Collingwood 2016 Pre-Season Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

And also he comes out with the finals statement. FFS can't they wait with that until they are 8-3 . Going to be an anxious season for all of us. Reputations on the line everywhere

Wanna hear something funny?

Go look at our draw. I reckon there is a VERY good chance we'll be 8-3 again this year. Hooooo boy that will be interesting to see.

Not really sure about his decline, but I don't think he's been quite the same post the knee injury. He definitely deserves a chance to return if he performs at VFL level and those ahead of him struggle or cop injuries.

Unfortunately though like O'Bree in 10 and Licuria in 08 (I think) there comes a time when every player is squeezed out of the best 22 and Toovey's time has come, IMO, on the back of the second half of 2015.

Yep. Toovey and Goldsack should definitely be the O'Bree and Lockyer of 2016.

There is a lot of good in this post, but if you think Edwards is elite and Treloar is not, you are sadly (or perhaps happily, given that you are a Pies supporter) mistaken. Treloar is on a different level to Edwards already and has far more untapped potential still. It isn't even close.

From what I've seen of Edwards, he does the flashy things well but isn't a consistently good, let alone 'elite' footballer. He's a B+ at best, no idea how it was determined that he's in the elite bracket.

From what I've seen of Edwards, he does the flashy things well but isn't a consistently good, let alone 'elite' footballer. He's a B+ at best, no idea how it was determined that he's in the elite bracket.

in 2015 he was consistently very very good. No point really arguing that, even has already seen it and established it.

If they're not it's an indictment on our youth really.

Guys like Broomhead Marsh Aish Ramsay Oxley have all been in the system a few years now and need to step up.

I think this is right. I don't think we should just replace the old with the new because of potential. It is up to the young breed to push players out, not be handed it on a platter.

I hope Marsh, Broomhead, Ramsey, Treloar, Aish, DeGooey, Maynard, Moore push Witts (or Grundy or White), Toovey, Blair, Goldsack out of the best 22 but only on form. We will be better if they do, but they must earn it on form, not gifted it on potential.

If they're not it's an indictment on our youth really.

Guys like Broomhead Marsh Aish Ramsay Oxley have all been in the system a few years now and need to step up.

Yeah this is the thing. We shouldn't need them. Either of them. I'd say our defence is actually the one area of the ground where we have some pretty damn good depth. Marsh, Ramsay, Sinclair, Willams, Langdon, Frost, Reid, Brown, Toovey, Goldsack, Maynard, Oxley plsu what will most likely be cameos from Pendlebury/Sidebottom etc and seriously, there is no reason why Toovey and Goldsack should be able to get games.

You can add Scharenberg to the list if he wasn't injured too.

I think this is right. I don't think we should just replace the old with the new because of potential. It is up to the young breed to push players out, not be handed it on a platter.
I hope Marsh, Broomhead, Ramsey, Treloar, Aish, DeGooey, Maynard, Moore push Witts (or Grundy or White), Toovey, Blair, Goldsack out of the best 22 but only on form. We will be better if they do, but they must earn it on form, not gifted it on potential.

Agreed - just as I trust that the 'older brigade' are not retained because of past glory.
Best form all round.

Well, at least he didn't break the finger while pulling it out...

Last edited:
lol that is a first.

So he can't run with his hot spot and now can't do much work with his hand with the broken finger. At least the broken finger should be right in a few weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

^^
Yep, agree whole-heartedly with the sentiments above.

True depth in a team, when there is fierce competition for spaces and everyone knows we bat deep, has more than just an on-field effect. It boosts a team's inner confidence, work ethic and pride, as well as putting doubts and fears into the minds of opposition teams.

I'm loving the depth we appear to have built. On paper we're looking very, very impressive. Now we get to see how we stack up in the real world.

Having Howe, Aish and Treloar on the list makes a huge difference and if one or two of our draftees can stand up the team will be that much stronger.

The flow on effect at VFL level is something we shouldn't ignore either. I think we're going to be a strong presence in the VFL which is a real positive. Competition for spots should be a driving force motivating the less established players. It should also keep the regular best 22 players on their toes too.

With the lower number of rotations being an unknown it helps having cover across the board. I'd love to see it result in Cloke being in more 1v1's as a dominant Cloke has ramifications across the board.

All in all I'm waiting in nervous anticipation for the season to kick off. Very confident about our chances this year.

Search results for #gopies

40m40 minutes ago
Collingwood FC ‏@CollingwoodFC
Meanwhile in Stawell, Brayden Maynard gives out directions to a group of lucky kids. #AFLCommunityCamp #gopies

2m2 minutes ago
MagpieBat ‏@MagpieBat
Well, on the bright side, at least he didn't injure the finger while pulling it out... #Howe #GoPies

5m5 minutes ago
Matt ‏@Mattys123
Jeremy Howe's dog must be talented, I mean to throw a frisbee at Jeremy so hard that it breaks his finger, that's freaky #GoPies

3h3 hours ago
Adam_Trolloar ‏@AdamTrolloar
If you got faith in your coach, you extend him before the seasons starts. Wonder how Dimma feels about this #gopies https://twitter.com/AFL/status/696837240098390016 …

3h3 hours ago
Reid: "I've done over 90% of the pre-season. The games are just around the corner and I'm really looking forward to that." #gopies

4h4 hours ago
We've arrived at our Community Camp in Stawell! Track today's action by following collingwoodfc on Snapchat #gopies

You need to watch more footy, TD. Edwards is a fantastic player these days and plays his role very well. Makes things happen and sets up a lot. Deledio the same and he's been that way for a decade. Rance also been arguably the best key defender in the league for the past two years.

Pies will naturally get more elite players as we rise up. Sidey, Treloar, Adams, De Goey, Grundy, maybe Marley all chances to get there in the next few years and stay there. And Reid if he stays fit.

IF Edwards is Elite then so is Swan and Treloar

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood 2016 Pre-Season Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back