News Collingwood News & Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Back? We won the flag over 12 months ago. We didn't have to do anything too drastic, just get a better run with injury like Geelong.
True, but the point of the article was that Perryman and Houston will make us better, which, given we only just missed the finals this year, means we'll be right back at the pointy end next year.

Missed the finals by percentage only, in the closest season ever.

Finished 6 points behind the Lions who went on to win the flag. A team we've beaten the last 3 times we've played them. The last time being round 23 when Lions needed a win to make the top 4.

Who knows how the finals would have panned out if we met Lions in the EF instead of Carlscum. I'm sure Lions are glad they didn't us instead.
IMG_7032.jpeg

If we had 3-4 high draft picks to select, they'd be saying we're in big trouble because these kids need years of development, usually aren't ready to play seniors straightaway & if they do turn out to be spuds, we're stuck with these duds when our veterans retire.

Instead, we go with what I see is the logical way to replace our veterans with ready made, proven players in the 25-28 year age bracket who will play straightaway & automatically fill the gap left by our retirees.

And hopefully those young kids we have been developing are ready to take the next step : Allan, DeMattia, TJ, Parker, Harvey (upon his return), Smit..& fingers crossed for Reef, Fin, Steene, Long & Dean 🤞

If we had 3-4 high draft picks to select, they'd be saying we're in big trouble because these kids need years of development, usually aren't ready to play seniors straightaway & if they do turn out to be spuds, we're stuck with these duds when our veterans retire.

Instead, we go with what I see is the logical way to replace our veterans with ready made, proven players in the 25-28 year age bracket who will play straightaway & automatically fill the gap left by our retirees.

And hopefully those young kids we have been developing are ready to take the next step : Allan, DeMattia, TJ, Parker, Harvey (upon his return), Smit..& fingers crossed for Reef, Fin, Steene, Long & Dean 🤞
We’re fine. The fear is real with oppo flogs

We’re fine. The fear is real with oppo flogs
T
H
I
S

Scared Scooby Doo GIF by Mashed

True, but the point of the article was that Perryman and Houston will make us better, which, given we only just missed the finals this year, means we'll be right back at the pointy end next year.
If we perform well enough for longer. Still have to win games, and nothing is ever certain. But we'll give it a crack if our health maintains as best as possible. We could be top 4 or we could miss finals again. Nobody knows how the season will pan out. But hopefully everyone is fit and healthy and we'll see how we go.

If we perform well enough for longer. Still have to win games, and nothing is ever certain. But we'll give it a crack if our health maintains as best as possible. We could be top 4 or we could miss finals again. Nobody knows how the season will pan out. But hopefully everyone is fit and healthy and we'll see how we go.
I just watched our late season clash with the Lions, and I have come away very pumped for 2025. We had some quality players missing in Mihocek and Degoey and we were all over them for large portions of the game even with Daniher in red hot form. The Lions were fighting for the double chance, so everything was on the line and we won.

Injuries matter but we will have better depth with Perryman, Houston, Membrey and maybe Tomlinson. I thought Parker looked incredibly composed with ball in hand-I can see why they like him. Cox and Cameron were excellent, and we know Coxy played out the season with a sore knee which explains his lack of kicking penetration. McStay was only 2 games back from his ACL recovery.

In case you haven't noticed- I'm very optimistic about our chances. Only one team concerns me and that is Hawthorn. We just go to water when we play them and have done for decades. Yes, we've scraped in a couple of times when they were considered a bottom four team and we were top of the table but they have flogged us twice in rather humiliating fashion -something that rarely happens to Collingwood in any season. They have strengthened their squad so we will see how we manage our nemesis in 2025.

I just watched our late season clash with the Lions, and I have come away very pumped for 2025. We had some quality players missing in Mihocek and Degoey and we were all over them for large portions of the game even with Daniher in red hot form. The Lions were fighting for the double chance, so everything was on the line and we won.

Injuries matter but we will have better depth with Perryman, Houston, Membrey and maybe Tomlinson. I thought Parker looked incredibly composed with ball in hand-I can see why they like him. Cox and Cameron were excellent, and we know Coxy played out the season with a sore knee which explains his lack of kicking penetration. McStay was only 2 games back from his ACL recovery.

In case you haven't noticed- I'm very optimistic about our chances. Only one team concerns me and that is Hawthorn. We just go to water when we play them and have done for decades. Yes, we've scraped in a couple of times when they were considered a bottom four team and we were top of the table but they have flogged us twice in rather humiliating fashion -something that rarely happens to Collingwood in any season. They have strengthened their squad so we will see how we manage our nemesis in 2025.

