Speculation Clayton Oliver [UFA 2030]

Remove this Banner Ad

Only a few weeks to go, then we bring the boy home!

Got no doubt Geelong will have a real crack still, although I think you'll need to up your offer (I'm not saying I personally think he is worth way more, but clearly my club does).

If Geelong can somehow get another late 1st somewhere and flip that I'd suggest we'd do that deal, although Geelong probably don't.

Got no doubt Geelong will have a real crack still, although I think you'll need to up your offer (I'm not saying I personally think he is worth way more, but clearly my club does).

If Geelong can somehow get another late 1st somewhere and flip that I'd suggest we'd do that deal, although Geelong probably don't.

TBH I have no idea what the price would be, but in my opinion it's worth the risk for the Cats.

I've thought for a while that this is all rests on just how 'nuclear' Oliver is willing to go - and if Connors and co. aren't happy about their client being repeatedly shopped around. If he says he wants out officially/articles start leaking saying Oliver isn't happy/management group think he needs a fresh start for his mental health/best footy, then I can see this thing being on again. It's the only way Green and co. can save face.

If he's not bothered enough to go through that effort, then Melbourne will think they can rightfully turn it around again - as Oliver isn't agitated enough to really push for a trade. In that case, I reckon Pert is out the door.

In all honesty, by the end of this trade period, I see one of Oliver or Pert leaving - neither can co-exist after the shit he pulled.

I've thought for a while that this is all rests on just how 'nuclear' Oliver is willing to go - and if Connors and co. aren't happy about their client being repeatedly shopped around. If he says he wants out officially/articles start leaking saying Oliver isn't happy/management group think he needs a fresh start for his mental health/best footy, then I can see this thing being on again. It's the only way Green and co. can save face.

If he's not bothered enough to go through that effort, then Melbourne will think they can rightfully turn it around again - as Oliver isn't agitated enough to really push for a trade. In that case, I reckon Pert is out the door.

In all honesty, by the end of this trade period, I see one of Oliver or Pert leaving - neither can co-exist after the shit he pulled.
I gather Oliver now want to go to the Cats but Green doesn't want him to go.

Not much alignment at the Dees...

lol I posted basically the same thing on our board, our club has an easy out to save face if Oliver comes out and really pushes that he needs it. I reckon Pert is a lock to be gone, as for Oliver I've got no idea.

melbourne are a laughing stock the way this has played out- the deal is dead simply for the fact the club has been adamant in the past 24 hours that he won’t be traded, if they were to flip flop on this I’d expect the club to be burnt to the ground by the media and members. This one’s dead.
how so? we would be a laughing stock if we traded Oliver for way under his worth. Now you're saying we're a laughing stock for keeping him.

You're having a hedge each way :)

Maybe but I also think that him coming on Geelong's conditions or not at all isn't about the trade cost. It has to be last chance saloon for him or Geelong won't have the leverage to drive a behavioural change. His only option to stay in football needs to go through his club, whichever club that is.

Probably runs both ways too, which means Pert has snookered himself because now staying is the clubs choice not his. It'll make setting expectations hard. They need of make a call now regarding whether they think they can handle this.

I would say Geelong now think that this mess is Melbourne's problem to solve, and the only condition on which he can come is him being pushed out. So even if they really really want him i think their response is to not call Melbourne and let Melbourne call them. If they don't call its because a trade wasn't going to work anyway.

lol I posted basically the same thing on our board, our club has an easy out to save face if Oliver comes out and really pushes that he needs it. I reckon Pert is a lock to be gone, as for Oliver I've got no idea.

Blaming Spider-Man GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

huh? Pulled what?

Really odd post. Keeping a guy to his contract? Yeah, imagine keeping one of the best ever demons players because we won't accept trash compensation lol.

As a general rule I don't bother with people who finish with 'lol', but:

- what you've done twice is 'secretly' shopping him around and then claiming you didn't and then admitting you did and then saying "we love clarry" and then when that doesn't work act like he's betrayed you

- trade period hasn't even started

- 'compensation' is what you get during the free agency period

- and another thing you've done twice: announce an external-not-external review:
Review 1: Brad Green - board member and club president - is conducting a review into the board and the presidency.
Review 2: CEO Gary Pert AND Brad Green are leading the review, presumably into themselves, of the football department. Oh yes, they've included "an outsider" in appointing Darren Shand. The problem? He's PART OF THE FRICKING PROGRAM HIMSELF because he spent time at the club in 2024.

There is only one word for this sort of self-induced lunacy:

lol

Take it from here Joe....

Unlikely given he is their #2 target after Smith.
Yeah I said that on our board that Geelong have a bit of work to do on the Smith deal. So expect if the Oliver deal gets done it will be late. May also mean Geelong needs to offload a player to get both done. Which I’m doubting they’ll do.

So what do we think the actual offer from Geelong was that Melbourne deemed "nowhere near fair value" according to Edmund?

My guess is it was a future 2nd and Melbourne still playing $500k of his salary. Not surprisingly Melbourne are trying to put the toothpaste back in the tube and play happy families if that's the only offer.

The ball is now in Oliver's court. Suck it up and stay or make it known you want to be gone from Melbourne. Oliver stamps his feet enough and he'll be gone before the end of trade period for whatever they can get.

Personally I hope he stays at Melbourne. Even for a F2 and only paying $600-700k I think it would be a mistake. There's a high likelihood he never plays another high quality AFL game I reckon.

So what do we think the actual offer from Geelong was that Melbourne deemed "nowhere near fair value" according to Edmund?

My guess is it was a future 2nd and Melbourne still playing $500k of his salary. Not surprisingly Melbourne are trying to put the toothpaste back in the tube and play happy families if that's the only offer.

The ball is now in Oliver's court. Suck it up and stay or make it known you want to be gone from Melbourne. Oliver stamps his feet enough and he'll be gone before the end of trade period for whatever they can get.

Personally I hope he stays at Melbourne. Even for a F2 and only paying $600-700k I think it would be a mistake. There's a high likelihood he never plays another high quality AFL game I reckon.
I think it was so early we probably wouldn't have got to the point of actually making one. Melbourne just knew what it was likely to be

I think it was so early we probably wouldn't have got to the point of actually making one. Melbourne just knew what it was likely to be

Nah there'd be an offer on the table they could accept right now.

But it's clearly miles off what Melbourne would consider. All the "future first and a sweetener" was leaked to Morris by Melbourne basically signalling where they would consider a deal.

Since Geelong became the destination it's been "he's staying" not "Geelong need to come to the table if they're serious" or anything like that. You can take from that the offer is miles off what Melbourne were thinking and it only happens if him staying becomes completely untenable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Clayton Oliver [UFA 2030]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back