Coach of Richmond - who is your choice

Remove this Banner Ad

Hardwick. As much as I'll hate to lose him from Hawthorn, he's too good to not be a senior coach. I'll be very surprised if we can hold on to him beyond this year, and he'd be perfect for Richmond. As others have said, he'd clean out the deadwood, introduce some hardness. I can see him doing to Richmond something like Clarko did to Hawthorn when he took over. Anyone who won't be around for the next flag anyway gets put up for trade.

He might get rid of Richo too. Richo will not win a flag with Richmond. He is not a great role model, or a great influence, or a great team-man. These are the kinds of hard decisions that Richmond need someone like Hardwick to make.

The problem is, though, they need someone to make a similar decision on their entire board. So, Richmond needs people like Hardwick, and it needs them at every level, not just as senior coach.

The problem is, though, they need someone to make a similar decision on their entire board. So, Richmond needs people like Hardwick, and it needs them at every level, not just as senior coach.
St. Kilda did a good job at this. The 'Footy First' faction took over with a new president, new board, new coach and with additional focus on onfield success. Sheedy's back, so maybe add KB and the rest of the past players.
Oh and if Stynes can do it why not Richo as president!

Agreed. Plough has not developed the talent he has drafted. He pigeon holes players. How often have you seen Reiwolt down back, to learn the game. Last week was a perfect opportunity - Caned by JMac so put him on Brown to find out how to play CHF. Give McGuane a run up forward and let him enjoy his footy for a short time. Always turns to his geriatrrics instead of having faith in his youth - where was Morton? Not a fan.
i agree. we need to play our players on the position we drafted them for, unless they start playing really good footy in another position. if we are going to try players in different positions do it at training in a mini match not in a game that is up for grabs.

he got droped not working hard enough, should come back in this week.

i reckon Sheeds as caretaker for the rest of the season, but must be told he is no chance to keep the job

Then any one of Hardwick, Hinkley or Longmire

Still think the Tiges have some good kids, wouldnt take too long to turn around there fortunes with some astute list management and a decent game plan

First up the decision has to be Plough's to make, whether he sees out the season or not, regardless of results.

If Plough falls on his sword then hopefully Sheedy will take on the job for the rest of the season ... then, if results serve and Sheeds actually wants the chance to continue then he should be given the job for 3 years. He developed lists with Essendon from scratch 3 times and was half way through his fourth when he was removed from Essendon (Knights is using Sheedy's list now and look at how they are coming on!) He is also a master trainer of coaches ... he can be grooming his own successors.

If he doesn't want the job I believe we need a strong personality, an established coach with a track record and who will rule with an iron fist. We cannot afford the luxury of trying to find a diamond in the rough like Roos or Clarkson ... we have been unsuccessful for far too long to play that game.

Shortlist: Sheedy, Matthews, Malthouse, Williams, Pagan ... in that order:mad:

I have a feeling Grant Thomas will get the job and the whole sacking thing from SEN etc is smoke screen so he can step straight in when Terry is let go in 2 weeks. ;)

My thoughts!

I have a feeling Grant Thomas will get the job and the whole sacking thing from SEN etc is smoke screen so he can step straight in when Terry is let go in 2 weeks. ;)

My thoughts!

I do hope you are wrong! Thomas is the only ex-coach I can think of who makes Wallace look good. My thoughts on deciding between the two of them...hmm, frying pan...fire???:p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He would whip those players into line, bigtime.....
That is true, Matthews when angry is actually ANGRY. Something we really do miss with Wallace coaching.

We just seem to constantly get second hand coaches that were amazing at their first club but unravel when they start leading the tigers.

Deep down I just want a hard fresh faced ex-player to take over the job. Someone that actually had balls when they were playing, someone that will get stuck into poor performing players and someone who will give us a game plan that is not just kicking across the ground and backwards.

This thread shouldn't just be about Wallace though, the whole coaching panel need to go. I cannot pick one part of the tigers game that is working effectively. Big changes need to happen in that coaching box really soon.

mm. thats not nice.

Matthews would be a coach at his 3rd club. The prior 2 he has had premierships with. I think he is worth a look at for you guys.

and they need to be whipped into shape imo. a tough task master.
Celtic constantly trolls the Richmond board saying much the same unnecessary crap, never actually putting any input into the topic, posts purely to insult the tigers. I have no time for him unfortunately

Back on topic, you are right, it certainly could not hurt giving him a look at, things could not really go any worse then they are now anyway :p Out of any of the older coaches in the mix I would put him as my first choice ahead of Sheedy and Malthouse any day :thumbsu:

The best thing about Matthews is that the tigers can't give him any extra grey hairs like we so often give to our coaches :D

Hardwick. As much as I'll hate to lose him from Hawthorn, he's too good to not be a senior coach. I'll be very surprised if we can hold on to him beyond this year, and he'd be perfect for Richmond. As others have said, he'd clean out the deadwood, introduce some hardness. I can see him doing to Richmond something like Clarko did to Hawthorn when he took over. Anyone who won't be around for the next flag anyway gets put up for trade.

He might get rid of Richo too. Richo will not win a flag with Richmond. He is not a great role model, or a great influence, or a great team-man. These are the kinds of hard decisions that Richmond need someone like Hardwick to make.

Agree on all points. Good post.

Celtic constantly trolls the Richmond board saying much the same unnecessary crap, never actually putting any input into the topic, posts purely to insult the tigers. I have no time for him unfortunately

Back on topic, you are right, it certainly could not hurt giving him a look at, things could not really go any worse then they are now anyway :p Out of any of the older coaches in the mix I would put him as my first choice ahead of Sheedy and Malthouse any day :thumbsu:

The best thing about Matthews is that the tigers can't give him any extra grey hairs like we so often give to our coaches :D

He had a point about Richmond being damaged goods for any prospective coach, your record of treating coaches is not too flash is it.

No idea why anyone would want malthouse to be honest. matthews is a far better coach and has a far better record that Malthouse.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach of Richmond - who is your choice

Remove this Banner Ad

Back