News Coaching Thread: The Hardwick Era

Remove this Banner Ad

Dusty is an absolute superstar who worships the ground dimma walks on, having someone like that will improve standards in the club and set the example of buy in. I don't want to become richmond 2.0, I think there's a chance players resent that but having dusty for a couple of years in the forward line lacing out our key fwds would be nice. A player like that just makes you want to be better and makes you walk taller. The trouble is, is our window in 2 years? The club must believe it is to sack Dew when they did by not making finals this year. I'm not sure. I still hold concern over Sam Collins, Dave Swallow, Brandon Ellis, Nick Holman and I see the criticism of Pendels atm and I think if any of those journos cared enough for this club the same questions would be asked of the senior leaders at our club. If I put my tin hat on, I think the reason the afl media don't ask questions of these guys is because they are quite happy to watch us suffer down the bottom.
I think Holman, Ellis and Swallow are all on the out, slowly. It just depends if the club recognises this. We were prepared to put Ellis in the VFL at times. Are we prepared to do the same for some Suns favourites?

Holman is probably the first one I’d be looking to replace. A classier forward would greatly improve the team, IMO. Imagine if we had a player like K. Pickett instead—same amount of tackles, more than twice as many goals… That’s a couple of wins right there. Someone like Dusty may offer similar value, but for a short time only.

I'd be in favour of that as well. Liam Henry would be a great addition and potentially plugs a hole in our list. Could the same mechanism be used to secure Dusty? Wouldn't surprise me even if people don't agree with him being worth a late first rounder. One thing is for sure and that is we're definitely trading pick 4. Like you suggested, this is where Dimma needs to step up and make some phone calls over the next few weeks to ensure we get maximum return for pick 4.
I could see a late first, been paid for Dusty if Richmond paid ALL of his salary, but even then I think it’s a stretch.

He’s should end his career as a Richmond star not spend a couple of years anywhere else.

I could see a late first, been paid for Dusty if Richmond paid ALL of his salary, but even then I think it’s a stretch.

He’s should end his career as a Richmond star not spend a couple of years anywhere else.
Surely, Tigers will not pay 1.4M. If some crazy trade(s) do happen, who are we going to blame now? Still Cameron or Hardwick or both? :p Interesting times.

Surely, Tigers will not pay 1.4M. If some crazy trade(s) do happen, who are we going to blame now? Still Cameron or Hardwick or both? :p Interesting times.
I will blame whomever is the architect of the trade, as I should. It’s called having an opinion.

The Bowes and pick seven trade as it stands, goes down as one of the most brain-dead trades of all time, and the fault of that falls squarely on Camerons shoulders.

I will blame whomever is the architect of the trade, as I should. It’s called having an opinion.

The Bowes and pick seven trade as it stands, goes down as one of the most brain-dead trades of all time, and the fault of that falls squarely on Camerons shoulders.
It was not meant as criticism. But it does look like Cameron stays and no doubt Harwick will be shaping the list as Dew did. All those important decisions go through a committee and are approved by board.

Now with salary cap seemingly in order for the first time like ever and no more crazy concessions, I may even join you in criticism if Suns make a crazy trade.

Last edited:

Could you look at it like a Hodge to Brisbane situation? Hodge's best years were clearly at Hawthorn but I don't think anyone would deny he had a big influence on their playing group in the two years he was there and they looked like they played more confidently/with belief with him in the line up. Dusty could have a similar influence on our playing group even though he's not 2017 Dusty.

Could you look at it like a Hodge to Brisbane situation? Hodge's best years were clearly at Hawthorn but I don't think anyone would deny he had a big influence on their playing group in the two years he was there and they looked like they played more confidently/with belief with him in the line up. Dusty could have a similar influence on our playing group even though he's not 2017 Dusty.
I don't know if it's a good comparison. Hodge was a born leader on the field and could extend his career as a general in defence. Martin on the other hand looks like he forgot to speak and can only play forward/mid. History of soft injuries is a worry for me.

