Coalition refuses to commit to Kangaroos

Remove this Banner Ad

The reality of politics is that we have to wait for it to be costed and put into the budget, so it's probably going to be another year.

It'll probably be saved up for an election promise next election, so 4 years away.

What is the status of the Kardinia Park upgrade now that it apears that Australia won't be hosting the 2020 WC?

Was this upgrade linked to this or was there going to be a secondary upgrade if the WC came to town?

I still think we have already secured funding for stage 3 of the re development which is at the northern end of the ground. I think the world cup meant the whole ground would be done.

What is the status of the Kardinia Park upgrade now that it apears that Australia won't be hosting the 2020 WC?

Was this upgrade linked to this or was there going to be a secondary upgrade if the WC came to town?

Im pretty sure the geelong one is a go ahead even if we dont get the WC. Labor's policy was only if we get the WC but Teddy's policy was upgrading regardless.

The Liberals are likely to drop Eureka!!!!

Ballarat's bid to host AFL matches could be over after new Victorian Premier Ted Baillieu said the Coalition would not honour Labor's $30 million commitment to the redevelopment of Eureka Stadium.

Mr Baillieu said the Coalition Government would be more focused on upgrading other areas of infrastructure in the Ballarat area.

Labor had promised $25 million to upgrade Eureka Stadium to AFL standard, with a further $5 million for major events in the region.

“It’s not a commitment from the Baillieu-Ryan government,” he told MTR.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...ding-is-unlikely/story-e6frf9jf-1225963806299

:mad::mad::mad::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

It's time to get WANM, The Roosistence and Ballarat interests activated and picket Baillieus office!!!

Mr Baillieu said Ballarat City Council, who have been working on the proposal for 18 months, had now reprioritised their agenda.

Oh really? Does anyone have the Hobart Mayors number?

Re: Ballarat - Thanks Ted

Main thing is the AFL are keen, they will be pushing for this. The Libs are likely to to be keen to be seen in partnership AFL, footy rates higher in most people's lives then politics.

It's a 4 year political cycle, so even if this doesn't get fix up now it will be on the agenda in the not too distance future - but I still think we will see anouncement in the new year that work will begin in Ballarat to facilitate to playing of AFL games in 2012.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Enemy No.1 is definately Baillieu.
He has destroyed our hopes and dreams of North becoming a viable club in the future and I hate him for that.

Chill folks. What have the Libs got to loose on this one?

The idea has received wide support in the media, the football community and regional Victoria. It has the backing of the AFL and a commitment form all parties involved. It would provide an economic boost to two seats that the Libs narrowly won after large swings from Labor so what better way than making gains on those numbers by supporting the deal? And it's not like they will receive flack from the Labour party for wasting money as it was their idea in the first place.

They are just going to let the election dust settle, figure out the lay of the land, re-brand the idea as theirs and then provide the funding.

Anybody know how to tie a noose?

I'm wearing one as a tie around the office today. Copy this:

noose_tie.jpg

I can’t believe some normally pretty sharp people are so naïve to think that the first thing a new government would do is implement an opposition promise. FFS. That doesn’t mean they’ve binned it.

Read everything Ted B says: nowhere does he say it won’t happen. What he does say is their election promises will be lookd at first but that they are more than willing to sit down with the interested parties and discuss it at length.

Given one of the parties on our side is the AFL, this is a Good Thing.

(Aside from this, all Tories are ***** and I look forward to dismissing their pitiful pleas for mercy with a guttural laugh as me and my Russian friend Kalashnikov dispense some People’s Justice in the not so distant future.)

I don't think there is anything to worry about in reality.

If it's true that only Labor was approached about this and that the Liberal Party weren't then it's probably not a great start but everything is forgiven in politics if it buys votes.

The Liberals wouldn't have even seen costings on any of this stuff this early into their term so they aren't going to commit because there could be anything in there. I'm not saying there is but they aren't going to risk making themselves look like fools by trying to please people on day 2. People will forgive them pretty quickly when/if an announcement happens.

It's all politics now. If the Liberals really want this Ballarat thing to go ahead they aren't going to say okay lets do it, John Brumby was right, it's a winner. They will try negotiate for a bigger slice of games. If they can get 5 or 6 games, they will look like efficient operators compared to Labor. The best way to negotiate is by starting with the we don't really care attitude, it's no biggy to us. Ballarat and the Kangaroos have a lot more riding on this than the Liberals. However, its useful to them too.

They will play hardball for a while and try do a better deal for Ballarat. I think the comments "we're committed to bringing AFL to regional Victoria" are just as important as any non-commitments that have been made. Expect a play for Ballarat but they have a lot to figure out, assess, negotiate and then commit to over the next little bit so I genuinely believe it will happen.

Just give it time.

If we could find a positive out of this it would be now we have to fight, scratch and claw for that stadium to be upgraded and so will Ballarat. We need to continue to push our allignment to this region and show them how committed we are to making this happen. When AFL is finally played up there it will mean more to us and them and there will be no mistaking that this is not just a money grabbing venture.

The fight should bring us closer together. This is what we need, more real substancial connections with places. Not like the artificially crafted Sydney, Canberra, Gold Coast, and Hobart deals. In the long run pushing it back for a year may mean its impact is far greater. We need to side wholy with Ballarat now so when the games come we can all celebrate and embrace this venture as one entity. I think this is how we will win the region.

AngelEyes bang on the money again.

The AFL have rolled over on the no selling games internal principle.

The Libs are saying publicly they support AFL games in regional Vic.

We have the support of the local council and and a good relationship with the premiership winning VFL side.

It just needs to be re-cast from an ALP intiative to a Lib one. It will be delayed a bit, that's all.

Great interview on Harf with the Roosters CEO today - reiterated all the messages that have come from the NMFC about why this is a great concept for Ballarat and will continue to be pursued.

There are things the Libs bagged mercilessly in Opposition that they are going to decide to run with once they "have all the facts" in Government. This idea they aren't even against. Give it time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coalition refuses to commit to Kangaroos

Remove this Banner Ad

Back