Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Certainly not raining on the Schofield parade.

Just wondering how many caretakers got the big gig and succeeded. Without trawling through all sorts of websites my memory keeps coming up with a not so great track record for caretakers being promoted and succeeding.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Still a long way to go.

This game really didn't do much to raise or lower his stake. The expectation with any new coach is there is a response. Produced what was expected.

The fact remains he has the best CV of the lot. If he can produce above expectation tenure he should get a shot. The caretakers being elevated did not have as good cv as Schofield has

More games are needed. However I'd give him a one year contract senior head coach if he produces above expectation

Certainly not raining on the Schofield parade.

Just wondering how many caretakers got the big gig and succeeded. Without trawling through all sorts of websites my memory keeps coming up with a not so great track record for caretakers being promoted and succeeding.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Roos took over from Eade at Sydney after being a caretaker coach when Terry Wallace was assumed to be the new coach

He’s the only genuine caretaker I can think of that’s won a premiership after being in that role

Not caretakers as such, but coaches who have replaced the incumbent after being an assistant at the club :

• Longmire taking over from Roos
• Chris Scott taking over from Thompson
• Goodwin taking over from Roos (which was planned in advance)
• Buckley took over from Malthouse and was a Dom Sheed drop punt away from winning a flag

Most other caretakers becoming the senior coach have ultimately failed - Teague, Shaw, Bolton off the top of my head didn’t work out. There’s plenty of others

Roos took over from Eade at Sydney after being a caretaker coach when Terry Wallace was assumed to be the new coach

He’s the only genuine caretaker I can think of that’s won a premiership after being in that role

Not caretakers as such, but coaches who have replaced the incumbent after being an assistant at the club :

• Longmire taking over from Roos
• Chris Scott taking over from Thompson
• Goodwin taking over from Roos (which was planned in advance)
• Buckley took over from Malthouse and was a Dom Sheed drop punt away from winning a flag

Most other caretakers becoming the senior coach have ultimately failed - Teague, Shaw, Bolton off the top of my head didn’t work out. There’s plenty of others
Chris Scott went to the Cats straight from the assistant role Freo I thought?

Primus was another who took the role and didn’t go on with it.

Chris Scott went to the Cats straight from the assistant role Freo I thought?

Primus was another who took the role and didn’t go on with it.

You’re right about Scott.

For some reason I thought he was already at Geelong

I stand corrected

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For some reason, cox doesn’t sway me.

You either want it like a rabid dog or you won’t succeed. This isn’t like normal job where you just go where jobs are. Requires more than that for success.
He may want it. The Vic media wouldn't have a clue and Cox is to professional to disrupt Sydney's grand final aspirations.

One game is nowhere near enough of a sample size to draw conclusions but if Schofield could get that level of effort and intensity replicated another 6 times this year, regardless of the win/loss tally in the end, i would be happy with him as coach. He looks impressive. Looks like he is a man who knows who he is, what he is trying to do, has confidence in himself and his skill set.

He also looks, by the lack of grey hair, to be a man with a fair bit of youth and energy left in which will be important to a coach a young list. You will have to babysit and micromanage them to a degree. That would be time and energy intensive. Unlike if you have an experienced list who know their role and how to prepare themselves and all you have to worry about is match day coaching. That is the main reason why i think Simpson failed in the last few years - he doesn't have the energy and intensity needed to nurse a young list anymore.

I don't know why everybody fixates on Cox. Sure he was a bigger name as a player than some of the other candidates but what does that count for or why would that indicate a higher chance of success? And sure he is assistant coaching at a club that is minor premier. But they also have a wayyy better list with lots of help from academies. So i don't think that that should seperate him from other candidates from clubs lower down the ladder.

If he wants to apply he can apply and go through the process and if he is the best man for the jo then so be it. But i am not assuming he is or should be the front runner based on his playing record or the fact that he is assistant coaching at a club higher up the ladder at the moment.

