Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Simpson was the obvious candidate last time our job came up for grabs don’t envy the selection to be made wasn’t a soft cap in place when simmo was appointed it’s a big job

No one with any serious coaching aspirations will touch us currently you'd think. I dont blame Cox in the slightest.

Oh Bullshit

Let’s look at Cox specifically

He’s provided a thoroughly reasonable explanation for not wanting to apply. He has two young daughters (8 and 11) who are well entrenched at school and his wife has a Sydney based business. He’s been there since November 17 (nearly 7 years) so his daughters would have been around 2 and 4 when he moved

Unlike most other senior coaching aspirants he has a foot in the door for the Sydney position if/when Longmire retires.

Note also that he hasn’t previously chased any of the other recent positions that opened up. The fact he had been linked to us so strongly was only due to him being a past premiership player.

He is well settled and is enjoying his time at Sydney who are a very well run club.

Now more broadly, virtually every coaching position that becomes available is due to the club being at the bottom end of the ladder. Jobs at a club that are a flag contender like Geelong in 2010 are rare as hens teeth. And there are on average only 2 or 3 positions that open up each year and a total of 18 positions in the league

So if you want to be a senior coach it’s hard to be one if you pick and choose when to apply selectively

West Coast is the most financially stable club in the league and provides great job security. Three of our last four coaches have lasted at the club for 10+ years. And unlike many other clubs there are significant earning opportunities outside coaching - Adam Simpson is a rather wealthy man who is set up nicely

A lot, not all of the heavy lifting as also been done over the last 3 years. Still plenty of work to do no doubt, but the incoming coach has a young list to build and shape with a couple of years at least before needing to show significant depth improvement

There are plenty of good candidates who will register their interest over the next two months. Some of them will have a longer and more credentialed resume than Cox

It’s a plum job that will attract serious interest

Oh Bullshit

I’m confused by your opening line.

Like you I see WCE being an attractive option for would be coaches.

Sure there is work to be done but most would be coaches are up for those challenges IF they have CEO and board on same page.

The fact we’ve only had three short-term coaches (Alexander hard done by IMO, JT reportedly too old school, Judge - bad appointment) in our history suggests we will provide support required to succeed.

Will be interesting to see which names get reported as progressing through process and ultimately where we finally land.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’m confused by your opening line.

Like you I see WCE being an attractive option for would be coaches.

Sure there is work to be done but most would be coaches are up for those challenges IF they have CEO and board on same page.

The fact we’ve only had three short-term coaches (Alexander hard done by IMO, JT reportedly too old school, Judge - bad appointment) in our history suggests we will provide support required to succeed.

Will be interesting to see which names get reported as progressing through process and ultimately where we finally land.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

It’s bullshit that anyone with serious coaching aspirations would avoid us

No one with any serious coaching aspirations will touch us currently you'd think. I dont blame Cox in the slightest.
This is a whole different level, even for you mate.

One of the biggest clubs in the land, one of the biggest supporter bases, one of the best stadiums, arguably the best young player to build around, some of the best bookends at either end of the field, history suggests a good chance of becoming a premiership coach here.

Huge opportunity.

Simpson was the obvious candidate last time our job came up for grabs don’t envy the selection to be made wasn’t a soft cap in place when simmo was appointed it’s a big job
He actually wasn't the obvious candidate. Sumich was the one everyone thought was a shoe-in until it got to the interview stage and then Simmo reigned supreme.

In the immediate aftermath this is what was being floated...

"Former Brisbane coach Michael Voss and assistants Peter Sumich (Fremantle) and Scott Burns (West Coast) were mentioned as possible successors, but the Eagles stressed they were yet to start the search." - The Worst in 2013.

The Australian barely mentioned simmo just prior to the interview stages here:

So when it comes to who will replace Simmo it's still way too early to call. Plenty of people will throw their hats into the ring and from there it's anybody's race to win, except Sumich because he's an idiot.

Last edited:
I'd say it's the opposite and that some coaches would view being the West Coast Eagles coach as intimidating, BC of how big a club we are, our continued success and expected success each decade combined with how bad we are right now.

Cox chickened out is my view. Wants the luxury cruise ship ride at Sydney rather than having to get down and dirty and be the leader during some pain.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No he doesn't

The club just needs to go through the correct process and pick the best candidate

I don’t disagree…

I’m just saying that a coach like Buckley would walk into the club and draw instant respect and command a level of professionalism within the entire coaching staff and playing list that perhaps a new / unseasoned coach may not.

In order for WCE to have long-term success, big changes are still needed. Passengers from board level down to boot-studder level need weeding out. Certain players need to be told in no uncertain terms ‘goodbye’ and key appointments need to be made that will entice and harbour a culture of success.

