Collingwood - Banned sustances and methods!

Remove this Banner Ad

Sedition

All Australian
Nov 23, 2005
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Cronulla Sharks
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,19410359-2722,00.htm

"According to WADA chairman Richard Pound, any players subsequently found using Collingwood's $100,000 altitude room would face mandatory, two-year bans from football."

I know that there is a thread somewhere raving the virtues of the Pies "artificially induced hypoxic conditions" training pre-season but this is a bit different.

I hope that the Pies have enuf depth to withstand their whole team being suspended for 2 years;)

Sure is - this aint an attack on the Pies thread either.

I always wondered if things like pain killing injections should be considered performance enhancing.

Let's just ban weight programs and any form of training because they're performance enhancing. Maybe ban game plans too.

When are the AFL going to stand up and disassociate themselves from this ridiculous agency?

It's interesting, I mean, players are banned from injecting themselves with oxygen rich blood before a game (i.e. a heap of red blood cells increases their ability to carry oxygen through teh body, giving greater endurance) and rightly so.

But altitude training does the same thing, so technically it should be banned - but it's not really a drug or cheating imo.

They clearly are. So are head ache tablets. Where do you draw the line with drugs? Is performance enhancing really the issue though? It’s really a health issue and/or a society standards issue. Some things are banned which are not performance enhancing (eg rec. drugs) and some things that are performance enhancing and are drugs are not banned (eg caffeine).

As far as what Collingwood do, I don’t see how it being advantageous is remotely and issue. If there is an issue it has to be purely a heath issue. If there is not health issue what is the problem? Do we ban clubs from running harder in pre season? It’s all getting a bit ridiculous and IMO the AFL are being to cognisant of WADA and the corrupt idiots who don’t ban some athletes, cover up some positive tests and chase down others like they killed their children. Personally I couldn’t give a rat's how many recreational drugs an athlete takes. It’s an easy pickup though because they don’t have to fight science and steroid technology to get a headline.

“If it is a doping offence it is not different to blood doping or using EPO or steroids and the athlete would be subjected to the same standard penalty of two years," Pound warned last month.

Is it different to training at altitude? Do we ban the Kenyan’s? If you replicate altitude at sea level is that really much different to training at altitude? I don’t really know the answer.

Going by pre season comment though Collingwood’s facility was a waste of time and money so I guess they have nothing to worry about.

rick James said:
But altitude training does the same thing, so technically it should be banned - but it's not really a drug or cheating imo.
The difference is that altitude training does what it does through natural body processes. The other difference is that some athletes actually live at altitude.

I Don't Think The Facility Was A Waste, Most People Just Thought Their Trip Overseas Was, At Least From An Altitude Level.

MarkT said:
The difference is that altitude training does what it does through natural body processes. The other difference is that some athletes actually live at altitude.

I know, the effect is the same though, and if that's the case, what's the difference between allowing blood injections before games? I'm actually agreeing with Collingwood on this - should be allowed.

I'm also in agreeance on the rec. drugs as well.

Timmy from Thomastown said:
Since when has oxygen been a drug?
Interesting question. Why isn’t it a drug? Because it is naturally occurring? So are may drugs and some which are considered performance enhancing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does this kind training give undue advantage to 'rich' clubs who can't afford to build these facilities?

The Pies go ahead in leaps and bounds coz they have money - Blues fall further behind coz they r broke.

bunsen burner said:
Let's just ban weight programs and any form of training because they're performance enhancing. Maybe ban game plans too.

When are the AFL going to stand up and disassociate themselves from this ridiculous agency?
and that **** head **** pound.

Thongdam said:
http://www.smh.com.au/news/afl/revealed-how-the-swans-bought-the-flag/2006/06/08/1149359890886.html

Speaking of rich and poor clubs, this article has some interesting figures on who spends most on what...Looks like the Swans, Pies and Wet Toast top the list with Essendon not far behind!

Should be a thread in its own right.
Is the the AFL and/or the umps destroying the game?
Or is it inequality in revenue and power?

PS I don't necessarily agree wiv ppl who think that the game is going downhill.

Sedition said:
Does this kind training give undue advantage to 'rich' clubs who can't afford to build these facilities?

Thats a different issue as to whether or not altitude training is/should be illegal.

West Coast and Adelaide have had superior training facilities to the Victorian clubs for years. Thats just tough t***ies.

MarkT said:
Going by pre season comment though Collingwood’s facility was a waste of time and money so I guess they have nothing to worry about.

Was it the facility that was a waste of time & money, or the US altitude training trip that Collingwood apparently didn't make long enough to be of any benefit?

All seems a bit like nonsense to me. Like you alluded to, if its shown to be detrimental to long or short-term health, the onto the banned list it goes - no question. Otherwise, well, it sounds like a bloody good idea to me and if its cleared, other clubs will be building similar facilities very quickly.

So us using it till September 16 is okay, however after that date it is all cool. Nothing really to worry about here for the clubs sake. If it gets chucked on the banned list, then so be it, but yeah, everything else I would've said is already in this thread.

Collingwood supporters crucified the Lions for doing this sought of stuff. Now that the maggies have been found out, pie supporters are wondering what all the fuss is about!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood - Banned sustances and methods!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back