Speculation Clayton Oliver [UFA 2030]

Remove this Banner Ad

Melb trying to get some leverage back on the situation, but have given themselves a black eye in the process. more to play out yet next few weeks.

I honestly wonder if the the AFL will stick their nose in here:

* Melbourne cry to the AFL that they've made a horrible mistake saddling themselves with a massive contract for a player who has suffering from [Lifestyle Choices].

* Geelong cry to the AFL that they want to do the right thing by a player suffering from [Lifestyle Choices] but another club has made it impossible due to their ridiculous contract

* AFL wants to hush up all discussion on [Lifestyle Choices] so uses some secret herbs and spices formula to pay out part of Oliver's contract themselves, or re-negotiate most of it into AFL Ambassador payments or some shit.

Lets both clubs off the hook and shuts down any nasty narratives for the AFL.
I agree mainly with what you say about the stupid contract but You know very little about mental illness and life style choices. The mental illness leads to the life style choices not Vica versa.

Hearing Cats offered a 3rd Rounder + 50% retention to the Dees.

Dee's want a 2nd rounder + 50% retention.

Expect the deal to be done in the 2nd week of the trade period.
2nd rounder and 50% retention? Surely every Vic club is knocking on the door for that price.

2nd rounder and 50% retention? Surely every Vic club is knocking on the door for that price.

Nah most wouldn't want the risk as 6 years is a long time with him. I also expect melb are demanding more than that which is why other clubs won't meet the price.

yeah. and he could be the best player in the game again. Oliver was a standard setter with his training standards for many years. Clearly he's gone off the rails. So the question is all risk v return.

You're picking up Bailey Smith who you'll give up pick 15 for. Bailey Smith is coming off an acl, mental health issues and known drug issues. So with Pick 15 in mind for a guy with this level of risk (I would say more risk) then Oliver (who is twice the player) is worth much much more.

I find it funny how cats fans try to diminish the risk of Smith and overplay the risk of Oliver.

If you're going to acknowledge risk then the same needs to be applied to Bailey Smith. And we know the dogs aren't even happy with pick 15 for Smith. So why would the dees be happy with less than that for Oliver.
Comparing Oliver's issues to Smith's is like saying Petracca and Alex Johnson have comparable injury troubles

Hearing Cats offered a 3rd Rounder + 50% retention to the Dees.

Dee's want a 2nd rounder + 50% retention.

Expect the deal to be done in the 2nd week of the trade period.
That would be an awful deal for the Dees, right up there with pick 2 for Weller or the Bowes deal for worst in recent history, its probably worse than those two tbh

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a general rule I don't bother with people who finish with 'lol', but:

- what you've done twice is 'secretly' shopping him around and then claiming you didn't and then admitting you did and then saying "we love clarry" and then when that doesn't work act like he's betrayed you

- trade period hasn't even started

- 'compensation' is what you get during the free agency period

- and another thing you've done twice: announce an external-not-external review:
Review 1: Brad Green - board member and club president - is conducting a review into the board and the presidency.
Review 2: CEO Gary Pert AND Brad Green are leading the review, presumably into themselves, of the football department. Oh yes, they've included "an outsider" in appointing Darren Shand. The problem? He's PART OF THE FRICKING PROGRAM HIMSELF because he spent time at the club in 2024.

There is only one word for this sort of self-induced lunacy:

lol
a) I've done nothing. Gary Pert has.
b) No. 'compensation' by definition also applies to receiving draft picks in response to an top line player wanting to leave.
c) I don't think any of these people would be unwilling to fall on their sword. Roffey already did and Brad Green has already called for his role as president to be reviewed before he even took the job.

melbourne are a laughing stock the way this has played out- the deal is dead simply for the fact the club has been adamant in the past 24 hours that he won’t be traded, if they were to flip flop on this I’d expect the club to be burnt to the ground by the media and members. This one’s dead.

If Melbourne could get decent compo then I think members could accept it. But if we’re talking F2 and 50% of his wage then that’s a different story.
I think Pert went to clubs such as saints and bombers who he thought might need/want Oliver. Plus be able to satisfy the dees in a trade. No one took the bait and cats caught wind. Tried to lowball and now it’s a huge mess. Bye bye Perty.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Clayton Oliver [UFA 2030]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back