Speculation Clayton Oliver [UFA 2030]

Remove this Banner Ad

A lot can happen between now and then, but it's more unlikely than likely.
Could also be a ploy to talk down Oliver's worth given, Mackie very smart.
I think the reality is that a trade wasn't only ever possible if MFC was kicking him out and there was no walking it back. The ball has never been in geelong's court on this one and won't ever be.

Tim Lamb definitively saying the below, along with Mack's comments - means this one is done. Hope for Oliver's sake he turns it around and he's not pushed for a 3rd time next year, but in 2024, that's all she wrote for the Oliver talk:

Q: Is there any chance Clayton Oliver is playing for another club in 2025?
A: Melbourne list boss Tim Lamb: No.

The only way this gets done is if Trac issues an ultimatum and that doesn't sound like it's happening.

Tim Lamb definitively saying the below, along with Mack's comments - means this one is done. Hope for Oliver's sake he turns it around and he's not pushed for a 3rd time next year, but in 2024, that's all she wrote for the Oliver talk:

Q: Is there any chance Clayton Oliver is playing for another club in 2025?
A: Melbourne list boss Tim Lamb: No.

Geelong put the ball in Melbourne’s court and this looks like the Dees putting it into touch.

Won’t be happening.

/Thread.

Mackie just said on TR this trade isn't happening.
Wouldn’t be the first time a list manager says something isn’t happening & it does. Still waiting for Peter Bell to tell us what’s not happening so we know it is happening. I know he isn’t the footy boss there anymore but they could roll him out for old times sake.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yeah, no.

This was never going to happen. People getting sucked into mainstream media stories again. Just like they did with Kozzie. Just like they did with Petracca. All 3 are staying.
No, your club is run by morons, i didn't account for how terrible they are

yeah, no.

This was never going to happen. People getting sucked into mainstream media stories again. Just like they did with Kozzie. Just like they did with Petracca. All 3 are staying.

So the below never happened:

• Gary pert phoning another club to gauge interest on Oliver, for a second year running
  • Manager and Oliver contacting Geelong
  • Geelong organising two meetings with Oliver
  • Oliver coming away from meeting 'happy' and 'excited to play with Geelong', after meeting with Stanley and Stewart
  • Oliver liking an Instagram post that suggests the idea of himself, Smith and Martin all playing together in 2025
  • Melbourne stating 'he's not leaving, as suitable trade was not offered'

Given there's literal quotes, articles, and direct links to all of the above - confirmed by both Melbourne and Geelong representatives, Tim Lamb would be proud of this rewriting of history you just undertook.

So the below never happened:

• Gary pert phoning another club to gauge interest on Oliver, for a second year running
  • Manager and Oliver contacting Geelong
  • Geelong organising two meetings with Oliver
  • Oliver coming away from meeting 'happy' and 'excited to play with Geelong', after meeting with Stanley and Stewart
  • Oliver liking an Instagram post that suggests the idea of himself, Smith and Martin all playing together in 2025
  • Melbourne stating 'he's not leaving, as suitable trade was not offered'

Given there's literal quotes, articles, and direct links to all of the above - confirmed by both Melbourne and Geelong representatives, Tim Lamb would be proud of this rewriting of history you just undertook.
And all of that is trumped by the fact that he is in contract so Melbourne wouldn't trade him for unders. Geelong only had a F1 which wouldn't get it done clearly.

correct, you were wrong.

The only moronic thing is thinking that trading a 4 x bnf, 2 x coaches votes winner for well unders after 1 average season is the right thing to do.
I didn't say it was the right thing to do but your club is currently a dumpster fire and you're wasting your time in here backing them up or trying to pretend some things didnt happen. You do you though.

And all of that is trumped by the fact that he is in contract so Melbourne wouldn't trade him for unders. Geelong only had a F1 which wouldn't get it done clearly.

That's not what you said. You said 'people believing mainstream media stories again, when he was never going to be traded.' But now you've said 'it's all trumped by the fact he's in contract and Geelong's offer wasn't good enough.' So the media stories were true, it wasn't 'nothing to see here', and it was Melbourne who backtracked and never should have put him on the table in the first place.

Had we offered what was perceived as 'enough', then Oliver would be a Geelong player. It's not like it was never a possibility. The valuations just widely differed. Was definitely a story though, and there was definitely a chance it could have happened.

The whole thing and your management, board, coaches etc. it's all a complete dumpster fire.

I didn't say it was the right thing to do but your club is currently a dumpster fire and you're wasting your time in here backing them up or trying to pretend some things didnt happen. You do you though.
You said Oliver was going. He is staying. So you were wrong. I don't mind if you deflect and talk about the state of the mfc, I don't disagree with that stuff.

