Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Australian rules is probably more complex than any other sport, 18 v 18, more rules than other sports, rules constantly changing. The reason AFL chases younger coaches over coaches deep into their 60s is likely that the game evolves so quickly, older coaches are less able to keep up. Basic fundamentals may stay the same but everything else is markedly different from football in the 90s or 00s. That’s not to say some older coaches won’t be able to adapt but it would be far fewer than in other sports.

Some will adapt, some can’t.

It’s pretty much what happened to Peter German at perth last week which caused him to quit or be sacked… story goes after Perth turned their toes up in the last quarter German went berserk and throw a chair and broke a white board… the players said no thank you and off he went. ..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It’s pretty much what happened to Peter German at perth last week which caused him to quit or be sacked… story goes after Perth turned their toes up in the last quarter German went berserk and throw a chair and broke a white board… the players said no thank you and off he went. ..

Tough love still exists in footy, it’s just done differently now. Being able to challenge players output but keep them invested is the key. All players are still different and all react differently.

Didn’t I hear that Jimmy Bartel has told GWS he’s leaving at seasons end - would he be worthwhile approaching either as midfield or forwards coach as when listening to him he appears to have a good football brain and like what he has to say when analysing different teams on a couple of different footy shows he appears on. Another one I like is Mark Stone who has been an assistant at a few different clubs including both our local teams and is presently one of the coaches at the Perth FC I believe as like his analysis of the game as well when listening to him in the media.

Seems a type that'd be odds on as an assistant to strike up an unlikely friendship with Rayne Bryant and be heading back east within a 2 seasons, but if he can smack a gatorade it bodes extremely well.

Australian rules is probably more complex than any other sport, 18 v 18, more rules than other sports, rules constantly changing. The reason AFL chases younger coaches over coaches deep into their 60s is likely that the game evolves so quickly, older coaches are less able to keep up. Basic fundamentals may stay the same but everything else is markedly different from football in the 90s or 00s. That’s not to say some older coaches won’t be able to adapt but it would be far fewer than in other sports.

Suma coached the Wa State 18’s to a Championship win in 2020 in his most recent coaching role..

Have we considered that they’re fine with trading off being ‘just’ an assistant coach for the time being with reasons unrelated to football? A sick parent, a kid at a crucial stage in schooling, things that exist outside of moving your world across the country to kick a ball around, as they’ve each said?

Let’s say you’re an in demand assistant coach and your kid is in Year 11….you’re probably going to be as in demand two years from now when they’ve graduated, and you don’t need to move your family across the country or move alone and leave them behind to get it done. Might be a better time for you then, because the world exists outside of football.

Nobody owes us their time as coach of the footy club we happen to like.

If you're from Melbourne and your kids in yr 11 you absolutely leave that little shit behind, club plays in Melbourne every second week and year 12 is like 6-7 months of the year contact hours wise. We're talking a pay rise measured in the hundreds of thousands of dollars here. I'd disown my parents if they treated my inheritance funds with this kind of reckless sentimentality.

Ah, we’re back to the “world’s gone woke” part of the coaching cycle I see.

Imagine how hard an AFL locker room would piss itself if some old geezer smashed a chair during a rev up.

That’s why white board dusters and markers are better projectiles in this day and age.

If you're from Melbourne and your kids in yr 11 you absolutely leave that little shit behind, club plays in Melbourne every second week and year 12 is like 6-7 months of the year contact hours wise. We're talking a pay rise measured in the hundreds of thousands of dollars here. I'd disown my parents if they treated my inheritance funds with this kind of reckless sentimentality.

We have a maximum of six games in Melbourne in a 23-game season.

You can't disown them cause they f**ked off to the other side of the country and disowned you already

Suma coached the Wa State 18’s to a Championship win in 2020 in his most recent coaching role..

