect model, effectively gave away Grundy and Trelor yet won a flag 2 years later.

Why would Dees sell him at a low at bargain basement price?

We are better keeping him for 12 months to see if he rebounds off the back of his injuries. Every chance he does.

We don’t need cap space and if he has another poor year clubs will still be after him based on the last 12 months or so as he has demonstrated he can be one of the best in the league.
Why? Trac says so. Melbourne are now hitting rebuild territory, and the last thing you want is to have two guys on over a million for the next 6 years. There is a culture problem at your club, and Trac has pointed the finger at Oliver and the club letting him get away with murder.
Trust me, if Melbourne could get him out they would.

Melbourne cant give him up for less than a top 10 pick surely, even with the new club taking the whole contract.
Hes one of the top few players in the comp and clearly his issues this year were largely due to a lack of a pre-season
No club is giving a top 10 pick for him and his 10 million dollar contract. He has form issues, health issues, and character issues.

That contract is the killer. It's been a disaster of a list management decision.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The contract is big but with the salary cap increasing it’s not ridiculous, the poorer clubs need to pay someone or end up paying a heap of bung average players like GC overs which causes other issues.
Word is its worth 10 million for the rest of it.
As for GC, they are a destination club now. Brisbane went from the basement to the ceiling all on being a destination club. They turned it around from the days of everyone leaving. They got Cameron, Daniher and Neale for starters.

I'm talking in terms of draft picks. I don't particularly care, or know anything about your salary cap
Oh... What are they giving us??
i'd hope for this years first. That will do me.
If not next years first will do.
Salary dumping isn't a cheap exercise anymore.
Like money laundering, there are costs involved.

if Melbourne is pushing him out, which is what it looks like, whoever ends up trading for him will likely need to take on most, if not all of his salary. If thats the case I can't see Melbourne getting much in return for him. He could quite possibly get back to his elite form and look like a steal, but he could equally continue his 2024 form and ruin the future of the club that picks him up.

It's a risky move.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Clayton Oliver [UFA 2030]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back