Coalition refuses to commit to Kangaroos

Remove this Banner Ad

If we could find a positive out of this it would be now we have to fight, scratch and claw for that stadium to be upgraded and so will Ballarat. We need to continue to push our allignment to this region and show them how committed we are to making this happen. When AFL is finally played up there it will mean more to us and them and there will be no mistaking that this is not just a money grabbing venture.

The fight should bring us closer together. This is what we need, more real substancial connections with places. Not like the artificially crafted Sydney, Canberra, Gold Coast, and Hobart deals. In the long run pushing it back for a year may mean its impact is far greater. We need to side wholy with Ballarat now so when the games come we can all celebrate and embrace this venture as one entity. I think this is how we will win the region.

I agree. The worst thing that the club can do now is be seen to abandon the idea and the region.

We're now into day 3 of King Ted's reign and it should surprise no-one that Eureka is not his top priority. We could well be in for several months of uncertainty, so going public as often as possible to reinforce our support for the idea and the region can only be a positive. The association with NB is ideal in this regard.

The club can't be expected to control Ted's agenda but it would be good to hear something from the AFL along the lines of continued support for us in the region. If the media are looking for Demetriou I hear that he was last seen at Tullamarine hammering on the door of the Qantas Club, Fred Flinstone style.

I agree. The worst thing that the club can do now is be seen to abandon the idea and the region.

We're now into day 3 of King Ted's reign and it should surprise no-one that Eureka is not his top priority. We could well be in for several months of uncertainty, so going public as often as possible to reinforce our support for the idea and the region can only be a positive. The association with NB is ideal in this regard.

The club can't be expected to control Ted's agenda but it would be good to hear something from the AFL along the lines of continued support for us in the region. If the media are looking for Demetriou I hear that he was last seen at Tullamarine hammering on the door of the Qantas Club, Fred Flinstone style.

done dusted Gone !!!!over

Nobody really deals with political parties not in power, it is a waste of time.

You deal with whoever is in government, the only way I do not see this going ahead in some form is if this government is gun-ho about fixing the problem with Etihad/MCC where they siphon most of the money made from the games. It is because we don't have a clean stadium that Melbourne clubs are heading elsewhere.

Libs might prefer to put resources into fixing the cause of the problem rather than spending a lot of money on treating the effects.

Tas, could you run me through how the state government would sort out the stadium issues?

Thanks.

Nobody really deals with political parties not in power, it is a waste of time.

You deal with whoever is in government, the only way I do not see this going ahead in some form is if this government is gun-ho about fixing the problem with Etihad/MCC where they siphon most of the money made from the games. It is because we don't have a clean stadium that Melbourne clubs are heading elsewhere.

Libs might prefer to put resources into fixing the cause of the problem rather than spending a lot of money on treating the effects.

That's fine when an election is two years away but when you are in election mode, it's bad planning. The whole concept is great but it was in hindsight foolish to not even talk to the Liberals about it. Lets not forget one month ago, there were going to be seven games in Tassie so this while may have been roughly on the cards for a while was thrown together pretty quickly so it's hardly been finalised when the Labor party was in non-caretaker power.

The notion that "no one deals with parties not in power" is not true. Look at Geelong, they are getting a $25m investment thanks to the Liberal Party because they talked to them where Labor said no. That $25m could have been building a stadium in Ballarat but they were never even given to opportunity to commit to that.

The part that disturbs me is not that any party said yes/no is that the Liberal party weren't approached at all. Perhaps, I'm naive of the overall situation but there are not many things that the administration can be faulted on lately but this seems to be one. I don't know if its what you have to do in order or to achieve things, perhaps it was Labor's idea or its the club playing politics themselves. However, it to some extent has backfired. I'm sure it will happen its just now you are going to get the Liberals playing hardball.

Tas, could you run me through how the state government would sort out the stadium issues?

Thanks.

The state owns the MCG, it appoints the MCC to manage the stadium for the benefit of the sports bodies that use the ground, obviously they are failing in their duty to look after the football clubs.

I am not sure how much debt is left on the MCG from the redevelopment, but atm footy is subsidising the cricket on top of paying off the large bulk of the redevelopment. The government could change the people they have in place running the MCC or could even look at financial getting involved in terms of overhauling the overheads that fall the way of AFL clubs.

It is resulting in clubs not being compensated for the sporting events, events we know are worth quite a lot of money to other states for the worst of the games. Victoria stands to lose when these games go interstate or if the stadium mismanagement causes the loss of clubs.

When you compare the kind of benefits the Swans and Lions get by their similar state run stadiums it is light years difference.

Who knows, perhaps the libs might increase the pokie tax and put those funds towards paying off and the running of public sporting venues.

It is time the government put back into clubs as much as the clubs contribute to the state.

That's fine when an election is two years away but when you are in election mode, it's bad planning.

Brumby was talking up Ballarat and the expansion of Eureka for a long time before he was even in a position to commit any funding. It was simply not a policy of the Libs, approaching them would have been a waste of time.

