Collingwood 2016 Pre-Season Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I would've though chips in a cone drowned in mayo would be enough!
Not special enough, Belgians do that too ( and very good too, I must admit ).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stringer's a freak so I don't believe either can do the job you think can be done on him, however between Toovey and Marsh I'm backing in the one with scope for improvement over the experienced head.

As evidenced by the last six weeks of 2015 Marsh is preferred so until we see proof otherwise the coaching group agrees with what I think.
Agree that few if any can handle Stringer. I sincerely hope Stringer has few injury interruptions the rest of his career. Like Ablett Snr before him, you find yourself just wanting the ball to go near him. Collingwood vs Doggies with Stringer booting 6 or 7 despite the doggies losing by 50 points would make for my perfect footy outing.

Marsh's last six weeks were spent replacing the Frost role, not the Toovey role (which we actually have no evidence of him being able to play).

I hope Marsh shows an ability to play in mediums and even smalls, but at this point he hasn't shown the agility on the field to be able to do it. If he does, he will be an extremely useful player to that backline.

I disagree. IMO, Frost's role was made redundant when Reid returned because like Toovey he doesn't do enough going the other way. It's up to him now to add another layer to his game to challenge Brown for the main shutdown KPD position.

Are you able to provide any specific examples where Marsh's agility has been exploited? Because the football I've seen from him indicates that it's one of his strengths and when coupled with his size, areal ability, speed, leadership (best talker at the club currently) and willingness to take the game on he's primed to slot into that shutdown and rebound role. Basically he has it over Toovey currently and only poor team selection or injury from here will see him, or Frost for that matter, move ahead.

I disagree. IMO, Frost's role was made redundant when Reid returned because like Toovey he doesn't do enough going the other way. It's up to him now to add another layer to his game to challenge Brown for the main shutdown KPD position.

Are you able to provide any specific examples where Marsh's agility has been exploited? Because the football I've seen from him indicates that it's one of his strengths and when coupled with his size, areal ability, speed, leadership (best talker at the club currently) and willingness to take the game on he's primed to slot into that shutdown and rebound role. Basically he has it over Toovey currently and only poor team selection or injury from here will see him, or Frost for that matter, move ahead.

Defensive balance and flexibility. Marsh hasn't shown he can play small. Toovey can do both. It remains to be seen whether Toovey can return to his best however. I do like Marsh but I feel you need that true third tall opponent to justify the selection.

Defensive balance and flexibility. Marsh hasn't shown he can play small. Toovey can do both. It remains to be seen whether Toovey can return to his best however. I do like Marsh but I feel you need that true third tall opponent to justify the selection.
Has he actually had the opportunity to show that at senior level yet though? I don't see why he couldn't given that speed and agility are strengths of his, particularly off the mark, he's one of the fastest players in the league.

Or defensive balance and flexibility. Marsh hasn't shown he can play small. Toovey can do both. It remains to be seen whether Toovey can return to his best however. I do like Marsh but I feel you need that true third tall to justify the selection.

To what level? Re-watch the Port, Hawthorn and Fremantle games and get back to me on whether he can still play on smalls.

He's 29 as of round 1 and has lost the zip that made him a great defender in his prime. At this very moment with 2015 as a guide I can't back Toovey in ahead of Marsh with where we are and where we need to get too as a club.

FWIW the player you're looking for to play on the smalls is Ramsay because he'll free Williams up to move further afield.

Marsh's last six weeks were spent replacing the Frost role, not the Toovey role (which we actually have no evidence of him being able to play).

I hope Marsh shows an ability to play in mediums and even smalls, but at this point he hasn't shown the agility on the field to be able to do it. If he does, he will be an extremely useful player to that backline.

I reckon Marsh would be fine on mediums. He's untested on smalls however. This is what Toovey has up his sleeve if he can return to his best. I hope he can. But I fear he's lost that critical yard of pace. Was it age or was he hampered by injury?

Has he actually had the opportunity to show that at senior level yet though? I don't see why he couldn't given that speed and agility are strengths of his, particularly off the mark, he's one of the fastest players in the league.

No he hasn't. I think its something we need to find out. Might be a good NAB experiment in fact.

Last edited:
To what level? Re-watch the Port, Hawthorn and Fremantle games and get back to me on whether he can still play on smalls.

He's 29 as of round 1 and has lost the zip that made him a great defender in his prime. At this very moment with 2015 as a guide I can't back Toovey in ahead of Marsh with where we are and where we need to get too as a club.

FWIW the player you're looking for to play on the smalls is Ramsay because he'll free Williams up to move further afield.

I'm with you on Tooveys drop in form last season. He did appear to lose some pace. But again, age or injury? Does he deserve a chance to return to his best?

I reckon Marsh would be fine on mediums. He's untested on smalls however. This is what Toovey has up his sleeve if he can return to his best. I hope he can. But I fear he's lost that critical yard of pace. Was it age or was he hampered by injury?
injury have way through the season and was not quite the same for the rest of the season.
l too are hoping he can get back to his best, but if not ramsay will do

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood 2016 Pre-Season Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back