A lot of us are gun shy about Hawthorn.

But this whole ‘bogey’ team concept - is it really a thing? Or just an unfortunate set of circumstances, or maybe a perfect storm, which have lead to so many losses against them in recent decades?

Like you, I am always apprehensive about playing them. But I doubt that the coaching group and players are. And under Fly we’ve had a habit of, well, breaking old habits.

So I’m looking forward to us beating the Hawks in 2025.😊

But this whole ‘bogey’ team concept - is it really a thing? Or just an unfortunate set of circumstances, or maybe a perfect storm, which have lead to so many losses against them in recent decades?
Brisbane were our bogey team last year going into the Grand Final, as we'd lost 6 in a row to them... And we beat them on Grand Final day and then twice in 2024.

But we had also won 6 in a row against Brisbane before their run against us... So even including their 6 wins a row, we've won 9/15 against Brisbane.

Like you, I am always apprehensive about playing them. But I doubt that the coaching group and players are. And under Fly we’ve had a habit of, well, breaking old habits.

It always happens in cycles. No such thing as the bogey side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WHAT WE KNOW​

Opening Round
March 6-8 (New South Wales and Queensland)
Round 1
March 13-16 (Plus F1 Grand Prix at Albert Park)
Richmond v Carlton MCG March 13
Hawthorn v Essendon MCG TBC
Round 5
April 10-13 (Gather Round in South Australia)
Round 6
April 17-21 (Easter weekend)
Brisbane Lions v Collingwood Gabba April 17
North Melbourne v Carlton Marvel Stadium April 18
Round 7
April 24 - 27 (ANZAC Round)
Melbourne v Richmond MCG April 24
Collingwood v Essendon MCG April 25

Collingwood is also open to being included again in Opening Round after missing finals last year gave the club a longer lead-in to the March 6-8 kick-off.

But the Dogs have asked the league to schedule a high-drawing blockbuster clash against a powerhouse Victorian side such as the Magpies, Blues or Hawthorn in the early part of next season to celebrate the club’s 100th AFL season.

The Magpies loom as the ideal fit in a one-off home ground clash on a Thursday or Friday night at the MCG, or at the Dogs’ home ground Marvel Stadium.

A clash at the MCG against the Magpies would draw a crowd in excess of 70,000-plus fans.

St Kilda has enjoyed an early-season blockbuster against Collingwood in recent years, including its 150th anniversary match in 2023, but that match is on shaky ground for 2025.

I know it doesn't make sense, but the facts don't lie. Let's hope our boys can buck the trend and flog the arrogant w***ers.

Like you, I am always apprehensive about playing them. ...
I can live with Hawthorn continuing to be our bogey team ....

... providing we continue to be Carlton's bogey team

WHAT WE KNOW​

Opening Round
March 6-8 (New South Wales and Queensland)
Round 1
March 13-16 (Plus F1 Grand Prix at Albert Park)
Richmond v Carlton MCG March 13
Hawthorn v Essendon MCG TBC
Round 5
April 10-13 (Gather Round in South Australia)
Round 6
April 17-21 (Easter weekend)
Brisbane Lions v Collingwood Gabba April 17
North Melbourne v Carlton Marvel Stadium April 18
Round 7
April 24 - 27 (ANZAC Round)
Melbourne v Richmond MCG April 24
Collingwood v Essendon MCG April 25

Collingwood is also open to being included again in Opening Round after missing finals last year gave the club a longer lead-in to the March 6-8 kick-off.

But the Dogs have asked the league to schedule a high-drawing blockbuster clash against a powerhouse Victorian side such as the Magpies, Blues or Hawthorn in the early part of next season to celebrate the club’s 100th AFL season.

The Magpies loom as the ideal fit in a one-off home ground clash on a Thursday or Friday night at the MCG, or at the Dogs’ home ground Marvel Stadium.

A clash at the MCG against the Magpies would draw a crowd in excess of 70,000-plus fans.

St Kilda has enjoyed an early-season blockbuster against Collingwood in recent years, including its 150th anniversary match in 2023, but that match is on shaky ground for 2025.

Honestly, who gives a shit what Carlton “want”. They’ve all blown their trumpet about finishing 8th and us missing finals so as an apparent “marquee” side in the comp now they have to expect the AFL to use them to promote the game in the Northern states yeah? We missed finals so we’ll just enjoy a few double ups against Richmond and Melbourne I guess. 😎

Remove this Banner Ad

News Collingwood News & Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Back