Not saying that the Libs wont change their mind about Ballarat, but trying to get commitment for something that is not on their radar is neigh on impossible.

The whole concept is great but it was in hindsight foolish to not even talk to the Liberals about it.

Even if we talked to them, they would have been giving us the same lines they are giving us now. If they were open to this then we would have known about it via their involvement in the region but it wasn't something us, the council or the AFL picked up on. Besides, up until the last few days the Libs weren't really given a serious chance of winning.

Lets not forget one month ago, there were going to be seven games in Tassie so this while may have been roughly on the cards for a while was thrown together pretty quickly so it's hardly been finalised when the Labor party was in non-caretaker power.

I am not sure what the Tasmanian proposal has to do with Ballarat, sorry, I do not see the relevance of this point.

The notion that "no one deals with parties not in power" is not true. Look at Geelong, they are getting a $25m investment thanks to the Liberal Party because they talked to them where Labor said no. That $25m could have been building a stadium in Ballarat but they were never even given to opportunity to commit to that.

The difference was, the Libs were after marginal seats in the Geelong area, they were not after the Ballarat seats. You have to understand, opposition parties will only make commitments to projects they believe will win them seats, I don't think the Libs expected a 6% swing against Labor towards them, had they anticipated a move that large I am sure the two Ballarat seats would have come into play.

Besides, Bailleu is a Geelong supporter and he would know all about the kickback benefits if winning office. :p

Who knows, he may perceive that North in Ballarat might pose a risk to Geelong or draw support away from Geelong. Either way, he was never going to commit to Ballarat had we spoken to him. Just because you talk to people, doesn't mean they will all of a sudden deal with you.

The part that disturbs me is not that any party said yes/no is that the Liberal party weren't approached at all. Perhaps, I'm naive of the overall situation but there are not many things that the administration can be faulted on lately but this seems to be one. I don't know if its what you have to do in order or to achieve things, perhaps it was Labor's idea or its the club playing politics themselves. However, it to some extent has backfired. I'm sure it will happen its just now you are going to get the Liberals playing hardball.

Not trying to be insulting, but I do believe you are being a little naive. Libs didn't think they could win back the Ballarat seats, so they weren't on their agenda. Had we spoken to them we wouldn't have got much more than what we are getting now.

If the Libs were all over Ballarat the club, the council and the AFL would have known a long time ago and it would have been feasible to get a commitment from them.

It is all just a vote purchasing exercise.

Had the Libs in hindsight known how close they would have got to taking Ballarat then their attitude pre-election would have been different.

What did i say. This barstard brumby used us for votes. Did anyone see how quickly he agreed to the deal. It sounded too good. If something that sounds too good to believe it usually is.

Listen up sons and daughters of North Melbourne. We must take up drastic measures if we are to become a strong entity in afl. We can no longer trust the vic gov or the afl. We must find our own source of backing and that is China. China these days are becoming increasingly active in aus market, and afl is a big thing in aus. We need cash and someone big to fall back on, wot better is to have some country like china on our back.

They can control us better and we can get more money from them. If we can somehow link up with china, we in essence have the financial power to rival the afl. We can then move forward to monopolize the afl to our advantage.

What did i say. This barstard brumby used us for votes. Did anyone see how quickly he agreed to the deal. It sounded too good. If something that sounds too good to believe it usually is.

Listen up sons and daughters of North Melbourne. We must take up drastic measures if we are to become a strong entity in afl. We can no longer trust the vic gov or the afl. We must find our own source of backing and that is China. China these days are becoming increasingly active in aus market, and afl is a big thing in aus. We need cash and someone big to fall back on, wot better is to have some country like china on our back.

They can control us better and we can get more money from them. If we can somehow link up with china, we in essence have the financial power to rival the afl. We can then move forward to monopolize the afl to our advantage.

Everything re politics is a vote purchasing exercise.

We will have to wait and see what comes of the current environment. Worst case scenario is this just pushes the timing of the games back a while. It is important from our end that we do not give up. We need to keep pushing it hard at both state and federal level, quite often there is considerably conflicts in funding when there are different sides leading the state and federal governments.

Ie, the reason why MCG was poorly funded was because Howard pulled out of the funding of the MCG redevelopment and the Labor government at state level had to kick in more money.

There is still the potential to access much deeper federal pockets if we don't get state support, this would give Labor a significant advantage in regional Victoria for the next round of elections if they feel betrayed by the Liberals and supported by Labor.

Just remember, the Doggies got $20m from Howard for their redevelopment because there were some marginal federal seats in the area, what is a lot of money at state level is a drop in the ocean at federal level.

Everything re politics is a vote purchasing exercise.

We will have to wait and see what comes of the current environment. Worst case scenario is this just pushes the timing of the games back a while. It is important from our end that we do not give up. We need to keep pushing it hard at both state and federal level, quite often there is considerably conflicts in funding when there are different sides leading the state and federal governments.

Ie, the reason why MCG was poorly funded was because Howard pulled out of the funding of the MCG redevelopment and the Labor government at state level had to kick in more money.

