Collingwood Attitude To Matthew Lloyd

Remove this Banner Ad

Apologies for posting what is clearly an Essendon related thread on your board, but I wanted to speak to Pies supporters and obviously this was the place to come. Mods here have always been friendly to me with my yearly Anzac Day bet thread (which I continue to lose), and I ask this be treated the same.

I was generally taken aback by a recent comment about Lloyd and wanted your own feedback - do you respect Matthew Lloyd?

Despite the dislike for the man as is normal for a rival, I would have at least assumed he was respected.

Thoughts?

In his playing days I always thought Lloydy was a bit of a w***er, but since he's gone into the media I fully respect him and listen to everything he says. It also appears he's a genuinly decent guy.

I'm a football purist, thus I love people who have a genuine love for the game, though I will always have a bias to Collingwood people. However, I always thought Lloydy was a great player, and I think he's a really good media performer. I also think he's got a quiet soft spot for Collingwood, odly.

probably last of the consistent 100 goal FF.

in the media he has a propensity to speak his mind, plus add a little shit stirring in for good measure. i like his work on SEN, when fans ring in with the usual BS and he shoots them down, and is prepared to win the argument, not just settle. he doesnt say it, but his attitude appears to be "i played the game, you didnt, so **** off."

one of my favourites if i had to list them.

Damn good player. Only hated him when he kicked goals against us. I never cared about the playing for free kicks rubbish because his positives as a player far outweighed the negatives. Enjoy his honesty on the radio. Much respect to the man.

One of the all time greats.

1000 goals or thereabouts, arguably the best FF in his time and was well on his way to getting very close to the all time goal kicking record had he not ripped the hammy off the bone- that set him back a couple of years IMO and he never was the same again.

Champion.

Hi jade 00,

Gun fullforward, though from oppo point of view slightly tarnished his image with the slightly excessive diving for frees, which was annoying, as he'd rarely miss converting.

Felt he retired a year early and TBH did wonder if that had anything to do with the Sewell bump.

Love his honest commentary, and he doesn't seem to barrack for the opposition like most of the others do, which is refreshing.

Be interested to know what the Essendon people think of the circumstances of his retirement?

Was it a clash with Knights?

I appreciate he was a great full forward and one of the greats but that's about it. I disliked the way he left the bombers and his hard campaigning to get rid of Matthew Knights was unnecessary. Not a huge fan of his commentary but am willing to accept their are many who are a lot worse especially in channel 10.
In short Great player, Shit bloke.

In his playing days I always thought Lloydy was a bit of a w***er, but since he's gone into the media I fully respect him and listen to everything he says. It also appears he's a genuinly decent guy.

I'm a football purist, thus I love people who have a genuine love for the game, though I will always have a bias to Collingwood people. However, I always thought Lloydy was a great player, and I think he's a really good media performer. I also think he's got a quiet soft spot for Collingwood, odly.

I'm the same. Don't mind him as a commentator.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi jade 00,

Gun fullforward, though from oppo point of view slightly tarnished his image with the slightly excessive diving for frees, which was annoying, as he'd rarely miss converting.

Felt he retired a year early and TBH did wonder if that had anything to do with the Sewell bump.

Love his honest commentary, and he doesn't seem to barrack for the opposition like most of the others do, which is refreshing.

Be interested to know what the Essendon people think of the circumstances of his retirement?

Was it a clash with Knights?
Definitely, I don't think he could take another year of playing under Matthew Knights.

His commentary may not be biased, but you can't say it's insightful either. Not sure whether that is better or not.

I don't mind him - He's a little bit of a tool, but is pretty unbiased as a commentator, and he does know his stuff concerning the few things he ever talks about (set shot kicking, other forward matters).

I can understand why people might not like him that much.

I respect Lloyd. Had a great career as a player.

As a commentator I enjoy his guest comments. Knows his stuff and it's enjoyable to hear his thoughts re. goalkicking - since he is one of the best.

Also seems to have a strong respect Collingwood as a club and doesn't seem to want to burn any bridges because maybe with a Collingwood or other there might in later years open up a position for a goalkicking goal or a forward coach at a club.

Didn't he play a major role in getting rid of Sheedy? I had the impression at the time that Lloyd felt Sheeds had lost the plot re modern-day coaching, and lobbied the Essendon Board for a change. I'll be interested to hear what Essendon fans say on this.

Didn't he play a major role in getting rid of Sheedy? I had the impression at the time that Lloyd felt Sheeds had lost the plot re modern-day coaching, and lobbied the Essendon Board for a change. I'll be interested to hear what Essendon fans say on this.

a part from being a bit of a 'ken doll' he's a straight shooter on and off field. you have to respect courage and honesty, wether you actually warm to him or not

... I always thought Lloydy was a great player, and I think he's a really good media performer. I also think he's got a quite soft spot for Collingwood, oddly.
I agree with the above - including the perception that he had/has a 'soft spot' for the Pies. He's always seemed to only say good things about us in the media.
It could well have been because his brother, Brad, was employed by Collingwood for some years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood Attitude To Matthew Lloyd

Remove this Banner Ad

Back