Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Geez, how far have we fallen where we're considering Hinkley as an option?
Crikeys. Not only an option but becoming one of the favourites.

Geez, how far have we fallen where we're considering Hinkley as an option?
Crikeys. Not only an option but becoming one of the favourites.

It's only Gossage who has said it, don't stress too much

The rest of the thread is debating who's the worst option put forward so far

(The answer is Hird by the length of Flemington)

Nah, the list needs work but some people are acting as if there's no talent there. I think this year showed just how bad our coaching had become. If we had a good coaching team, I don't see why we couldn't have won around 8 games this year.

Next year will be a development year as a new coaching panel gets bedded in, but with the natural development of the young talent we already have (yet alone what comes in 2024 and 2025 drafts), I'd expect we'd do a Hawthorn 2024 /Adelaide 2023 jump in 2026. Teams just don't stay down for much longer than 5 years in the AFL unless they get bogged in mid table purgatory (eg Brisbane, Carlton, North).

I also expect North to jump up the ladder a bit next year on a soft draw and young talent. They've been showing the signs in the back half of this season.

Much of the talent though has been operating in such low standards and in poor coaching for so long I am not sure they can adapt to a new world. Time will tell with that.
Definitely a lack of young talent and that is what we need to address.

I am surprised Darren Glass has not been mentioned before Hird. Both were out of the footy circle for some years.

To be honest, as a top 10 ticket holder in the #sackhinkley brigade. You could do worse. Ken's issue isn't that he's a poor coach. He's a good coach, he was a very good foundational coach in building a strong program. We've not finished below 10th in his tenure, we've made 3 prelims, we've made 3 reserves grand finals. All the foundations are there.

The problem with Port and Hinkley is that whilst he laid some ground work, he was clearly able to demonstrate he wasn't the man to take us to the ultimate prize and our club has never had the balls to accept that fate and seek the next coach who can build on the foundation and take us to the next level.

If your club has the gumption we didn't, he may well build a base that'll benefit a next coach for a long time, and from the outside it appears your club needs a fair bit of building up again. So in that sense he would be a good get, but you have to be brave and move on when the times right and not let him bleed the enthusiasm and hope out of the club, just teetering along being competitive without ever really challenging which is where we are, because our CEO and board believe stability equals success. An extremely flawed concept if the stability wasn't brought about because of success.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be honest, as a top 10 ticket holder in the #sackhinkley brigade. You could do worse. Ken's issue isn't that he's a poor coach. He's a good coach, he was a very good foundational coach in building a strong program. We've not finished below 10th in his tenure, we've made 3 prelims, we've made 3 reserves grand finals. All the foundations are there.

The problem with Port and Hinkley is that whilst he laid some ground work, he was clearly able to demonstrate he wasn't the man to take us to the ultimate prize and our club has never had the balls to accept that fate and seek the next coach who can build on the foundation and take us to the next level.

If your club has the gumption we didn't, he may well build a base that'll benefit a next coach for a long time, and from the outside it appears your club needs a fair bit of building up again. So in that sense he would be a good get, but you have to be brave and move on when the times right and not let him bleed the enthusiasm and hope out of the club, just teetering along being competitive without ever really challenging which is where we are, because our CEO and board believe stability equals success. An extremely flawed concept if the stability wasn't brought about because of success.
The Sack Hinkley thread on your board is a certified legendary thread in my book hahah

But yea - we need a coach to even just help us develop, we’re a bit off questioning whether our coach can win us a flag (let alone a game at this rate)

I’m not as against Ken as most are. I’m just hoping we take our time and cast a wide net

If your club has the gumption we didn't, he may well build a base that'll benefit a next coach for a long time
The issue I see here is, what coach is going to want to take on that kind of role?

"Hey, we think you're good enough to get us pointed in the right direction, then once you've done the hard yards, we'll get rid of you and bring in someone else to reap the rewards"

Yet some still sprout Woosha who was the coach and in firm knowledge of the drugged players he was coaching????
Except Woosha didn’t instigate it and oversee it and whilst the response was poor, WC went to the AFL about it who pushed it back on West Coast. One was player instigated recreational drug abuse, the other a systemic cheating of the system and cover up.

That said, Hird took the hit but was not the only one to blame. He has done his time but would need to prove himself again. His record isn’t great though.

The issue I see here is, what coach is going to want to take on that kind of role?

"Hey, we think you're good enough to get us pointed in the right direction, then once you've done the hard yards, we'll get rid of you and bring in someone else to reap the rewards"
Roos

Hinkley in a 3 year development role with a transition to a football operations manager afterwards makes sense.

AFL premierships are incredibly difficult to win, him not winning a flag is not an indicator of his coaching ability. A 60% winning record over 12 years is impressive. I appreciate Port fans are frustrated at their lack of success and its probably time for the parties to part ways, but he's certainly not a failed coach.

Except Woosha didn’t instigate it and oversee it and whilst the response was poor, WC went to the AFL about it who pushed it back on West Coast. One was player instigated recreational drug abuse, the other a systemic cheating of the system and cover up.

That said, Hird took the hit but was not the only one to blame. He has done his time but would need to prove himself again. His record isn’t great though.

Of course he didn't but he knew about it and let it slide because he was winning games.
Anyway agree on hird he needs to start at the bottom again.
I think we all know Hird won't be in consideration

Whatever happened to Scarlet?
Wasn't he and Ling meant to be like ultra smart footy wise and primed to get into coaching?
Sure Scarlet was talked about having the potential to be a great coach.
Was never one for the media or anything so maybe didn't like the idea of been a focus I guess.

Going to be interesting as finals roll around and some seasons come to an end to see what names start popping up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back