List Mgmt. Collingwood FS & NGA "Peter Daicos Academy" kids

Remove this Banner Ad

I can see the BL & GC being interested in CFC's future first, both their 2025 U18 academy teams are stacked with talent. The QLD academy team rolled Vic Metro a month ago and will be heavily represented in the futures game next month. Brisbane still have pick 14 in the 2024 draft which will be swallowed up by Ashcroft if not traded.

So, how good is the young McGuane, he looks good! Is he a top ten pick? CFC will have to make a decision on whether to trade their future first now, risk the current team sliding further down the ladder or back the team to return to finals, or keep future first, see where McGuane lands and trade future first out next year.

If CFC and GC come to an arrangement this year for Noble and a future first. CFC could end up with a late first round pick and multiple second round picks, use in a trade for a player or this years strong draft.

*Mudding the water further is whether rules will be introduced next year by the AFL on Academy/FS equalisation, or not!
I wouldn't be surprised to see us trade our F1 to get back into the top 30 of this years draft. plus some points for next year
He'll be a first rounder, whether its top 10 or in the 2nd half of the 1st round depends on his development next year.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us trade our F1 to get back into the top 30 of this years draft. plus some points for next year
He'll be a first rounder, whether its top 10 or in the 2nd half of the 1st round depends on his development next year.
Jen, I would assume CFC would only agree to trading their future first for one of GC's first rounders this year, so, yes I agree your scenario of trading CFC's future first for a top 30 pick and points would be surprising and not desirable.

Last edited:
Jen, I would assume CFC would only agree to trading their future first for one of GC's firsts rounders this year, so, yes I agree your scenario of trading CFC's future first for a top 30 pick and points would be surprising and not desirable.
Points and the discount is changing next year, so to match a first rounder in 2025, you can't use later picks. Will need picks in the 20's and 30's. So its something they'll need to prepared for.

Points and the discount is changing next year, so to match a first rounder in 2025, you can't use later picks. Will need picks in the 20's and 30's. So its something they'll need to prepared for.
Correct, but is it confirmed the AFL will make a decision on F/S equalisation next year? The AFL might make a decision on trading two years in advance too. Does anybody know for certain apart from the AFL what they will do or am I incorrect on this one?

Last edited:
Correct, but is it confirmed the AFL will make a decision on F/S equalisation next year? The AFL might make a decision on trading two years in advance too. Does anybody know for certain apart from the AFL what they will do or am I incorrect on this one?
They have already announced the rules for 2025.
They will bring in trading 2 years in advance
And the F/S equalisation is that they'll reduce the discount from 20% to 10% and remove points from later picks, so nobody can stack up on later picks to match

For 2025, the main changes will be:

• The revised draft value index and bidding system will be introduced. The new DVI will make it harder for clubs to stockpile draft selections to match multiple bids on Academy and father-son selections.
  • As part of this, the 20 per cent points discount applied to matched bids will be reduced to 10 per cent. However, the AFL will continue to review this and assess whether it should apply to all or some of father-son, NGA and northern Academy players.
  • The new DVI will see points attached to only the first 54 picks (down from the current system of the first 73 picks). There will be more than 10,000 points shaved off the value of the next DVI.
  • Future trading of picks will be extended to two years in advance.

They have already announced the rules for 2025.
They will bring in trading 2 years in advance
And the F/S equalisation is that they'll reduce the discount from 20% to 10% and remove points from later picks, so nobody can stack up on later picks to match

For 2025, the main changes will be:

• The revised draft value index and bidding system will be introduced. The new DVI will make it harder for clubs to stockpile draft selections to match multiple bids on Academy and father-son selections.
  • As part of this, the 20 per cent points discount applied to matched bids will be reduced to 10 per cent. However, the AFL will continue to review this and assess whether it should apply to all or some of father-son, NGA and northern Academy players.
  • The new DVI will see points attached to only the first 54 picks (down from the current system of the first 73 picks). There will be more than 10,000 points shaved off the value of the next DVI.
  • Future trading of picks will be extended to two years in advance.
So in 2025, there is absolutely nothing restricting clubs from using second round picks or third round picks or combination to draft a FS/NGA bid in the first round?

Last edited:
So in 2025, there is absolutely nothing restricting clubs from using second round picks or third round picks or combination to draft a FS/NGA bid in the first round?
No. But they won’t be able to stack late, otherwise worthless picks, and 3rd round picks will be significantly less valuable in comparison to now. End result is if you have a first round prospect you’ll probably have to use significantly more valuable picks to make up points than you have to currently.

