Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

I strongly disagree. The comp is super weak these days, a team needs a few stars across different lines and tactical innovation can get them far. Look at Richmond threepeat or Pies 2023.

Our spine is good, we need a boost in the middle and some outside run (which can easily be traded in). Get Harley to his potential in a couple of years and we could easily be contending. Our squad is drastically underperforming with its talent.

So you think for the most part our list is pretty good just underperforming?

now I agree standards have dropped at our club but many of the players are not as good as our fans think they are.

We are miles away. How can you not see this?

Our KPD look pretty thin. Big Harry just starting to show signs he will be fit for purpose. Gov just about done and Barrass one bad landing from retirement. Our other tall backs (Bazzo, Jamieson et al) have shown very little.

We have zero. repeat 0 effective rucks.

KPF looks good. Over-stocked even.

Our spine is not sorted by any stretch IMO.

Plus we are short decent small/medium defenders and our midfield is a basketcase.

Having said that, we are better than what we are showing. Hopefully a fresh start and a season with some heart in 2025.

I strongly disagree. The comp is super weak these days, a team needs a few stars across different lines and tactical innovation can get them far. Look at Richmond threepeat or Pies 2023.

Our spine is good, we need a boost in the middle and some outside run (which can easily be traded in). Get Harley to his potential in a couple of years and we could easily be contending. Our squad is drastically underperforming with its talent.

I’m probably not as bullish as you - we need key backs (and general defenders), at least 1 more small forward, and mids (inc ruck).

But our forwards are below potential output due to limited supply. And mostly not-that-old. If we can get the ball in there quickly and regularly it goes a long way to winning more (not quite a groundbreaking statement I know).

Talent will help, but it is going to be a longer road back if a coach wants to build off turnover and transition rather than contest and clearance as the ‘1 wood’

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Gee, Sam Landsberger trying to push the 'Hird to WCE' narrative...

Victoria seems to have a never ending production line of dumb as **** journalists

He looks and sounds as dopey as what he says/writes

Honestly do you really think he is a bad coach and a drug pusher?
Hell if a footy brain that may be getting wasted??
I think he's spent far too much time out of the game and was simply a front for Sheedy anyway, when he was at Essendon.

Sure, he had a small stint at GWS but I'm unconvinced anything about his coaching history suggests WCE should even remotely be considering him.

I think he's spent far too much time out of the game and was simply a front for Sheedy anyway, when he was at Essendon.

Sure, he had a small stint at GWS but I'm unconvinced anything about his coaching history suggests WCE should even remotely be considering him.

I agree he has been out for a while now and would have to start as an assistant if he ever wanted to coach again.
I do t think he is the big bad wolf however.

I agree he has been out for a while now and would have to start as an assistant if he ever wanted to coach again.
I do t think he is the big bad wolf however.
I mean, what happened as Essendon was pretty shocking(Geelong 'lucky' to get away with it...) and I do find it pretty odd that he's seen as some messiah by some, yet his best season was when the players were taking PEDs and they still failed to win a final.

I'd want to see 5+ years of VFL coach/AFL assistant before he should be considered for any senior rule, at least.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our list is not “totally” rooted.
A.Reid is going to be a ripper.
H.Johnson will be B22
Hall? Don’t know yet.
Long looked like he belonged.
Hewett? Well he’s the enigma isn’t he?
Barnett? Doesn’t appear to be setting the world on fire but I really liked the endeavour he showed in his brief stint at the top.
NEWSFLASH!!- the rebuild IS underway !!

If the club really did want Hinkley then, assuming there are not personal/family reasons he won't leave Adelaide, you would think he would be gettable if they made a sweet enough offer.

He has one year left on contract in Adelaide. His annointed successor is already in place and may start agitating and threatening to apply for other jobs if the handover doesn't happen at the end of next year (just as Buckley forced Collingwood's hand). He is unpopular with the fan base and seen as an underperformer. The list he has is at the very least at, if not already past, it's peak and is not a premiership list, but the fanbase over rates it and thinks it is. In short, he likely has one year max left at that club after this year if he doesn't win a shock premiership.

At least here, even for all the problems we have and difficulties he would face, he would get a clean slate and a guaranteed minimum 3 years. In terms of career longevity and job security the job here would be safer than taking his chances staying at Port. But they would have to offer it to him on a platter with no process for him to have to go through first. And they may have to offer him more than 3 years, or at least an option for 4th and 5th year depending on KPI's.

So you think for the most part our list is pretty good just underperforming?

now I agree standards have dropped at our club but many of the players are not as good as our fans think they are.

We are miles away. How can you not see this?
Nah, the list needs work but some people are acting as if there's no talent there. I think this year showed just how bad our coaching had become. If we had a good coaching team, I don't see why we couldn't have won around 8 games this year.

Next year will be a development year as a new coaching panel gets bedded in, but with the natural development of the young talent we already have (yet alone what comes in 2024 and 2025 drafts), I'd expect we'd do a Hawthorn 2024 /Adelaide 2023 jump in 2026. Teams just don't stay down for much longer than 5 years in the AFL unless they get bogged in mid table purgatory (eg Brisbane, Carlton, North).

I also expect North to jump up the ladder a bit next year on a soft draw and young talent. They've been showing the signs in the back half of this season.

I think that that is very optimistic.

What do you mean "easily traded in"? Unless you are talking about FA's then everything else you get in you have to pay for with trading capital which is finite. You get what you pay for and you pay for what you get at the trade table. Nothing is free.

Harley is just one player and he is no more than a 50% chance to stay. If he goes hopefully we get compensated with multiple first rounders. But we will be back to square one and have to start developing those players from scratch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back