Speculation Clayton Oliver [UFA 2030]

Remove this Banner Ad

That's true if the afl would sign off on it. I bet whatever contract gets lodged (if it goes through) we never really will be told exactly what specific amounts each club is paying.
Journos make an educated guess that’s for sure. I don’t see why the AFL wouldn’t sign off on a percentage rather than a figure. Also I don’t think many players are willing to accept a massive pay cut. We’re possibly talking a 300k pay cut or something along those lines.

Dees should be moving him on and ideally not pay any salary, take unders if you need to but just make a clean cut. Goodwin will probably get the arse next year and maybe Petracca gets his wish to go. Staring down the barrel of a hard rebuild with compromised drafts coming up. They have squandered what could have been a golden era for the club.

Fairly certain any Richmond rebuild will be 10x as bad following the North strategy you blokes are doing selling all your experience.

Will be North 2.0 with a decade on the bottom.

What players do Geelong have that the Dees would want? O Sullivan? SDK? Humphries?

Reports stating like it will be f1 and a player. Shame you blokes delisted Parfitt as he would’ve probably fit the bill.

Journos make an educated guess that’s for sure. I don’t see why the AFL wouldn’t sign off on a percentage rather than a figure. Also I don’t think many players are willing to accept a massive pay cut. We’re possibly talking a 300k pay cut or something along those lines.

I agree.
I don't think Geelong will pay him 1.3 (if that's what he's really on)
I don't think he will sacrifice 300k per year
And I'm not sure how much melb would pay
So this is where the complications will be more than whether melb are willing to trade (they clearly are or he wouldn't be meeting with geelong).
We know Grundy is on a contract where 2 clubs are paying him-i assume the afl would allow the same if its a % rather than $ figure as its not that much different.

What players do Geelong have that the Dees would want? O Sullivan? SDK? Humphries?

Reports stating like it will be f1 and a player. Shame you blokes delisted Parfitt as he would’ve probably fit the bill.

Sdk won't go this year (next year might be a different story). And humphries and O'Sullivan would be as close to untouchable as you can get.
You might see the likes of more fringe guys like knevitt and clohesy move around.
I think we delisted parfitt to make it easy for him to find a home as a DFA.

Sdk won't go this year (next year might be a different story). And humphries and O'Sullivan would be as close to untouchable as you can get.
You might see the likes of more fringe guys like knevitt and clohesy move around.
I think we delisted parfitt to make it easy for him to find a home as a DFA.

Someone gets pushed out with Martin/Smith and Oliver

I think you’re going to be very disappointed in what Geelong will be willing to pay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do the dees go full rebuild without Clarry or still try to topup with mature players to go for a finals push again?
If they commit to a rebuild then surely Jhye Clark is on the table

Oliver for Clark + a pick?

Bowes, Clark and Bruhn still going to be getting a run in the guts behind Danger, Oliver, Smith, Holmes, Atkins

Clark will (once he builds his tank which he needs to) as he's highly rated and it will actually probably help bruhn not be buffeted as much.
Bowes is an interesting one as he may end up in defence (he's versatile there) or vfl but that's okay.
It could put pressure on Atkins but he's almost 30 and a role player anyway your Atkins types are exactly the ones you want to upgrade and phase out to contend.

Holmes I think will benefit from having more inside mids to get the ball to him as his metres gained will become more dangerous.

I'd back Oliver to be a perennial AA squad contender for at least the next 3 years. This season was likely an aberration for him with his limited preseason; give him a clean run at it and he should be right.

Geelong's future 1st should be okay. If Melbourne are willing to stomach a sizeable chunk of his contract, I'd say he is worth closer to a pick in the 10's.

Someone gets pushed out with Martin/Smith and Oliver
We'll have Blicavs, Bews, Dangerfield, Duncan and Guthrie (although he's been injured anyway) leaving in the next year or two - almost certainly all of them will be managed throughout the year even if they're best 22, so there'll be opportunities for others to come through.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Clayton Oliver [UFA 2030]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back