Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Gavin Bell should get sacked regardless of who we hire as coach. But if we go for a rookie coach then we really do need to fire him and get somebody experienced in that role. We can't have a rookie senior coach and an underperforming plodder (who seems to have failure following him around like a bad smell) as footy boss. Need an old wise head in that role like Neale Daniher was for us.

Always get a little suspicious with senior coaches endorsing assistants, ala Kingsley/Montgomery.
Think Rodney Eade/Chris Connolly, which Eade later said was to get him out, if rumour is true.
Larry David/Jimmy Kimmel would call it 'foisting'

*Edit Damian Drum, not CC.
Apologies, think it was Damian Drum, not Chris Connolly

I think Gavin Bell should get sacked regardless of who we hire as coach. But if we go for a rookie coach then we really do need to fire him and get somebody experienced in that role. We can't have a rookie senior coach and an underperforming plodder (who seems to have failure following him around like a bad smell) as footy boss. Need an old wise head in that role like Neale Daniher was for us.

Way off with your ascertains there. I think Gavin Bell is a highly respected figure at the club.

He'll put a block on any unsuitable coaches.
Good to see 2 real football people on the selection panel and not some of the "Perthonalities" on the board.
Beau Watters and Woosha would be good additions to the selection panel. Lethal Leigh would be good too.

The more I watch Hawthorn, the more I would like Hickmott back here for us, in any capacity.
I suspect Sam Mitchell is the smartest head in footy atm.
Want a game plan/idea where footy is going?, keep a close eye on Hawthorn.
*don't bring your mouthguards btw

Gavin Bell’s been at one of the league’s most successful clubs since 2008. How that constitutes “failure following him around like a bad smell” is anyone’s guess.

I would also say that in terms of the football side of the off field business (as opposed to the corporate, membership, sponsorship side), and that means drafting, trading, development, fitness, non - fitness based player preperation, medical etc we have been the worst club in the league in the last 10 years. Which is why we are where we are right now and why we are likely to spend 10 years out of finals before it is over. It didn't just happen for no reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
Always get a little suspicious with senior coaches endorsing assistants, ala Kingsley/Montgomery.
Think Rodney Eade/Chris Connolly, which Eade later said was to get him out, if rumour is true.
Larry David/Jimmy Kimmel would call it 'foisting'

*Edit Damian Drum, not CC.
Nah Damian Drum was the AFL endorsed helping hand

Although Schofield is speaking well I'm still on board with a whole new coaching set up and no one who has been involved over the last few years.

I would also say that in terms of the football side of the off field business (as opposed to the corporate, membership, sponsorship side), and that means drafting, trading, development, fitness, non - fitness based player preperation, medical etc we have been the worst club in the league in the last 10 years. Which is why we are where we are right now and why we are likely to spend 10 years out of finals before it is over. It didn't just happen for no reason.

The last ten years? We’ve won a flag in that time. We’ve played finals six times. Somehow we did that as the worst club in the league? That’s seriously impressive.

Its a no from me on Schofield, I love what he's brought but I feel we need a clean-out and renewed coaching set-up.
Montgomery or Hansen with a Roos/Matthew's type as head of football.
Bring in some fresh tactical views and some senior well respected oversight that our young players can look up to, with Pyke running the show.

On SM-S906E using BigFooty.com mobile app

The last ten years? We’ve won a flag in that time. We’ve played finals six times. Somehow we did that as the worst club in the league? That’s seriously impressive.

I don’t agree with Trump, but our Premiership and successful finals teams were built from drafts from about 08-14

I will also give you 2015 as a solid year for drafting and recuriting as we picked up Redden, Jetta in trades and Tom Cole in the draft.

After that there are a few success from drafting and development, but it is pretty slim pickings (even when you consider picking relatively late).

Our Fitness staff was obviously ok up until 2018, but after COVID cuts and the natural aging of our list, it looked pretty average.

10 years is an exaggeration, but we have been pretty shit maybe the last 5,

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its a no from me on Schofield, I love what he's brought but I feel we need a clean-out and renewed coaching set-up.
Montgomery or Hansen with a Roos/Matthew's type as head of football.
Bring in some fresh tactical views and some senior well respected oversight that our young players can look up to, with Pyke running the show.

On SM-S906E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Montgomery and Choco Williams as director of coaching or Football Operations Manager would be a great team.

Since the club and Adam Simpson mutually parted ways earlier this month, the club has spent significant time determining exactly what key competencies and skills we are looking for in our next senior coach.

This process has been completed and the club will now move to the next stage of developing a shortlist of candidates to participate in interviews.

The panel conducting these interviews will be as follows:

- Don Pyke (CEO)

- Gavin Bell (General Manager- Football)

- Rowan Jones (Director – Football Affairs)

- Jan Cooper (Director)

- Harry Taylor (Performance Leadership Consultant)

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Since the club and Adam Simpson mutually parted ways earlier this month, the club has spent significant time determining exactly what key competencies and skills we are looking for in our next senior coach.

This process has been completed and the club will now move to the next stage of developing a shortlist of candidates to participate in interviews.

- Don Pyke (CEO)

- Jan Cooper (Director)

This panel, doesn't exactly excite me...BUT in Don we trust.

The more I watch Hawthorn, the more I would like Hickmott back here for us, in any capacity.
I suspect Sam Mitchell is the smartest head in footy atm.
Want a game plan/idea where footy is going?, keep a close eye on Hawthorn.
*don't bring your mouth guards btw
From what I hear the 3 things that the Hawks practice the most at training is handling groundballs at top speed
and how to tackle and also break tackles.
Does anyone know what the eagles practice the most.
Perhaps we should make Mitchell a monster offer, blow the salary cap and pay the fines.

- Don Pyke (CEO)

- Jan Cooper (Director)

If true - I’m calling this a ‘very insular’ selection panel. Would like an external too.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Anyone thinking that Gavin Bell’s position might have been in jeopardy just got their answer. If the heirachy had any concerns over his performance he wouldn’t be on the selection committee for the new coach

Like that Harry Taylor is being used as part of the selection panel

Indifferent to Cooper and Bell

Yeah that’s what I thought straight away no one from outside the club on the panel which I think is needed

Pyke and Taylor are both relatively new to club, particularly Taylor who’s been there less than 6 months and I think is only part time. So whilst an external view might have been handy it’s not like the panel is full of rusted on staff

From what I hear the 3 things that the Hawks practice the most at training is handling groundballs at top speed
and how to tackle and also break tackles.
Does anyone know what the eagles practice the most.
Perhaps we should make Mitchell a monster offer, blow the salary cap and pay the fines.
One reason I would say Sam would never return to the WCE is because of his better half as I understand she was the reason he left us in the first place🤔.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back