Collingwood exposed?

Remove this Banner Ad

No backline, forward line was nowhere to be seen, mids were expected to do everything and even they are over rated (Pendles and beams are class, but Swan is getting on) will finish 10-12th

I know they have guys missing. But hell, even playing Q-stick as a forward line chopout would have given them more structure ffs.

They were never worthy of the hype. They seem to think because they are Collingwood they have a god given right to premiership contention. They just don't have the talent.

You look at the current big 3 of Hawthorn, Sydney and Freo. And I think all 3 of those teams are better in every single area than Collingwood. Forward, mids, backs.

I think the problem with Collingwood is that they need more forward thrust and deep penetration. Sidebottom, Goldsack and Seedsman need to help that, they're missing Brad Dick though, shouldn't have traded him.

Last edited:
I think the problem with Collingwood is that they need more forward thrust and deep penetration. Sidebottom and Seedsman need to help that, they're missing Brad Dick though, shouldn't have traded him.
huehuehuehue

They were never worthy of the hype. They seem to think because they are Collingwood they have a god given right to premiership contention. They just don't have the talent.

You look at the current big 3 of Hawthorn, Sydney and Freo. And I think all 3 of those teams are better in every single area than Collingwood. Forward, mids, backs.
Not sure who was hyping them up to be honest, although I haven't paid a great deal of attention to the football media since the trade/draft period.
They've taken the approach of sacrificing some good players and investing wholly in the future, specifically 3-4 years from now, in the hope of not completely bottoming out. They're going to be poor at times with such a different side and some new blood expected to carry the performance of what was essentially the same premiership team until last year, and Buckley's structural set-up worried me a little too - don't think he'll be a premiership coach, however meticulous and dedicated.
I don't think they're going to fall too hard, but the pride is going to cop a bit of a battering, as it did in the elimination final last year, as a result.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its only round 1 - i think whoever copped Freo in round 1 would have got flogged - Freo want redemption

Read today Fyfe said he went to America for a month after the GF - just to get away from it all -reckons he let down the team - his family . Pavlich and McPharlin have both said there haunted by that GF loss

How i see it - Freo took that hurt out- on their round 1 opponents- and that scenario has happened before

Reid and White are big inclusions- not being a Collingwood supporter - but every time they picks Witts they seem to struggle

They'll still make the top 8 imo. Freo are obviously ahead of them, however their list still stacks up nicely compared to most of the league.

I still think there are too many 'monties' for Collingwood to fall out of the 8. I can't see any of Melbourne, GWS, Brisbane, St.Kilda, Western Bulldogs, Richmond or even Sydney (in Sydney) defeating them in 2014. They bank those victories year after year. They should still win 13+ games and make the 8. Bookmark.

Collingwood and the Hawks have both been up since around 2007, Hawks have recruited so much better and didn't sack their coach in favour of a favourite son with no runs on the board.

Imagine if Clarkson did not have his contract extended in 2011 and then they allowed Burgoyne (Heath Shaw) and Rioli (Thomas) to leave.

Collingwood and the Hawks have both been up since around 2007, Hawks have recruited so much better and didn't sack their coach in favour of a favourite son with no runs on the board.

Imagine if Clarkson did not have his contract extended in 2011 and then they allowed Burgoyne (Heath Shaw) and Rioli (Thomas) to leave.
We did lose Franklin (Cloke) and Clinton Young (insert random spud), so I wouldn't exactly say we've been the best in that regard. Not that it was our fault.

Early call.

Been a long summer...

Freo will feel better for belting someone after losing the grand final.

Pies need to work on their bookends.

Can't deny their talent.. They have A LOT of high quality talent. Too much left to few blokes.
A lot of talent at the top end - but not a lot depth beyond that.

Pendles, Beams, Swan and Cloke are all guns.
But beyond that, the side is inconsistent and some what unaccountable.

Grundy showed a lot tonight, he has a BIG future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood exposed?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back