• Lade

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hinkley

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 6 40.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

What has McQualter proven other than being able to caretake coach one of the best teams in recent memory to a mediocre record? Richmond overlooked him favouring Yze to rebuild the Tigers. We're in a similar position.
Simmo was knocked back from multiple head coach roles before we picked him, & you campaigners know what happened next...

Back your own process, and assess the candidate for fit against your values & context. Just because the tigers didn't pick him doesn't mean he's not worth picking.

I’m not necessarily advocating for McQualter but the ultimate reason for him missing out on the Richmond job was the Tiger’s want to get a fresh set of eyes in. Unfortunately, for McQualter that was the one thing he couldn’t do anything about

So it would be crazy to overlook him just because he missed the Richmond job

Oh My God Omg GIF by The Office

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need home and away wins.
And this guy is who you want?

He gets us H&A wins and then what? Hands the reigns to who?

And what makes you think he’d get anything out of our battlers? Excluding the #9

Don’t see the fascination you have with this guy.

Schofield is one of the more attractive candidates especially in relation to coaching his own team to sustained success at the lower level, something none of the other candidates have on their cv.
Also I was surprised at how well he spoke at the press conferences, not that that is all that important in itself although it does point to certain positive attributes he has.

However, on the downside he may have gone from favourite to outsider on the back of the two lamentable games at the end of the year. An insipid performance against a half strength Carlton although they had much more to play for and their strong midfield was still in tact, followed by the horror show at alphabet stadium which reached new lows in a period of record lows. To his and the team’s credit they limited the damage in the second half and two potential players were uncovered in the midfield in Hutchinson and Dewar.

Schofield’s involvement with and association with the club’s lowest period in its history does count significantly against him.
The idea of cutting ties with that shocking period and moving on to a new era definitely has appeal.
The decision is being made by people who have a lot more knowledge and experience than me so I have to trust that they will get it right. Little I can do about it anyway.
Even with our premiership sides in 92 and 94 we didn’t do too well at the Cattery and many of our sides after that - in fact think we have only ever won there on the one occasion in 2006 and even then had to come from 54 points down halfway through the third quarter, so before we even set foot there in the last game of the season knew we were on a hiding to nothing, particularly with no Guv and no Barrass.

Even with our premiership sides in 92 and 94 we didn’t do too well at the Cattery and many of our sides after that - in fact think we have only ever won there on the one occasion in 2006 and even then had to come from 54 points down halfway through the third quarter, so before we even set foot there in the last game of the season knew we were on a hiding to nothing, particularly with no Guv and no Barrass.

We were 5-2 there by the end of 1994. The two losses were 1987 and 1989. Won 4 straight from 1990-94 (didn’t play there in 1991)

Have gone 3-1-16 against them there since plus the loss to Sydney. The comeback win in 2006 is our only win there since 1999 from 15 visits

I think we are as a board quite harsh in our assessment of Gavin Bell and as such I feel he is a bit of a victim of circumstances and situation.

While I do think he was thrust into some more senior management roles, earlier than he was ready for, I blame that on King Nissy.

The way King Nissy handled the whole Glass departure/Covid soft cap reshuffle left a lot to be desired, hanging on for one more year then another then another and another again, was counter productive.
IMO - King Nissy should have been tasked by the Board to find a suitable successor to himself a year before we moved to MRP from Subiaco. King Nissy should have been moved sideways from the CEO position and tasked with the relocation and facility build after which he should have hung up the boots.

I digress… back on topic .

R’OB should never have been placed in a situation whereby he had - one foot in list management and another foot as Senior recruiter, that to me was a blatant conflict of interests.
Additionally it removed one of the elements of effective checks and balances, the list manager should be the one holding the recruiters to account if they had a history of dud / bust picks.
It begs the question you can’t effectively audit your own work!
How was that left to happen?

The real worry for me ( admittedly from the perspective of being on the outside looking in ), is that if King Nissy allowed these tools of checks and balances to slip in this vital role, which is critical to ongoing success, that being - list management / recruiting relationship, then where else did the full accountability notion also fall short.
Checks and balances are an effective way to ensure standard are kept and performances properly assessed and reviewed.
Seems like King Nissy allowed credits in the bank to prevail in the management ranks.

Funny about that ……. where else at the Club have standards dropped ….., what’s that saying a fish rots from the head.

I think Bell has performed better this last 12 months.

I have faith and trust in Pyke to turn the ship around and if Bell continues to be placed in important senior roles under Pykes watch, then that allays any queries I have about him.

For the record I have no friendship or association with Gavin Bell, rather I suspect he is a loyal servant that has been made to look somewhat underwhelming as he has helped the Club ride out a perfect storm.
Admitting some of our woes have been self inflicted, so maybe not quite a perfect storm.

Additionally from my ( far too many now ) years in the corporate world, it’s my opinion that a CEO should not be in left in place more than 8 years, or else he/she and or the organisation becomes stale and looses its vitality.

And I think that’s a fair summation of what’s happened at West Coast as the once respected and on field powerhouse has become a cluster **** in everything else other than it’s financial standing and continued performances.

Old man shouts at clouds yearning for the good old days.

Time now, for a bex and a cup of tea.

Not sure if this is the place to post this, but We should never have left Subi.what we did was akin to freo leaving for Cockburn and everything turned to shit after we left.

I don’t believe there weren’t other options around Subi/Wembley or a temporary home before returning to Subi.

Ah well we got Harley

Not sure if this is the place to post this, but We should never have left Subi.what we did was akin to freo leaving for Cockburn and everything turned to shit after we left.

I don’t believe there weren’t other options around Subi/Wembley or a temporary home before returning to Subi.

Ah well we got Harley
We won the flag the first year we left Subiaco..

The stadium's also a complete dive. Players were weight training in shipping containers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Coach for 2025

Back