Speculation Clayton Oliver [UFA 2030]

Remove this Banner Ad

I hear ya. But what can Tim Lamb say ? 'we want Oliver gone because he's terrible for our culture but after fishing him around, we discovered that other teams didn't have trade capital'. It's an impossible position to be in because if a trade doesn't go through, we have to keep Oliver happy. And we've all seen with Petracca what can happen when a club doesn't make a player feel warm and fuzzy.

I do agree that Tim Lamb didn't interview as confidently as I wanted to but he's not a president or public speaking time. He's a trade and list management guy so I cut him some slack.

I do agree that Petracca and Oliver could go next year, and maybe Kozzie but the trade capital of Kozzie would be more than both of them as he's only 23 years old. So it'd be 2 firsts for Kozzie, 2 firsts for Petracca and 1 first for Oliver assuming things don't turn around. Pickett is so highly rated internally that I think he'd be so hard for the club to let go of without playing real hardball.

I think my main qualm here is, why not just cut the cord now and accept that players want out - and you need to move in to the next stage?

Gawn has maybe 1 or 2 good years left. Petracca may never be the same player again. Kozzie could phone it in next year, as could Oliver. You're never going to get a higher return on all 3, then you are right now. This is apparently a 'super draft' and if you traded at least Petracca and Oliver, you'd offload over 2 MIL of cap space, along with getting 3 first rounders in.

Just seems like people protecting their own jobs and being extremely narcissistic, rather than considering their own shortcomings/as a club, and trying to do better as a whole.

I didn't say it was the right thing to do but your club is currently a dumpster fire and you're wasting your time in here backing them up or trying to pretend some things didnt happen. You do you though.
How anyone can defend Melbourne as an organisation is beyond me.
We really need a Dan free zone.

How anyone can defend Melbourne as an organisation is beyond me.
We really need a Dan free zone.
The gaslighting from those in charge is nauseating. It just pisses me off how they are treating their supporters

I think my main qualm here is, why not just cut the cord now and accept that players want out - and you need to move in to the next stage?

Gawn has maybe 1 or 2 good years left. Petracca may never be the same player again. Kozzie could phone it in next year, as could Oliver. You're never going to get a higher return on all 3, then you are right now. This is apparently a 'super draft' and if you traded at least Petracca and Oliver, you'd offload over 2 MIL of cap space, along with getting 3 first rounders in.

Just seems like people protecting their own jobs and being extremely narcissistic, rather than considering their own shortcomings/as a club, and trying to do better as a whole.
It's definitely an argument but clubs simply had half the usual value. I wanted the club to trade petracca and Oliver. I still do. but not for less than what gws got for Harry Perryman.

I remember everyone saying 'melbourne are so dumb to have Grundy on their books. 1m for a backup ruck. He must go'. Then we trade him for cheap and flogs like Kane Cornes criticise us for trading him too cheaply. People are vocal now about not trading them but as soon as we do, everyone will laugh at us for trading them for cheap. Just like the Grundy situation.

I for one, hope we do trade Petracca and Oliver. Less so for Kozzie because he is simply too valuable and we're stuck in this culture where players get homesick despite living a 2 hour flight away. It's embarrassing. The NBA players don't get homesick, they pack up and go where they're told. The afl players are embarrassing in this regard. *yes, they get paid more but still.

And all of that is trumped by the fact that he is in contract so Melbourne wouldn't trade him for unders. Geelong only had a F1 which wouldn't get it done clearly.

And Geelong weren't offering a future 1st so Melbourne backed away.
Which is fine.
But everyone knows Oliver was offered for trade they just didn't like what they got offered.
Why lamb felt the need to lie so obviously on camera sums up where Melbourne is at.

Worst case scenario, Oliver repeats his poor form this year (all relative of course) then he probably is worth a F1 next trade period anyway.

The worst case scenario is clearly not just Oliver having another poor season, it's him going completely off the rails (again), fracturing relationships within the club, bringing your club into disrepute and lowering his trade value by the day.

There's a huge difference between the media being true ie. that he caught up with Tom Stewart on a farm etc. and Melbourne actually trading Oliver for significant unders. I'm saying people, like yourself, weren't able to sum up all of the info that the media were spoon feeding you and weigh it against the actual likelihood of a trade actually getting done.

You didn't have the draft capital to give what was perceived as 'enough'. You looked at it from Geelong's perspective. Not from ours. Worst case scenario, Oliver repeats his poor form this year (all relative of course) then he probably is worth a F1 next trade period anyway. Best case scenario, he gets himself into shape and returns to being the best player in the game (according to the 18 coaches) and his worth becomes 2 early firsts. Now that likelihood is arguably remote but from our perspective there is no need to trade now. Especially with the future picks rules being changed next season.

I'm not saying Oliver won't leave, but not this year.

I get your point but lamb didn't say we 'only offered him for trade at x price' he flat out said 'we did not offer him for trade at all'. Which is a flat out lie because they did clearly ring clubs and offer him for trade (for the price of a high round 1 in return).

huh? I hate the melbourne footy club's handling of many things. Can you maybe, I dunno, make a coherent explanation of what you wanted Melb to do with Oliver?
He obviously wanted Melbourne to trade Oliver to Geelong for peanuts. It's the Geelong right.

As a club we can’t just let players walk away and accept unders whilst paying part of their wage. It’s just not how it works unless like Collingwood a few years back when cap issues meant they had to offload players.
You realistically want overs for Trac. And Oliver is a situation. But it seems unlikely Geelong put up a decent offer.
I have no doubt despite what Lamb and Mackie have said that there were decent talks over Oliver. But I’d say Geelong were lowballing so we walked away at this stage.

Clubs won’t deal with a club in such disarray no matter the gold on offer

And yet said club was involved in the very first deal of this year's trade period.

More likely, no club is willing to meet the expectations of Melbourne in an exchange for Oliver.

huh? I hate the melbourne footy club's handling of many things. Can you maybe, I dunno, make a coherent explanation of what you wanted Melb to do with Oliver?

They wanted the MFC to captiulate.

You see, Geelong spent two days courting a player under contract, notwithstanding that Geelong don't have the capital to satisfy the Dees in the trade.

It is really a case of the Dees list management being unreasonable.

/s

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You see, Geelong spent two days courting a player under contract, notwithstanding that Geelong don't have the capital to satisfy the Dees in the trade.

/s
Geelong spend 18 months courting Bailey Smith while denying it.

Then wont pay up

/s
100% spot on.

If he got traded to Geelong come Round 1 next year if/when he gets his usual 30 touches, people would be criticising melbourne for trading him. Glad we held firm until we get serious offers.

What do you honestly expect him to say? word for word.

Either avoid answering the question at all (like most list managers do), or be honest and say 'we explored a trade and allowed Clayton to meet with Geelong but the deal offered wasn't appropriate for our needs so we won't be doing this trade' or equivalent thereof. Don't flat out lie on TV it looks like amateur hour.

/s
Oddly some Geelong supporters even wanted the AFLPA to intervene and influence the MFC to give Oliver away with a draft pick in the interest of mental health. Peculiar

I don't know what some people are upset at Geelong about here. They responded to a player and his manager seeking them out and as soon as they were told he's not being pushed out they said, "ok all the best then".
The 'G' word makes a lot of people see red these days. 😡

Either avoid answering the question at all (like most list managers do), or be honest and say 'we explored a trade and allowed Clayton to meet with Geelong but the deal offered wasn't appropriate for our needs so we won't be doing this trade' or equivalent thereof. Don't flat out lie on TV it looks like amateur hour.
Being a Geelong supporter you'd know about that

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Clayton Oliver [UFA 2030]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back