Certainly not raining on the Schofield parade. Just wondering how many caretakers got the big gig and succeeded. Without trawling through all sorts of websites my memory keeps coming up with a not so great track record for caretakers being promoted and succeeding. On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Teague is one I can think of.

If we were to go with Schofield as senior coach we’d need a decent overhaul of the assistants - Webster and Knights would need to be rotated out to ensure we had some fresh ideas. Good chance they might be moved on anyway to be fair

If the last few days formed part of Schofield’s audition for the job he’s got himself off to a good start

Also, fun fact - he’s a year older than Simpson and would turn 50 before R1 of 2025

If we were to go with Schofield as senior coach we’d need a decent overhaul of the assistants - Webster and Knights would need to be rotated out to ensure we had some fresh ideas. Good chance they might be moved on anyway to be fair

If the last few days formed part of Schofield’s audition for the job he’s got himself off to a good start

Also, fun fact - he’s a year older than Simpson and would turn 50 before R1 of 2025
Maybe my impression is wrong and he doesn't have higher energy levels than Simpson. Or maybe Simpson aged quicker due to being senior coach. But Schofield looks like he has the energy and Simpson looked totally cooked by the end.

And i could be wrong again, but i think it looks like Matthew Lloyd is right and Cox is not that kean on the gig. Total radio silence from him. He is not flying his flag or putting the "I'm available" sign up. Buckley is out lobbying for the job on Fox, Montgomery has his boss out in the media talking him up. But Cox has said nothing. And journos would have been ringing and texting him for an on or off the record statement or quote and he has clearly given them absolutely nothing. No public endorsements from Longmire which would only be because Cox has told him to say nothing. He is not obliged to publicly lobby for the job and maybe that is not his style, but i just think the complete and total silence from his end, coupled with him knocking back the offer last year and now Victorian commentators are saying they are hearing he doesn't really want the job means he probably does have reservations.

One game is nowhere near enough of a sample size to draw conclusions but if Schofield could get that level of effort and intensity replicated another 6 times this year, regardless of the win/loss tally in the end, i would be happy with him as coach. He looks impressive. Looks like he is a man who knows who he is, what he is trying to do, has confidence in himself and his skill set.

He also looks, by the lack of grey hair, to be a man with a fair bit of youth and energy left in which will be important to a coach a young list. You will have to babysit and micromanage them to a degree. That would be time and energy intensive. Unlike if you have an experienced list who know their role and how to prepare themselves and all you have to worry about is match day coaching. That is the main reason why i think Simpson failed in the last few years - he doesn't have the energy and intensity needed to nurse a young list anymore.

I don't know why everybody fixates on Cox. Sure he was a bigger name as a player than some of the other candidates but what does that count for or why would that indicate a higher chance of success? And sure he is assistant coaching at a club that is minor premier. But they also have a wayyy better list with lots of help from academies. So i don't think that that should seperate him from other candidates from clubs lower down the ladder.

If he wants to apply he can apply and go through the process and if he is the best man for the jo then so be it. But i am not assuming he is or should be the front runner based on his playing record or the fact that he is assistant coaching at a club higher up the ladder at the moment.
The changes he made was been a huge positive.

Dropping Darling as his first move was what has been needed for so long.
We can never go with a tall forward line of Waterman Allen Williams and Darling.

Absolutely killed us.
Three of them at the absolute max in the side. The fact that Williams is showing he has the ability to play back puts him in as a must.

Toss up between Allen and Darling. Allen has much better reach but he was pretty poor on the weekend and if he can't be consistent then I wouldn't be against dropping Allen for Darling. Waterman is a must.

I think we should stay with
Waterman Jack Williams and one of Allen/Darling for remained of the season. Trew and Luke Edwards showed something and another positive move by Schofield. We must get the most out of our mids.

Things I'd like to see going forward.
Bailey Williams is a problem as we need more depth in our rucks. Williams has been poor and if we had someone that's capable he probably would be making way but unfortunately there's no one to replace him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back