Speculation Clayton Oliver [UFA 2030]

Remove this Banner Ad

Said it for the past few days, it's up to Oliver what happens from here. He can renegotiate a new contract with us, still get 900K'ish, and just remove the percentage incentive for increase with the salary cap. He's apparently on 1.1 MIL as it stands, which will increase to 1.3-1.4 over the coming years. Accept that this was a ridiculous clause and forego it, get to where you want, and don't have Melb pay a thing, and take 1 first round pick from us with the entire contract gone.

It's literally a win for everyone, and can be spun well by all parties. It's really up to Gieschen and Oliver though if they were willing to pull that lever/publicly declare he wants to move to get the wheels in motion.

Said it for the past few days, it's up to Oliver what happens from here. He can renegotiate a new contract with us, still get 900K'ish, and just remove the percentage incentive for increase with the salary cap. He's apparently on 1.1 MIL as it stands, which will increase to 1.3-1.4 over the coming years. Accept that this was a ridiculous clause and forego it, get to where you want, and don't have Melb pay a thing, and take 1 first round pick from us with the entire contract gone.

It's literally a win for everyone, and can be spun well by all parties. It's really up to Gieschen and Oliver though if they were willing to pull that lever/publicly declare he wants to move to get the wheels in motion.
Sounds like a loss for Oliver to me…

Sounds like a loss for Oliver to me…

I'd say the gain for him is being able to get a fresh start, leave a club that doesn't want him, and still retain the majority of the money that you signed for - despite having two subpar seasons that didn't justify anywhere near the amount he's been getting paid.

All depends on how he sees it, but that's just my outsiders perspective that isn't worth a damn, haha.

Pretty simple solution for Oliver then if he's that desperate to get out:

Go to Melbourne, tell them to rip up his contract and trade him to Geelong.

He can negotiate a modest $500k contract with them and have performance incentives.

But he doesn't want to do that because he wants his guaranteed money.

What an absolute pisstake. Just retire already if it's that bad.
you're all over every post related to a player that wants to be at Geelong, the obsession is gross

you're all over every post related to a player that wants to be at Geelong, the obsession is gross
No, I just post on the D&T board across a range of threads.

Geelong isn't a special case.

Stop thinking so highly of yourselves.

In other words take this player off our hands ,leagues worst contract and all and give us close to his market value as player as if he has no off field issues and still in top physical condition…..

Ahhhh Yeaaaa ok Melbourne , sounds like the entire organisations been on the gear these last few years

Don't worry, we've got to this point on day 3 of the trade period where "under no circumstances" would Clayton Oliver be traded.

Another week for them to crumble further

In other words take this player off our hands ,leagues worst contract and all and give us close to his market value as player as if he has no off field issues and still in top physical condition…..

Ahhhh Yeaaaa ok Melbourne , sounds like the entire organisations been on the gear these last few years

If this is true we are probably not far from a deal being struck. I would've thought the Cats would be more than happy to give their pick 1 OR F1 (depending on which one gets used in the smith deal) for Clarry and take on 900k of salary.

Worth the risk IMO

Or alternatively bargain that his contract gets terminated with a fresh contract at Geelong, but with no picks involved. It gets him off the Melbourne books if they really don't want him around.

Last edited:

Yeah maybe, but also majority of his salary could technically be 651k per year and a first could be pick 20....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't worry, we've got to this point on day 3 of the trade period where "under no circumstances" would Clayton Oliver be traded.

Another week for them to crumble further
Come next Monday Melbourne will add a F2 along with Clarry to the deal

Still think this deal gets done IMO, Geelong don't miss many.

Cmon mate you got to play us twice and still didn't make finals :$

If this is true we are probably not far from a deal being struck. I would've thought the Cats would be more than happy to give their pick 1 OR F1 (depending on which one gets used in the smith deal) for Clarry and take on 900k of salary.

Worth the risk IMO

Or alternatively bargain that his contract gets terminated with a fresh contract at Geelong, but with no picks involved. It gets him off the Melbourne books if they really don't want him around.

So, Melbourne should give him to Geelong for free, is that it?

F**k me.

I'd say the gain for him is being able to get a fresh start, leave a club that doesn't want him, and still retain the majority of the money that you signed for - despite having two subpar seasons that didn't justify anywhere near the amount he's been getting paid.

All depends on how he sees it, but that's just my outsiders perspective that isn't worth a damn, haha.
Yeah I’m the same, another perspective that counts for nothing just think it would be hard and to b honest a pretty bad decision to walk away from $1m+ to get a fresh start. Outsider looking in it seems his behaviour is the reason he isn’t wanted, maybe work on changing that rather than Guernsey colours.

Worth the risk IMO

So are the AFL making a new rule where players can just terminate their contract and make a new one at Geelong?

By mutual agreement can’t players renegotiate an existing contract?
Granted it would be rare for a player to renegotiate it downwards, but it’s the principle rather than the detail right?
A player could certainly renegotiate their contract. But then move to Geelong for no pick? Set a dangerous precedent. Besides Oliver unlikely forgoing hundreds of thousands of dollars. The AFL wouldn’t want that starting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Clayton Oliver [UFA 2030]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back