There is still the potential to access much deeper federal pockets if we don't get state support, this would give Labor a significant advantage in regional Victoria for the next round of elections if they feel betrayed by the Liberals and supported by Labor.

Just remember, the Doggies got $20m from Howard for their redevelopment because there were some marginal federal seats in the area, what is a lot of money at state level is a drop in the ocean at federal level.

That's good and all but we need the money, now, RIGHT now. In this day and age, only money talks. Money is the only thing that matters, decency, moral righteousness, positive image, with no money to back them up, they are worthless. If the devil offers us money, we will take. If Bin Laden offers money, we will take. As long it is money we will take. We must move forward into an era of ruthless corporate management. Cut out all the weeds, make the org lean and mean. Our sole purpose is to maximize money. I dont care how we make the money, i would even destroy the club to make more money.

THis is why he GC no go pissed me off so much. In fact i have never forgiven JB for not going. 100 million gone man, 100 million. Not even the devil could get us so much money.

Bloody hell RadOne. :thumbsdown:

Originally Posted by Radical Roo
If Bin Laden offers money, we will take.

I can see it now. Euge live on FoxSports News at the grand unveiling of the signage for our new naming rights sponsor for the Arden St facilities.

"Al Qaeda Elite Training Complex"

Yup, that'd go down well.

Originally Posted by Radical Roo
THis is why he GC no go pissed me off so much. In fact i have never forgiven JB for not going. 100 million gone man, 100 million. Not even the devil could get us so much money.

Case closed! WTF? I can't be bothered going over this again.

2rzqx4n.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As Guru Bob would say when asked about the implications of the Coalition win derailing North's chances to play home games in Ballarat.

"1.5 billion people in China do not care."

You can call me wotever i don't care. But mark my word, i will one day take over this club and turn it into a force to be feared. I have had great hope for JB in that he can do what eddie mcguire did for collingwood and that was to turn a club on its knees into a club of power through new age corporatism.

I thought JB was a breath of new life for the kangaroos. But he in fact is someone who is unwilling to take the risk. Why he pretends to be this and that, he didn't take the opportunity that really mattered, hence we have to beg for scraps. We need someone who is ruthless, entreprenuerial and most importantly visionary. JB is non of it.

We must move forward and not look back. It doesn't matter what the difficulties or the consequences. If moving forwards means we have to lose the North Melbourne title of the kangaroos, so be it. Wot are we afraid of!? The more fear we have of losing the NM title the more restrictions we unnecessarily put upon ourselves. If we always have the threat of relocation hanging over our heads, how are we Kangaroos will look in other people's eyes?

So wot if we relocated. So wot if we becomes the Northern kangaroos based in darwin. Wots so bad about relocation. We do we suffocate ourselves in a city where there are already 9 other well established teams. Why don't we go somewhere with no AFL prescence. If you people are so called great kangaroo supporters, why cant you people open up your eyes. If our club is in trouble and in dire need of great overhaul, a real kangaroos supporter will stand up and do it regardless of the consequence.

You can call me wotever i don't care. But mark my word, i will one day take over this club and turn it into a force to be feared. I have had great hope for JB in that he can do what eddie mcguire did for collingwood and that was to turn a club on its knees into a club of power through new age corporatism.

I thought JB was a breath of new life for the kangaroos. But he in fact is someone who is unwilling to take the risk. Why he pretends to be this and that, he didn't take the opportunity that really mattered, hence we have to beg for scraps. We need someone who is ruthless, entreprenuerial and most importantly visionary. JB is non of it.

We must move forward and not look back. It doesn't matter what the difficulties or the consequences. If moving forwards means we have to lose the North Melbourne title of the kangaroos, so be it. Wot are we afraid of!? The more fear we have of losing the NM title the more restrictions we unnecessarily put upon ourselves. If we always have the threat of relocation hanging over our heads, how are we Kangaroos will look in other people's eyes?

So wot if we relocated. So wot if we becomes the Northern kangaroos based in darwin. Wots so bad about relocation. We do we suffocate ourselves in a city where there are already 9 other well established teams. Why don't we go somewhere with no AFL prescence. If you people are so called great kangaroo supporters, why cant you people open up your eyes. If our club is in trouble and in dire need of great overhaul, a real kangaroos supporter will stand up and do it regardless of the consequence.

Deary me............delusions of grandeur much?

You're right RadRoo, we're a bunch of lemmings, blindly following our even blinder leader in his NMFC bus off a cliff. Dumb as dog doodoo the lot of us!

You're the man :thumbsu:

Call me selfish......but I enjoy going to the footy and watching my team play

Better yet Radial Roo can capture Bin Laden, get the 50m reward and build a stadium at Arden St. We'll chip in for the statue :thumbsu:

Bullshit%20-%20Penn%20Jillette,%20%27STFU%27.gif

And if you want to barrack for a corporation then I suggest you spend a few hours here once a week.

asx_6.jpg

Is that you Onip?

Radical, I think you might be in line for the most idiotic post on Big Foot ever.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coalition refuses to commit to Kangaroos

Remove this Banner Ad

Back