That's not what you said. You said 'people believing mainstream media stories again, when he was never going to be traded.' But now you've said 'it's all trumped by the fact he's in contract and Geelong's offer wasn't good enough.' So the media stories were true, it wasn't 'nothing to see here', and it was Melbourne who backtracked and never should have put him on the table in the first place.

Had we offered what was perceived as 'enough', then Oliver would be a Geelong player. It's not like it was never a possibility. The valuations just widely differed. Was definitely a story though, and there was definitely a chance it could have happened.

The whole thing and your management, board, coaches etc. it's all a complete dumpster fire.
There's a huge difference between the media being true ie. that he caught up with Tom Stewart on a farm etc. and Melbourne actually trading Oliver for significant unders. I'm saying people, like yourself, weren't able to sum up all of the info that the media were spoon feeding you and weigh it against the actual likelihood of a trade actually getting done.

You didn't have the draft capital to give what was perceived as 'enough'. You looked at it from Geelong's perspective. Not from ours. Worst case scenario, Oliver repeats his poor form this year (all relative of course) then he probably is worth a F1 next trade period anyway. Best case scenario, he gets himself into shape and returns to being the best player in the game (according to the 18 coaches) and his worth becomes 2 early firsts. Now that likelihood is arguably remote but from our perspective there is no need to trade now. Especially with the future picks rules being changed next season.

I'm not saying Oliver won't leave, but not this year.

There's a huge difference between the media being true ie. that he caught up with Tom Stewart on a farm etc. and Melbourne actually trading Oliver for significant unders. I'm saying people, like yourself, weren't able to sum up all of the info that the media were spoon feeding you and weigh it against the actual likelihood of a trade actually getting done.

You didn't have the draft capital to give what was perceived as 'enough'. You looked at it from Geelong's perspective. Not from ours. Worst case scenario, Oliver repeats his poor form this year (all relative of course) then he probably is worth a F1 next trade period anyway. Best case scenario, he gets himself into shape and returns to being the best player in the game (according to the 18 coaches) and his worth becomes 2 early firsts. Now that likelihood is arguably remote but from our perspective there is no need to trade now. Especially with the future picks rules being changed next season.

I'm not saying Oliver won't leave, but not this year.

Lol, I was one of the ones who didn't expect a trade to be done easily...so swing and a miss. I imagined it would take a Future 1st, him taking a salary cut, and Melbourne paying minimal to zero of his contract. All of these things coming together made it very tough for something to happen.

That's fine that that's your perspective, but the fact remains, that Lamb is lying through his teeth, the board and leaders are not acknowledging just how bad things are, and there is a real chance that both Petracca and Oliver are gone this time next year - along with Pickett returning home.

We'll see how it plays out, but it's straight up idiotic to dangle a player and then expect maximum return once you do. He's already considering leaving by speaking to another club. You've already tried two years in a row to 'fix' things...and each time we've ended up with him being 'dangled' again. 3rd time is the charm I guess, but I imagine we'll be speaking about this again in 12 months...if not with Geelong, then another club.

Lol, I was one of the ones who didn't expect a trade to be done easily...so swing and a miss. I imagined it would take a Future 1st, him taking a salary cut, and Melbourne paying minimal to zero of his contract. All of these things coming together made it very tough for something to happen.

That's fine that that's your perspective, but the fact remains, that Lamb is lying through his teeth, the board and leaders are not acknowledging just how bad things are, and there is a real chance that both Petracca and Oliver are gone this time next year - along with Pickett returning home.

We'll see how it plays out, but it's straight up idiotic to dangle a player and then expect maximum return once you do. He's already considering leaving by speaking to another club. You've already tried two years in a row to 'fix' things...and each time we've ended up with him being 'dangled' again. 3rd time is the charm I guess, but I imagine we'll be speaking about this again in 12 months...if not with Geelong, then another club.
I hear ya. But what can Tim Lamb say ? 'we want Oliver gone because he's terrible for our culture but after fishing him around, we discovered that other teams didn't have trade capital'. It's an impossible position to be in because if a trade doesn't go through, we have to keep Oliver happy. And we've all seen with Petracca what can happen when a club doesn't make a player feel warm and fuzzy.

I do agree that Tim Lamb didn't interview as confidently as I wanted to but he's not a president or public speaking time. He's a trade and list management guy so I cut him some slack.

I do agree that Petracca and Oliver could go next year, and maybe Kozzie but the trade capital of Kozzie would be more than both of them as he's only 23 years old. So it'd be 2 firsts for Kozzie, 2 firsts for Petracca and 1 first for Oliver assuming things don't turn around. Pickett is so highly rated internally that I think he'd be so hard for the club to let go of without playing real hardball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Clayton Oliver [UFA 2030]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back