Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't mind King - sounds like a good operator.

Not convinced W.Schofield has any genuine mail at that level though.

Doesn’t sound like we’ve had any prospective coach present to the board (or whoever it is they present to) yet so talk of a candidate being appointed as soon as their team is out of finals seems premature

Really like Enright but I reckon he is firmly in the “wrong time, wrong place” camp. Young kids, both he & his wife have businesses in VIC. He’d be hard to move, but hey, here’s

Pretty definitive from Schofield this time
Well hopefully Steven King is the Fire Starter

I am very underwhelmed with the idea of Stephen King. Would much rather Schofield if we're going for an assistant that's been kicking around.
An assistant who's been with us during our most pitiful run in club history? Nah thanks, fresh eyes please. Adam Simpson was a newish assistant when we took him on.

Doesn’t sound like we’ve had any prospective coach present to the board (or whoever it is they present to) yet so talk of a candidate being appointed as soon as their team is out of finals seems premature
Yeah the constant stories of "xyz is the front runner" don't really make sense to me because the club themselves wouldn't even have a front runner as a large amount of the candidates wouldn't have been able to present yet.

An assistant who's been with us during our most pitiful run in club history? Nah thanks, fresh eyes please. Adam Simpson was a newish assistant when we took him on.
I just want the best person for the job whether he’s an outsider or not as who is to say an outsider coming in would be any better than Schofield. I just put my trust in Pyke and others to select the best fit for where we are at.

I just want the best person for the job whether he’s an outsider or not as who is to say an outsider coming in would be any better than Schofield. I just put my trust in Pyke and others to select the best fit for where we are at.
This

I find it interesting how some already have an idea in their head about which of the reported candidates would be good for the job and which ones we shouldn’t go near.

Outside of looking at an assistant’s past roles and seeing whether their team was good at the time (which lets face it, is a pretty simplistic way to judge their ability), most of us punters have NFI about each candidate’s strengths and weaknesses, coaching style, personality, etc.

That’s what the selection panel has been spending the last few weeks getting information on - I’d say they would know better than anyone who’s the right fit for our group.

In this case I’m happy to back the club’s decision in - whoever they choose will be the end product of a long and informed decision making process.

I can't see someone with Danny Daly's experience wanting to report to Ding Dong Bell.
He should be a direct report to Don Pyke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This

I find it interesting how some already have an idea in their head about which of the reported candidates would be good for the job and which ones we shouldn’t go near.

Outside of looking at an assistant’s past roles and seeing whether their team was good at the time (which lets face it, is a pretty simplistic way to judge their ability), most of us punters have NFI about each candidate’s strengths and weaknesses, coaching style, personality, etc.

That’s what the selection panel has been spending the last few weeks getting information on - I’d say they would know better than anyone who’s the right fit for our group.

In this case I’m happy to back the club’s decision in - whoever they choose will be the end product of a long and informed decision making process.

I do agree with this in general and think you're absolutely right on the early judgements - it's very hard to tell what an assistant coach will bring in totality.

However (and in fairness this is simplistic) would hope we give a slight weighting to coaches from outside successful systems - we've still got some experienced assistants and players + some recent leaders like Shuey and reportedly Hurn to keep existing positive culture traits going.

Like Simmo coming from the Hawthorn system, outside perspectives may be valuable in seeing the forest for the trees and being able to implement solid change, which I think most of us feel is needed. Knowledge of an excellent system like Geelong's with the drive to apply it to a different list with a unique spin on it I feel is valuable.

Know you weren't specifically advocating for Schofield in your post but for argument's sake, would personally hope if he wins the spot it be with the club seeing him as the better candidate even against the weighting of someone coming from a better system. If it truly was 50-50 (taking into account things like personality, style, strengths etc) would prefer we lean towards an outside perspective given our recent record.

This

Of course

Would make for a bloody boring thread though

I do agree with this in general and think you're absolutely right on the early judgements - it's very hard to tell what an assistant coach will bring in totality.

However (and in fairness this is simplistic) would hope we give a slight weighting to coaches from outside successful systems - we've still got some experienced assistants and players + some recent leaders like Shuey and reportedly Hurn to keep existing positive culture traits going.

Like Simmo coming from the Hawthorn system, outside perspectives may be valuable in seeing the forest for the trees and being able to implement solid change, which I think most of us feel is needed. Knowledge of an excellent system like Geelong's with the drive to apply it to a different list with a unique spin on it I feel is valuable.

Know you weren't specifically advocating for Schofield in your post but for argument's sake, would personally hope if he wins the spot it be with the club seeing him as the better candidate even against the weighting of someone coming from a better system. If it truly was 50-50 (taking into account things like personality, style, strengths etc) would prefer we lean towards an outside perspective given our recent record.

Can you name one positive culture trait Luke
Shuey had at the club during his leadership??
His captaincy period was in line with the worst period in our clubs history so the culture he brought as a leader can get in the bin.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Was wondering when the Best and Fairest Awards are - October, perhaps? It's going to be a little strange this time round. I wonder if the new coach will be presented to the faithful on the night.

On another side note, I saw that TK was carrying a bung knee all year and could not train during the week - no wonder his output was down. OA was another in the same boat. The top 5 in the B+F will be interesting.

I'm cool with Steven King for the memes

Feel like Schofield was on a hiding to nothing being interim but deserves a chance.

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm cool with Steven King for the memes

Feel like Schofield was on a hiding to nothing being interim but deserves a chance.

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I feel like an outsider coming in for the head gig, and Schofield staying on as assistant, would be ideal.

But would understand if that wasn't to Schofield's tastes.

I feel like an outsider coming in for the head gig, and Schofield staying on as assistant, would be ideal.

But would understand if that wasn't to Schofield's tastes.

My perception is that existing assistants who apply for the senior job and miss out tend to leave but that’s without any research

I think he’s more likely to stay if it’s Montgomery or Lade since they’re both premiership teammates and he might be willing to work with them

If it’s King or McQualter then perhaps not. May depend on whether he’s willing to leave WA

But that’s a guess

Was wondering when the Best and Fairest Awards are - October, perhaps? It's going to be a little strange this time round. I wonder if the new coach will be presented to the faithful on the night.

On another side note, I saw that TK was carrying a bung knee all year and could not train during the week - no wonder his output was down. OA was another in the same boat. The top 5 in the B+F will be interesting.

B&F is on September 19 according to Duffield. Discussion on that is here

I am very underwhelmed with the idea of Stephen King. Would much rather Schofield if we're going for an assistant that's been kicking around.

King's appointment would result in pretty neck and neck WA AFL coaches battle in the (lack of) charisma stakes between him and Longmuir.

But Kingy would get the nod just by not having the WTF do I do now, can someone help me, inanimate rod look that JL gets when they get run down in the last quarter yet again.......

1725494082744.png

1725494280988.png

1725494197902.png
1725494412767.png

1725494213321.png

1725494429357.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back