Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

West Coast will zero in on Brisbane Lions’ football manager Danny Daly as a new football director and head of coaching.
The Eagles had initially shown interest in Daly as a potential senior coach but have updated the role to help oversee the coaching department and football operations as part of a new senior job.

Daly is highly-rated for his management skills and football knowledge and has had previous stints at Collingwood, North Melbourne and Richmond before joining Brisbane in 2014.

Daly’s experience appeals to West Coast as he would likely help assist and guide a new young coach at West Coast after a series of knock backs from top candidates including Dean Cox, Ashley Hansen, Josh Carr and Jaymie Graham.

West Coast’s interest in Daly as a senior football boss comes as Melbourne assistant coach Andrew McQualter, 38, firms as one of the frontrunners to land the Eagles’ senior coaching job.

McQualter was beaten by Adem Yze for the Richmond coaching job last year but could yet take over from Adam Simpson as the Eagles’ new coach as part of a new era for the club.

McQualter has strong relationships with the Tigers’ playing group, including premiership midfielders Jack Graham and Liam Baker who the Eagles are trying to recruit.

Hard nut Graham could stay at Richmond, while versatile Baker also has an enticing offer from Fremantle which he is considering.

McQualter, who played 89 games for St Kilda and five matches for Gold Coast, enjoyed a stint as Richmond senior coach last year, winning seven of his 13 games in charge.

But he moved to take up a position on Melbourne’s assistant coaching staff after the Tigers opted for Yze who played a key role in the Demons’ 2021 premiership as midfield coach.

McQualter is highly rated in the football industry and received a strong endorsement from St Kilda coach Ross Lyon in the Richmond coach search process.

Yze faces a huge challenge steering a Richmond side next year which could lose star players Baker, Graham, Daniel Rioli and Shai Bolton.

The Tigers have told Gold Coast they do not want to part with Rioli, but talks will ramp up over the next couple of weeks.

The Eagles are ramping up their assessments of coaching candidates this week and could be in position to make an announcement by the preliminary final in a fortnight.

It would allow the new coach to sit with recruiting targets such as Graham and Baker in Grand Final week before the free agency window and trade period opens the following week.

The new coach will help devise a new football strategy and will play a key role in the club’s desire to re-sign Harley Reid in the face of enormous interest and potential mega 10-year offers from Victorian clubs.

The Eagles’ recruiting mission would be hurt if the club does not have a senior coach in place for the start of this year’s trade period, but West Coast is confident they will have their person by then.

Other candidates include Geelong’s Steven King, Western Bulldogs’ Brendon Lade and GWS Giants’ assistant Brett Montgomery.

Daly has parked all conversations with the Eagles until the end of Brisbane’s finals campaign to allow him to concentrate on helping the Lions go deep in September.

The club is comfortable with Daly’s decision to put aside a decision on his future until next month.

Collingwood is also looking for a new football manager and has been linked to Port Adelaide’s Chris Davies.

Daly would need to be replaced at Brisbane in the event he accepts the senior job as part of a restricted football department at West Coast.

Daly has been football boss at Brisbane, helping serve as Chris Fagan’s right-hand man, since 2020.

Getting a coaching director is long overdue.

Simmo talked about how much his role changed from football to admin over the years

It's little wonder we were successful early before turning to shit(amongst other things).

A head coach's primary focus should be coaching, not admin stuff

Paywalled but sounds like McQualter coach and Daly as maybe head of development or coaching director?

Don't mind it re: a coaching director role. We're the richest club in the league, any danger we started acting like it?

Schofield’s ranking is

1. King
2. Montgomery
3. Schofield
4. McQualter
5. Lade
6. Daly

Doesn’t sound like he has any inside knowledge and the above is just what he thinks

By comparison, in the audio Goroyals22 posted, Duffield rated Lade and McQualter as the most likely options

It should also be noted that in his article, Duffield said there were 8 candidates but he was only able to confirm who 6 of them were, meaning there’s at least 2 others in the mix

In short, I think the club is still 3-4 weeks off making a decision and whilst they’re getting a shortlist together I don’t think they have a favourite as such. And they’re keeping their thoughts well and truly private

Which means anyone outside the selection panel is simply guessing who it might be

Schofield suddenly forget to name "Adrian Hickmott" at number 1.

