Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

I am more interest in how the coach will be selected at the moment.

I caught a glimpse on Footy classified and there were two schools of thought

1. Eddie noting he is the old school said “If Pyke knows Cox is his man, then go for him.”

2. The panel suggested a committee to get interview as many candidates as possible.

It also led to discussion about the perceived candidates, if Cox interviews would this limit the pool considering he is odds on to take the job.

IMO it would be good to know how the club will tackle it.

Buckley???

Natural born loser. Unless we are planning to turf him out when we finally content for finals he is a natural born loser who has failed to win one as a player and as a coach.

He's may be a fine developmental coach but he's not someone who will win is the big one

One of your stupidest calls, which is a feat in itself.

It would be very strange for me to support Nathan Buckley if he gets the coaching role for WCE, he lost all credibility with me when he walked out of Brisbane to Collingwood to win a grand final . We know what happened after that zero GF medals playing and coaching LOL

I am more interest in how the coach will be selected at the moment.

I caught a glimpse on Footy classified and there were two schools of thought

1. Eddie noting he is the old school said “If Pyke knows Cox is his man, then go for him.”

2. The panel suggested a committee to get interview as many candidates as possible.

It also led to discussion about the perceived candidates, if Cox interviews would this limit the pool considering he is odds on to take the job.

IMO it would be good to know how the club will tackle it.
The club should interview as many candidates as possible even if they think cox might be the right one. That's when a suprise candidate interviews amazing and then you run the second and third presentations to narrow the field. I would hope it not going to be just one round of interviews and bang.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

The club should interview as many candidates as possible even if they think cox might be the right one. That's when a suprise candidate interviews amazing and then you run the second and third presentations to narrow the field. I would hope it not going to be just one round of interviews and bang.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
A lot of people thought Sumich was the Shoe-in to replace Woosh before interviewing, the Simmo ended his career lol.
So it's a bit early to call who it'll end up being, for now Cox is looking quite good but we'll see when they start interviewing what shakes out.

At the moment, it is more like 12 years. 94, 06, 18.
We have 18 teams. Should we treat 18 years as average? Or 9 years as average? Should we aim at "above average"? Or we are happy as being average?
Clearly in an 18 team competition, a premiership every 18 years would be considered average.

The fact we have a record of holding our coaches for 10 years may make us attractive to would-be coaches.

This may mean we get the pick of the crop, therefore increasing our chances of winning more premierships than average?

We have a number of problems. I don’t believe coaching tenures is one of them.

My primary concern is the shambles that is our reserves team structure.

"Clearly in an 18 team competition, a premiership every 18 years would be considered average..."
It depends on whether you are using the Arithmetic Mean as the meaning of average same as in statistic. (Note that statistic uses Arithmetic Means only because it is an unbiased estimator and good for mathematical calculations). Also, are we willing to be the average with worst? or we want to be above average with the best?

It depends on whether you are using the Arithmetic Mean as the meaning of average same as in statistic. (Note that statistic uses Arithmetic Means only because it is an unbiased estimator and good for mathematical calculations). Also, are we willing to be the average with worst? or we want to be above average with the best?

Premierships since 1987 :
7- Hawthorn
4- Geelong, West Coast
3- Brisbane, Collingwood, Richmond
2- Adelaide, Carlton, Essendon, North Melbourne, Sydney
1- Melbourne, Port Adelaide, Western Bulldogs
0- Fremantle, Gold Coast, GWS, St Kilda, Fitzroy

I’d say we’ve been above average

For now

Premierships since 1987 :
7- Hawthorn - 5.285714285714286
4- Geelong, West Coast - 9.25
3- Brisbane, Collingwood, Richmond - 12.3333333333
2- Adelaide, Carlton, Essendon, North Melbourne, Sydney - 18.5
1- Melbourne, Port Adelaide, Western Bulldogs - 37
0- Fremantle, Gold Coast, GWS, St Kilda, Fitzroy - Infinity?

I’d say we’ve been above average

For now
2024 - 1987 = 37
7- Hawthorn - 5.285714285714286
4- Geelong, West Coast - 9.25
3- Brisbane, Collingwood, Richmond - 12.3333333333
2- Adelaide, Carlton, Essendon, North Melbourne, Sydney - 18.5
1- Melbourne, Port Adelaide, Western Bulldogs - 37
0- Fremantle, Gold Coast, GWS, St Kilda, Fitzroy - Infinity?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The hawks havent won that many AFL GF's, i say AFL not VFL

It became the AFL in 1990 so if you want to start it from then Hawthorn lose 2 (1988 & 89) and Carlton lose 1 (1987)

It became the AFL in 1990 so if you want to start it from then Hawthorn lose 2 (1988 & 89) and Carlton lose 1 (1987)
Hearing rando fans talk about their 20 flags is so dumb. Congrats on the history, but its meant to be the AFL now :D

Buckley is a terrible coach. The moment he left Collingwood, they improved vastly. Compounded by losing some significant players at the time for peanuts. Buckley is prime for Tasmania.

Buckley is a terrible coach. The moment he left Collingwood, they improved vastly. Compounded by losing some significant players at the time for peanuts. Buckley is prime for Tasmania.

Yeah Collingwood were going through alot at the time when he was there. All of it self inflicted by Collingwood. But this doesn’t mean he is a terrible coach. He has got a decent record (not ultimate success obviously).

I’d be prepared to give him a second chance. Not sure about Tasmania, that is just so far away for him.

Yeah Collingwood were going through alot at the time when he was there. All of it self inflicted by Collingwood. But this doesn’t mean he is a terrible coach. He has got a decent record (not ultimate success obviously).

I’d be prepared to give him a second chance. Not sure about Tasmania, that is just so far away for him.
Don’t think I want Buckley.

This comment is based on little knowledge. He does seem to be a fairly astute analyst of the game but also comes across as having a healthy ego.

I could see it as being all about him not the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back