List Mgmt. Collingwood Academy Kids

Remove this Banner Ad

If the club feels that there is scope for development then I don’t see why we wouldn’t grab him as a cat B. There’s a spot available, he doesn’t get counted in the salary cap, there’s literally nothing to lose by taking him. If we pass on him and he becomes draftable next year then suddenly we actually have to pay something for him and he’s included in the cap. Seems like a no brainer to me.
Fair enough

Fair enough

I agree he needs probably need another Season in the TAC Cup but You would hate for Him to come On Very Well and come a Top 30 Prospect and we could of got him as a Cat-B Rookie the year before

I agree he needs probably need another Season in the TAC Cup but You would hate for Him to come On Very Well and come a Top 30 Prospect and we could of got him as a Cat-B Rookie the year before
Personally l don’t worry about that td, but if they take him as a cat b then they see more than he has shown so far

If the club feels that there is scope for development then I don’t see why we wouldn’t grab him as a cat B. There’s a spot available, he doesn’t get counted in the salary cap, there’s literally nothing to lose by taking him. If we pass on him and he becomes draftable next year then suddenly we actually have to pay something for him and he’s included in the cap. Seems like a no brainer to me.
If they add him to the rookie list, they will play him in the VFL. If he's miles off it, what we stand to lose is VFL games and development time for someone more likely and deserving.

If they add him to the rookie list, they will play him in the VFL. If he's miles off it, what we stand to lose is VFL games and development time for someone more likely and deserving.
If he’s not up to VFL standard they can play him in the development league.

I didn’t realise Quaynor made the All-Australian team. I suspect he will be bid on before our 1st pick.
That doesn’t neccessarily mean much. Ben Kennedy was a dual AA iirc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So it’s vfl or not at all?

Yes.

The AFL Victoria Development League (known prior to 2012 as the VFL Reserves competition) was abolished at the end of 2017. All VFL-listed players not selected for VFL games each week now go back to their nominated local clubs to play. All AFL-listed players not selected in their VFL team simply don't play at all.

This is, of course, immaterial to Collingwood, seeing as we never had a team in the Development League anyway, thus not having ourselves available an avenue to drop players in years past who clearly weren't up to the level of the second-highest grade of football in the land...

Yes.

The AFL Victoria Development League (known prior to 2012 as the VFL Reserves competition) was abolished at the end of 2017. All VFL-listed players not selected for VFL games each week now go back to their nominated local clubs to play. All AFL-listed players not selected in their VFL team simply don't play at all.

This is, of course, immaterial to Collingwood, seeing as we never had a team in the Development League anyway, thus not having ourselves available an avenue to drop players in years past who clearly weren't up to the level of the second-highest grade of football in the land...
Ok, thanks never new that, interesting.

Yes.

I thought we had Ned McKewon (no idea if I spelled that right) in our dev squad at one stage? Or was that just my imagination?

I thought we had Ned McKewon (no idea if I spelled that right) in our dev squad at one stage? Or was that just my imagination?

Yes he did play with the VFL Team for I think 2 Seasons

So there’s different rules for stand alone clubs and affiliated clubs?

See my last.

You're probably thinking of the situation that existed prior to 2017 at clubs like Box Hill, Sandringham, Northern Blues/Bullants et al? AFL clubs in alignments with VFL clubs that happened to have teams in the AFL Victoria Development League (known prior to 2012 as the VFL Reserves competition)?

Such situations came about because the rules allowed for AFL clubs to form alignments with VFL clubs. As it so happened, those VFL clubs had teams in both competitions and thus the AFL clubs who chose to go into these ventures got themselves two new teams on the cheap, rather than investing in one expensive one of their own. They therefore could simply split their AFL list between comps, either because they wanted to develop them at a slower pace or simply to drop them. Hawthorn (Box Hill), for example, did it to great effect for years.

I'm not sure if the rules ever explicitly barred AFL clubs from setting up their own teams in both the VFL Seniors and the DL/VFL Reserves, but I'll happily take further information on that...

Yes and no.

You certainly did not imagine the situation with McKeown. But "Development List/Squad" is the wanky term for the VFL's equivalent of the Rookie List. It's the allotment of VFL-listed players a club can sign for less money who can come onto the VFL Senior List for a long term injury. Functions pretty much the same way as the AFL's Category A rookie list used to prior to the current CBA...

Update post weekend;

Quaynor - his best footy is v good. Ball was wet and conditions terrible but when he went near it was clean and used it well. He is rising in my view and think he might be 15-20 so we would look to trade that first pick. Interestingly his body is such that he could play Rd 1 as a back pocket next year.

Kelly - very good albeit would have liked to see a game in good conditions with him on Gown more. His offensive work from the back is a highlight and think will do more once in the system. Would be 20-30 range.

Atu - I think he gets a bid now. Again some of what he does is jaw dropping. His ability to clean / hold ground / offload and be clean is very good.

Gaspar - Has he been added to our Academy. If so he may get a bid. Very clever player.

Wraith - Very good game on the weekend in conditions that should not have suited. Still think rookie but GF will be interesting for him.

Update post weekend;

Quaynor - his best footy is v good. Ball was wet and conditions terrible but when he went near it was clean and used it well. He is rising in my view and think he might be 15-20 so we would look to trade that first pick. Interestingly his body is such that he could play Rd 1 as a back pocket next year.

Kelly - very good albeit would have liked to see a game in good conditions with him on Gown more. His offensive work from the back is a highlight and think will do more once in the system. Would be 20-30 range.

Atu - I think he gets a bid now. Again some of what he does is jaw dropping. His ability to clean / hold ground / offload and be clean is very good.

Gaspar - Has he been added to our Academy. If so he may get a bid. Very clever player.

Wraith - Very good game on the weekend in conditions that should not have suited. Still think rookie but GF will be interesting for him.
If we just took all the academy players this year it would probably be a good haul for us.

If we just took all the academy players this year it would probably be a good haul for us.

Very if we can trade that first pick or be assured we wont get bid before using it. Top 10 is usually well known / agreed so its really about next 6-8 picks. At this stage i wouldnt risk it.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Academy Kids

Remove this Banner Ad

Back