Buckley could certainly be that flagship coach, a potential drawcard that entices professional support coaches, highly experienced list management personnel and a star line up of players to West Coast.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Completely unconcerned about Cox withdrawing (no pun intended). Hearing that a senior assistant coach is "highly rated" is so common, that it's basically meaningless. Mark Harvey was regularly cited as the most highly-regarded assistant coach in football for years... still turned out to be a dud when he got his chance.

Also.... as for Schofield... I have no idea whether he deserves the top job. But interim coaches that turned out ok? Paul Roos. Took over from Rodney Eade at Sydney. Terry Wallace was (apparently) given the top job, but players and fans pushed for Roos to get the position permanently, and the offer to Wallace was withdrawn.

And recycled coaches like Nathan Buckley? We currently have Scott, Voss and Lyon. The last recycled coach to win a premiership? I guess it depends on your definition of recycled.... but there was Malthouse (coached at Bulldogs, then West Coast, then Collingwood), Leigh Matthews (coached at Collingwood and then coached the Lions to their three-peat) and Malcolm Blight (coached at Geelong, then won premierships with Adelaide). Robert Walls too, if you want to go back far enough... coached Fitzroy for several years before before winning a premiership at Carlton.

I'm not pimping for Buckley by any stretch. But Ross Lyon is regularly cited as some kind of coaching genius despite never winning a premiership. Meanwhile, Buckley took Collingwood to a grand final, and has a win-loss record that's pretty close to Lyon's, and he doesn't get a fraction of the respect.

McRae's success is cited as proof that Collingwood had a premiership-capable list and that Buckley was holding them back. But another way of looking at it, is that Buckley was pressured to resign prematurely and McRae got lucky to pick up a pretty good list. Having Nick Daicos land in his lap in his first season was pretty helpful. After 2018, Collingwood were 4th in 2019, 8th in 2020, and then Buckley resigned mid-way through 2021. They made some big mistakes with list management, but overpaying Brodie Grundy wasn't Buckley's fault.

Again, I'm not pimping for Buckley, but I think the narrative around his coaching ability is off-the-mark.

Oh Bullshit

Let’s look at Cox specifically

He’s provided a thoroughly reasonable explanation for not wanting to apply. He has two young daughters (8 and 11) who are well entrenched at school and his wife has a Sydney based business. He’s been there since November 17 (nearly 7 years) so his daughters would have been around 2 and 4 when he moved

Unlike most other senior coaching aspirants he has a foot in the door for the Sydney position if/when Longmire retires.

Note also that he hasn’t previously chased any of the other recent positions that opened up. The fact he had been linked to us so strongly was only due to him being a past premiership player.

He is well settled and is enjoying his time at Sydney who are a very well run club.

Now more broadly, virtually every coaching position that becomes available is due to the club being at the bottom end of the ladder. Jobs at a club that are a flag contender like Geelong in 2010 are rare as hens teeth. And there are on average only 2 or 3 positions that open up each year and a total of 18 positions in the league

So if you want to be a senior coach it’s hard to be one if you pick and choose when to apply selectively

West Coast is the most financially stable club in the league and provides great job security. Three of our last four coaches have lasted at the club for 10+ years. And unlike many other clubs there are significant earning opportunities outside coaching - Adam Simpson is a rather wealthy man who is set up nicely

A lot, not all of the heavy lifting as also been done over the last 3 years. Still plenty of work to do no doubt, but the incoming coach has a young list to build and shape with a couple of years at least before needing to show significant depth improvement

There are plenty of good candidates who will register their interest over the next two months. Some of them will have a longer and more credentialed resume than Cox

It’s a plum job that will attract serious interest
That is wildly over optimistic. The heavy lifting has not been done at all.

An assistant in waiting is likely to be offered a standard 3 year contract if offered the role. If you were an assistant in contention you would be looking at the list and saying "even if i am as good as i think i am and i do the best job i think i can do where can i get this list to in 3 years time?". In 3 years time McGovern, Barass, Yeo, Cripps, Ryan will all be gone. Duggan and Kelly will be on their last legs. What recent early draft picks are coming through to replace them? Chesser, Ginbey, Hewitt whose future is totally up in the air. And Reid who is only a 50% chance to stay.

So you are looking at a bottom 2 team currently that is going to lose even more talent over the next 3 years and has very, very little coming through to replace it because it blew it's recent first rounders. A bottom 2 team that is going to suffer a further net loss of talent over the next 3 years. You would not back yourself to get the club out of the bottom 4 in a sustainable way in 3 years time if you were looking at that picture.

And why does the amount of money or supporters the club has matter? They refuse to spend any of it. So in practical terms they have only the same amount of money to spend and the same amount of resources available to the coach and foot department as every other club.

lol turns out bro wasn't wrong, no one would touch this job with a 10 foot pole
Mate this job is rolled gold for a new coach. Huge club, great stadium, Reid etc. More to work with than most cellar dwellers.

But fair to say Schofield has failed his audition today.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back