View attachment 2100420

Splinters and rewriting other outlets’ articles - name a more iconic duo.
So if he came in as footy director/head of coaching

1 Gavin bells fate?

2. This speaks to the club not wanting a first time coach without mentoring/leadership/guidance. Someone like hinkley or horse wouldn't need to be overseen.

3 maybe Schofield is in with a shot.

4 I bet that's what the Buckley discussion were about, this specific type of role.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think we are as a board quite harsh in our assessment of Gavin Bell and as such I feel he is a bit of a victim of circumstances and situation.

While I do think he was thrust into some more senior management roles, earlier than he was ready for, I blame that on King Nissy.

The way King Nissy handled the whole Glass departure/Covid soft cap reshuffle left a lot to be desired, hanging on for one more year then another then another and another again, was counter productive.
IMO - King Nissy should have been tasked by the Board to find a suitable successor to himself a year before we moved to MRP from Subiaco. King Nissy should have been moved sideways from the CEO position and tasked with the relocation and facility build after which he should have hung up the boots.

I digress… back on topic .

R’OB should never have been placed in a situation whereby he had - one foot in list management and another foot as Senior recruiter, that to me was a blatant conflict of interests.
Additionally it removed one of the elements of effective checks and balances, the list manager should be the one holding the recruiters to account if they had a history of dud / bust picks.
It begs the question you can’t effectively audit your own work!
How was that left to happen?

The real worry for me ( admittedly from the perspective of being on the outside looking in ), is that if King Nissy allowed these tools of checks and balances to slip in this vital role, which is critical to ongoing success, that being - list management / recruiting relationship, then where else did the full accountability notion also fall short.
Checks and balances are an effective way to ensure standard are kept and performances properly assessed and reviewed.
Seems like King Nissy allowed credits in the bank to prevail in the management ranks.

Funny about that ……. where else at the Club have standards dropped ….., what’s that saying a fish rots from the head.

I think Bell has performed better this last 12 months.

I have faith and trust in Pyke to turn the ship around and if Bell continues to be placed in important senior roles under Pykes watch, then that allays any queries I have about him.

For the record I have no friendship or association with Gavin Bell, rather I suspect he is a loyal servant that has been made to look somewhat underwhelming as he has helped the Club ride out a perfect storm.
Admitting some of our woes have been self inflicted, so maybe not quite a perfect storm.

Additionally from my ( far too many now ) years in the corporate world, it’s my opinion that a CEO should not be in left in place more than 8 years, or else he/she and or the organisation becomes stale and looses its vitality.

And I think that’s a fair summation of what’s happened at West Coast as the once respected and on field powerhouse has become a cluster **** in everything else other than it’s financial standing and continued performances.

Old man shouts at clouds yearning for the good old days.

Time now, for a bex and a cup of tea. 😉

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reminds me of David Noble. What was the result?

Daly being talked about for a football director/head of coaching position reminds you of Noble being hired by North as senior coach?

I suspect Schoey's mail would be pretty good on issues the players are involved in due to his relationships with the players.

Appointing a new coach? No chance anyone relevant to those areas would speak to Schofield about this type of club business, given his role in the media. Would be instant dismissal areas I would have thought.

we are great at not leaking at the best of times, we are definitely not going to let the most important of all decisions get out.

Was David Noble head of the NM coaching team at the time?

What time?

He was the senior coach at North in 2021 and 2022. The position McQualter is apparently front runner for.

Head of coaching/coaching director is a different position, and not one we’ve had before.

What time?

He was the senior coach at North in 2021 and 2022. The position McQualter is apparently front runner for.

Head of coaching/coaching director is a different position, and not one we’ve had before.
I might have short memory and I don't recall WCE had a coaching director before.
When Nobel was the Senior/Head Coach at NM, NM did not have a coaching director. In fact Coaching Director is not a mandatory position in AFL teams. Only very few create this position. (It might be a position created to help young inexperience head coach).

I might have short memory and I don't recall WCE had a coaching director before.
When Nobel was the Senior/Head Coach at NM, NM did not have a coaching director. In fact Coaching Director is not a mandatory position in AFL teams. Only very few create this position. (It might be a position created to help young inexperience head coach).

Correct.

So why are you reminded of Noble now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back