Failed When we did it last time

No way I’m trading future first into this year until we know exactly what the points system looks like for 2025.

Knowing the afl, they’ll announce it post this trade period when we will have already moved our future first, and then they’ll come up with some rule that we can’t meet as we’ve just moved the first rounder.

Jen, you can't be serious... This is the exact move that from 2021 that was probably a top 3 worst trade decision our club has ever done...

I am of the opinion that we should be never trading first round picks for the foreseeable future, but in this case since we may need to use it on McGuane (even though that isn't certain), we definitely shouldn't trade it until a) we know what pick it is, and b) we know what season next year McGuane has and his projected draft range.

If we finish bottom 6-8 again (not unreasonable), and McGuane is a late first rounder (not unreasonable), then it will have been a horrendous move again.

And above you are putting the return pick range at something in the top 30...? I'm shaking my head...

Jen, you can't be serious... This is the exact move that from 2021 that was probably a top 3 worst trade decision our club has ever done...

I am of the opinion that we should be never trading first round picks for the foreseeable future, but in this case since we may need to use it on McGuane (even though that isn't certain), we definitely shouldn't trade it until a) we know what pick it is, and b) we know what season next year McGuane has and his projected draft range.

If we finish bottom 6-8 again (not unreasonable), and McGuane is a late first rounder (not unreasonable), then it will have been a horrendous move again.

And above you are putting the return pick range at something in the top 30...? I'm shaking my head...
I know, and I generally would agree. But it's been touted as a way to get back into this years draft. They may not do it but instead bundle up some picks to move higher.

I know, and I generally would agree. But it's been touted as a way to get back into this years draft. They may not do it but instead bundle up some picks to move higher.
Surely we have learnt our lesson from having messed up each of the four times we've traded future first round pick. By my count it was the Treloar, Beams, 'Daicos', and Shultz trades. Each was a disaster for us in retrospect. I hope we never do it again.

Surely we have learnt our lesson from having messed up each of the four times we've traded future first round pick. By my count it was the Treloar, Beams, 'Daicos', and Shultz trades. Each was a disaster for us in retrospect. I hope we never do it again.
Yeah, it rarely works out well for us when we do.
We may not have to do it if we can acquire some key position kids in the draft where our picks falls, especially if we manage to get a good pick from the suns.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trading our first to get back in to this years draft should be for a first round pick or not at all. We can worry about points next year, they’re acquired easily enough without giving away first rounders.

Trading our first to get back in to this years draft should be for a first round pick or not at all. We can worry about points next year, they’re acquired easily enough without giving away first rounders.
I agree. It should be the focus in getting back into the first round if we do go that way.

Yeah, it rarely works out well for us when we do.
We may not have to do it if we can acquire some key position kids in the draft where our picks falls, especially if we manage to get a good pick from the suns.
This is it. We need to say 'Pick 20 for Noble or he stays', and hold firm. That's the earliest we will be able to reenter the business end of this draft in my view. Absolute no to trading our future first next year, when we aren't sure whether we are on the slide or not.

Now we've finished the wildcard weekend.

Thomas McGuane - 28 disposals, 1 goal, 7 marks, 3 free kicks ;)
Tadhg McCarthy - 5 disposals, 2 rebound 50's
16 year old Oscar Lonie: 8 disposals, 2 rebound 50's, 2 tackles. ( it was pleasing to see the coach put him in centre bounce toward the end of the game. Move him up the ground get him involved) otherwise he plays forward.

You clearly don't understand the talent pool, it's a strong and deep draft this year and next years will be really poor so why wouldn't a club want extra picks this year.

This is not a lesson to learn. Just because it hasn't worked in the past does not mean it won't work in the future. We need to assess options clearly in the current context, not be put off due to past failures.

There is always a risk in trading future picks. There's a chance it ends up better/worse/exactly as expected. We've had some misfortune in the past. Taking this option off the table limits us and means we never have the chance of it working in our favour.

This year there are specific reasons to bring next year's pick forward, for the right deal. Whether we do it should depend on the right deal eventuating, not being spooked by the ghosts of trades past.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood FS & NGA "Peter Daicos Academy" kids

Remove this Banner Ad

Back