Speculation Clayton Oliver [UFA 2030]

Remove this Banner Ad

Would majority of Dees fans be happy to see him leave if most of his wage was covered and they got a 1st round pick?

I suspect they would.

But if he was to go to Geelong, there would be no pick, but the Dees fans would be instructed by the AFL to be happy with it.

I mean, I realise the years of handouts from the AFL and Victorian government has engendered a high level of entitlement amongst Geelong supporters, but even by that standard it is delusional to suggest a deal where they get Oliver for free, pay him less, and expect Melbourne, Oliver and the rest of supporters to be happy with the outcome.

I suspect they would.

But if he was to go to Geelong, there would be no pick, but the Dees fans would be instructed by the AFL to be happy with it.

I mean, I realise the years of handouts from the AFL and Victorian government has engendered a high level of entitlement amongst Geelong supporters, but even by that standard it is delusional to suggest a deal where they get Oliver for free, pay him less, and expect Melbourne, Oliver and the rest of supporters to be happy with the outcome.
Channing Tatum Smh GIF by Dog The Movie

Every time a player is traded the old contract gets torn up and replaced with a be one with new terms. Players can always sign somewhere else for less, they just don't
The suggestion is Oliver picks his club and re signs a new contract without a trade. That’s not happening. Sure a new contract gets drawn up. Player would rarely if ever take a pay cut.

The suggestion is Oliver picks his club and re signs a new contract without a trade. That’s not happening. Sure a new contract gets drawn up. Player would rarely if ever take a pay cut.
Yeah but the question is whether it's possible, and i guess technically it might have to involve a pick going to Melbourne or else it becomes a self delisting scenario and he had to go through the draft. Where he probably makes it to the rookie draft to be honest

I suspect they would.

1728470795303.png

You were saying?

Yeah but the question is whether it's possible, and i guess technically it might have to involve a pick going to Melbourne or else it becomes a self delisting scenario and he had to go through the draft. Where he probably makes it to the rookie draft to be honest
He wouldn’t be allowed to rip up his contract and go in the draft. If the scenario was to happen. And Melbourne were fine with it they’d take a fourth rounder or something. I don’t see it coming to that.

View attachment 2136611

You were saying?

Touché.

That's equalisation, of course, given we have a shit stadium deal after being kicked out of our home ground.

I was thinking more of incredibly favourable trades like the Bowes one being ticked off, and literally tens of millions of dollars poured into developing your home ground. All Victorians pay, one team's supporters benefit.

Getting all of this is probably what drives the mindset of some Geelong supporters when they suggest a deal where they get Oliver for free and everyone should thank Geelong for that.

Personally, I think Oliver has probably destroyed his career, but in the off chance that he gets back to what he was, he is unequivocally one of the very best players in the comp. So no, you're not doing Melbourne a favour by taking him for free. And you're not doing him a favour by paying him less than he's contractually entitled to get paid if he doesn't move.

Touché.

That's equalisation, of course, given we have a shit stadium deal after being kicked out of our home ground.

I was thinking more of incredibly favourable trades like the Bowes one being ticked off, and literally tens of millions of dollars poured into developing your home ground. All Victorians pay, one team's supporters benefit.

Getting all of this is probably what drives the mindset of some Geelong supporters when they suggest a deal where they get Oliver for free and everyone should thank Geelong for that.

Personally, I think Oliver has probably destroyed his career, but in the off chance that he gets back to what he was, he is unequivocally one of the very best players in the comp. So no, you're not doing Melbourne a favour by taking him for free. And you're not doing him a favour by paying him less than he's contractually entitled to get paid if he doesn't move.
ok so this is a 2 part melt I assume. The Government owns Kardinia Park so thats why they fund its upgrades. GFC brings money to Geelong and KP is used for more than football.

Secondly a Bowes melt. Yes we got the deal of a lifetime by taking on Bowes as a salary dump, no sane Geelong supporter could deny that, however Geelong is also the only club that has traded for a free agent - they've done it twice actually, giving up a total of 4 first round picks in doing so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ok so this is a 2 part melt I assume. The Government owns Kardinia Park so thats why they fund its upgrades. GFC brings money to Geelong and KP is used for more than football.

Haha, you keep telling yourself that. Technically correct but completely ignores the material outcome.

Secondly a Bowes melt. Yes we got the deal of a lifetime by taking on Bowes as a salary dump, no sane Geelong supporter could deny that, however Geelong is also the only club that has traded for a free agent - they've done it twice actually, giving up a total of 4 first round picks in doing so.

You call it a melt and then concede all Geelong supporters know that you made out like bandits.

You understand that 99% of all stadiums, courts, arena's for pro sport in this country is taxpayer funded? And that 99% of all local recreational sporting fields, ovals, courts and complex's are council funded and maintained in this country?

One of the few gripes I've never understood with footy fans. We're all playing in taxpayer funded stadiums.
That it benefits one team only is just a quirk that we're a one team town. And it would be ludicrous to make us move.

Haven't you received 2 stages of redevelopment at Arden street. State government paid for.
And don't you receive Tasmanian taxpayer funds to play in Hobart??

You understand that 99% of all stadiums, courts, arena's for pro sport in this country is taxpayer funded? And that 99% of all local recreational sporting fields, ovals, courts and complex's are council funded and maintained in this country?

One of the few gripes I've never understood with footy fans. We're all playing in taxpayer funded stadiums.
That it benefits one team only is just a quirk that we're a one team town. And it would be ludicrous to make us move.

Haven't you received 2 stages of redevelopment at Arden street. State government paid for.
And don't you receive Tasmanian taxpayer funds to play in Hobart??

Look, I can't disagree with any of that. For the casual observer, the funding of Kardinia Park looks disproportionate and the benefits are clear. But I suppose it is as you say, the effect of being a one-team town.

Yes, we (Arden St) are belatedly getting funding as part of a much bigger overall infrastructure project (on hold to an extent at the moment whilst we all pay for the Glasgow Commonwealth Games). Tassie is essentially a commercial venture. We're selling a product that they're willing to buy. Don't like it personally, but needs must ...

I jumped into this thread to comment on the delusion of a poster suggesting a deal wherein Geelong were doing Melbourne and Oliver a favour by taking him for free and giving him a pay cut. Did go too hard on the relative (AFL, government) benefits to Geelong, I'll admit.

There's no way Melbourne trade Oliver and then their future first. These clowns will be bottom six next year.

It's amazing that we can watch a team regress to their blunder years in real time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Clayton Oliver [UFA 2030]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back