Junior football is played more traditionally, more one-on-one than AFL. That said, I’m not making a comment on Suma specifically, just why there is probably a tendency towards younger coaches.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gerard Whateley on Crunch Time just had a mini clip at the assistant coaches for not wanting to get in the mix for the Eagles coaching job. 'What ever happened to backing yourself in and having a crack' pretty much echoing what Clarko said yesterday on SEN. The richest, most resourced club in the land with only 18 spots available and like two being made available every year. Why wouldn't you have a go at it?!

My sentiments exactly.
I suspect when mad Monday start for any assistant who has said he wasn't going to go thru the process is the day we find out a few of them were playing the politics.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

You can't disown them cause they f**ked off to the other side of the country and disowned you already.

I mean I'd expect mum to stay behind at least part time, who's going to do the laundry and prepare my meals in this scenario? I've got study to do! It's the most important year of my entire life! Thanks for tripling my allowance though dad, and I'll see you every couple of weeks when I come into the rooms to get selfies with Harley for my socials.

I mean I'd expect mum to stay behind at least part time, who's going to do the laundry and prepare my meals in this scenario? I've got study to do! It's the most important year of my entire life! Thanks for tripling my allowance though dad, and I'll see you every couple of weeks when I come into the rooms to get selfies with Harley for my socials.
Figured you were a mummy's boy

Figured you were a mummy's boy

Lol, my mum made me start doing my own laundry when I was 11 and her cooking is that bad I taught myself to cook not long after that as well. Ever seen the book, "A little neglect goes a long way: The boomers guide to parenting." No? Well that's because she can't figure out how to use the computer but it was once her favourite catch phrase. Stopped saying things like that in the mid 2000's when the millennials at her work started having kids and didn't have the stomach for 1980's parenting strategies. Was always jealous of the mommy's boys tbh.

Lol, my mum made me start doing my own laundry when I was 11 and her cooking is that bad I taught myself to cook not long after that as well. Ever seen the book, "A little neglect goes a long way: The boomers guide to parenting." No? Well that's because she can't figure out how to use the computer but it was once her favourite catch phrase. Stopped saying things like that in the mid 2000's when the millennials at her work started having kids and didn't have the stomach for 1980's parenting strategies. Was always jealous of the mommy's boys tbh.
Pfft, that's nothing, by the age of 7 I had mastered the art of microwaving polony and cheese!

Energy from the coach doesn't always work. Germo might have finally lost it though after another pathetic Perth season.
I always found the pre game circle jogging 'give me 3! Give me 2, 1, 2!" ramp up with the boys in the changerooms to be all fluff. A lot of the boys would be all charged up and cross the boundary line amped up but would fall short when it came time to hit the contest. Every ones different though.

Wasn't overly popular with the playing group tho. Well at least in the year Elijah Taylor was in the team. Whichever year that was.

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Some sanity/nice words from clarko in the Age Eagles’ coaching job the ‘plum’ role of AFL: Clarkson

Alastair Clarkson has described West Coast’s senior coaching role as the plum job of the competition, saying he would have jumped at the role if he was still an assistant.

Former Richmond caretaker Andrew McQualter, GWS assistant Brett Montgomery and Bulldogs assistant Brendon Lade are still in the running.

The fact West Coast are still amid the biggest rebuild in the club’s history may be a factor in assistants from around the country being hesitant to apply for the role.

Clarkson, who won four flags at Hawthorn and is now North Melbourne’s coach, urged assistant coaches around the country to throw their hat in the ring.

“That’s the plum job in the competition. God, how could you want anything better?” Clarkson told SEN.

“They’re a really historically successful side, really well financed and supported, and they’re just going to go up.

“I’d be grabbing that as quickly as I could if I was an assistant coach out there.

“They’re the best resourced club in the competition.”

Big day for Jarrod Schofield.

Win today and the media will treat it as fait accompli…but lose to a brave, heroic and undermanned Carlton team…and they’ll be right off him.

Probably cop an ‘article’ with Jack Reiwoldt pumping up McQualter’s tyres on a Fox Footy panel show by Tuesday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back