Still probably worth to bring him in if it's on reasonable terms (trade value, contract) which I doubt.

I don't know if it's a good comparison. Hodge was a born leader on the field and could extend his career as a general in defence. Martin on the other hand looks like he forgot to speak and can only play forward/mid. History of soft injuries is a worry for me.

Still probably worth to bring him in if it's on reasonable terms (trade value, contract) which I doubt.
This is the make or break and I have zero faith we will pull that off if we get him.

For those of you that remember my conversation with Mark Evans last year, he made it clear that dusty was one of the players that was keen to come, I’m certainly not against it but it has to be on terms that work for us. What I mean by that is, he’s not going to be part of the premiership side for us, so either a late pick as in what happened with Sam Mitchell or something more substantial to the Tigers if they pay his wage. Can’t see that happening so I think we should just pass.

DIMMA MUST ADD RUTHLESS EDGE TO THE SUNS

Damien Hardwick would have been excused for having a smile on his dial early on Saturday afternoon as he watched his former greats Trent Cotchin and Jack Riewoldt farewell the game in style at the MCG.

Sitting in the stands, fresh from his European summer sojourn, Dimma might have even caught a glimpse at the early ‘around the ground’ scores from up north which were appearing on the MCG scoreboard.

Hardwick, who will be appointed as the Suns’ senior coach potentially as early as Monday, might have been a bit excited to see his future team go 40 points in front of Carlton.

In fairness, it could have been more, as the Suns blew a gilt-edged chance to deliver a blow to the Blues.

Some ill-discipline, some missed shots at goal (which the Blues replicated in the third term) and a bizarre 100m penalty left the door ajar for Carlton and Charlie Curnow.

This was a game the Suns should have - and could have - won with some composure. Instead, it was an ‘almost game’ and a tough missed shot from Noah Anderson in the dying moments meant the Blues were able to hold on.

Hardwick has plenty to work with when he starts his new gig. The Suns have a plethora of talent, and they will have three exciting Academy kids coming through the door next season.

But the one thing he has to add to the Suns - and it has been missing for their entire existence - is a sense of mongrel, a real ruthless edge.

Dimma’s the right man for it, and if the Suns can embrace that, they can be a force soon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone heard anything about when Dimma will be announced? It needs to be soon if we are any chance of retaining Flanders. I know the media have said as early as Monday but if that was the cases press conference would of been announced
I had heard it will be on the eve of our final game… counting on Thursday/Friday this week.

Anyone heard anything about when Dimma will be announced? It needs to be soon if we are any chance of retaining Flanders. I know the media have said as early as Monday but if that was the cases press conference would of been announced
Flanders would know Dimma is coming in. If Flanders leaves he would off already made his mind up. Let's just hope he want's to stay.

Flanders manager would be asking him to hold off as the $$ are increasing by the week.
More like he is either trying to renegotiate with whoever he has been talking to over the last 6 months or fielding new offers of which hopefully we are one.

If he does leave which seems likely, who steps in next year? Davies, Hollands, other?

More like he is either trying to renegotiate with whoever he has been talking to over the last 6 months or fielding new offers of which hopefully we are one.

If he does leave which seems likely, who steps in next year? Davies, Hollands, other?
I would expect Humphrey to spend more minutes in the middle after a full pre-season.

Flanders much more likely to stay than Hollands. Club happy to wash their hands of Elijah if they can get some value coming back.

Why likely?
Most media reports has him likely staying.
History states that when a out of contract player gets to this point of the season, they are gone, the only thing in our favour is Dimma may turn him around

Flanders much more likely to stay than Hollands. Club happy to wash their hands of Elijah if they can get some value coming back.
Much more likely based on what exactly? A few media speculations.

One is contracted the other isn’t, we have final say on Hollands not on Flanders, we can only hope.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Coaching Thread: The Hardwick Era

Remove this Banner Ad

Back