Collingwood seeks to tear up Queen's Birthday agreement with Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

As an aside, Eddie also has my thanks as well as I'm sure that of many Melbourne supporters, as the cash injection from QB in the darkest days really did help keep the club afloat by all reports.

Eddie does nothing out of self interest. Collingwood did this as it enabled them to have another guaranteed game at the G. They relied on this as part of their MCG agreement and also make money off the day by having reserved seating/social club in the Ponsford Stand.

I have no issue with sharing it, as long as the rest of the fixture is evened out - i.e. we get home games against the Bombers and Blues more than once a decade.

I hate the way it is portrayed though - Melbourne makes this a fixture request (as all clubs lodge fixture requests every year) which the AFL considers when creating the fixture. It has nothing to do with Collingwood, if Collingwood said "we don't want to play as the away team anymore" and Melbourne continued to request to play Collingwood at home on Queens Bday the decision would be up to the AFL. Not Collingwood. It would be pretty stupid for Collingwood to waste one of their fixture requests to request NOT to play on a public holiday, even as the away team.

On the plus side, if it is made Collingwoods home game maybe more of their supporters will actually attend instead of leaving the Ponsford Stand 3/4's empty every year and being outnumbered by Melbourne supporters.

Precisely my point. I'm just intrigued as from my perspective I see so many arguments involving Melbourne supporters being smart arses. It's fine as its a footy forum after all that facilitates trolling and razzing.

You'll find that all clubs are represented equally

Exactly. The Queen's BDay game itself is not the problem for Collingwood, but the association with FreezeMND is. How can you have a major theme of the game where the main spokesman for FreezeMND (Neale Daniher) was an ex Melbourne coach and has absolutely nothing to do with Collingwood? The Queen's BDay game can stay but the FreezeMND event should be moved to Melbourne vs Essendon match.

Why? Talk about keeping your priorities in check :rolleyes:

Maybe, just maybe, it simply coincides with the period of when MFC became more financially placed, not the on-field W-L ratio.

Now who's got the chip?

Or coinciding with Melbourne rising up the ladder so the CFC seeing it as a bigger moneyspinner than previously.

I say we should rotate the game - with Essendon. Keep the MND there and have Melbourne and Essendon rotate the home game every year.

Your lot have been compensated at the expense of all the clubs - hell North claim to be profitable based on subsidies from the AFL.
You are aware these subsidies have remained thru 2017 despite the AFL borrowing $millions to buy the joint.

Compensation - not subsidies.

Precisely my point. I'm just intrigued as from my perspective I see so many arguments involving Melbourne supporters being smart arses. It's fine as its a footy forum after all that facilitates trolling and razzing.
Is this because you've been in about 4 seperate threads whinging about demons supporters and how they speak to you?

Is this because you've been in about 4 seperate threads whinging about demons supporters and how they speak to you?
I wouldn't say I've whinged about Melbourne supporters. What an unfair characterisation. This once again supports my point. I had a discussion with a Melbourne supporter about why I think it is unfair to compare Hogan and Curnow but I don't think there was any whinging?

I wouldn't say I've whinged about Melbourne supporters. What an unfair characterisation. This once again supports my point. I had a discussion with a Melbourne supporter about why I think it is unfair to compare Hogan and Curnow but I don't think there was any whinging?
I didn't refer to a specific topic...
I like your style though. Whinge about a supporter base, that's fine. Someone comment about on your posting "unfair characterisation"

Maybe it's not everyone else...

Why are Melbourne supporters the biggest smart arses here? I always seem to see Melbourne fans baiting and trolling others over semantics. You all seem so hostile. I would have thought Collingwood fans would be the worst but they all seem to be mostly respectful and rational.

'The Melbourne supporters are being mean to me again reeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems an interesting mix of potatoes and non potatoes in this thread.

I don't really see why people are saying we don't want to play QB anymore, to me it just sounds like they want to alternate the home team which is entirely fair enough. Both teams have done well from the current arrangement, Melbourne obviously have done better given the financial side of things. Now that equalization is in full force they don't need to have the QB gate every year.

I also think it'll help make the game even bigger, lots of Collingwood supporters don't actually go to QB at the moment as they don't have away game membership so they just don't bother. Give it to us as a home game every second year and it'll become more of a tradition to go and in turn the crowd will increase for the Melbourne Home game too.

For the record, I don't think either club should get the gate. Given what the day is now geared towards both clubs should donate the gate to the cause. Just let me sit in my nice home Level 2 on the wing seat rather than my crappy away one.

Never actually knew Melbourne always had the home game... sounds like a few clubs could have had it but Collingwood agreed to be the perennial away side simply for the TV time.

No, it's because Melbourne were struggling financially, and the match normally draws a decent crowd as they are traditional rivals, so to help them out Collingwood requests it as an Away match.

No issue with it changing from a Melbourne home game to alternating and then either a revenue sharing agreement (which helps both clubs budgets) or not.

But anyone saying the Pies did it purely out of altruistic reasons is full of BS. Collingwood benefited hugely from a blockbuster away game in the first half of the year with a big crowd, big TV audience and the whole day for 1 game so the whole news cycle after it. Plus it came at a nice time 6 weeks (approx) from ANZAC day.

The Pies locking in away games that brought them a big audience and good chance of a win was a big part of why they didn't have to travel so much and haven't been to Geelong in some of their players lifetimes!

The Sydney Saturday night away game at ANZ stadium was another winner they used to have.

Every second year Melbourne will lose a big crowd and Dees fans will have to front up to a different home game that might feature an interstate side. Collingwood might have to travel interstate to make up their extra away game.

My compromise is that the Demons host 2 out of every 3 games. (2018, 2020, 2021, 2023 etc)

You can't dismiss the fact that the Demons have been dudded fixture wise since the latest expansion occurred.

They've hosted 46 non-Victorian teams since 2011, with Collingwood only hosting 28.

In the same time frame, Melbourne have hosted 17 MCG co-tenants with Collingwood hosting 26. To break it down further Melbourne have hosted Carlton and Essendon a total of 2 times in 7 years whilst Collingwood have hosted the same 2 teams 14 times.

I'd rather Melbourne keep the fixture, but the compromise makes sense.

Collingwood might have to travel interstate to make up their extra away game.

Seeing as we play the same number of interstate games as other Vic teams that seems unlikely.

As we get better we'll get a better fixture.

But yeah, Collingwood got enough out of it before to make it worth their while. But now its bigger (in part due to Big Freeze), i don't think its unreasonable for them to want to share the gate.

Not really much to argue over is there, if all the melb fans say "Sure its been a good run"?

It's fair enough. If it wasn't Eddie doing it now it'd be the next person in the chair. We've had a good run with it and we're better placed now than we have been in recent times financially.

Although some pies fans saying they don't give a stuff at QB clash I'm tipping a few would be quiet upset if it was changed to another side.
Can't speak for everyone, but it really is just another game to me. There are several games every year that are massie in my mind, regardless of where teams sit on the ladder. Carlton obviously, Anzac Day and Hawthorn games (because we find them very hard to win) all are big days. QB is really a meh day. I don't see a rivalry with Melbourne. I know there was once, but it doesn't invoke a feeling other than just another day. TBH I find it inconvenient to have my Monday interrupted and Essendon V Melbourne makes much more sense with the big freeze.

Why are Melbourne supporters the biggest smart arses here? I always seem to see Melbourne fans baiting and trolling others over semantics. You all seem so hostile. I would have thought Collingwood fans would be the worst but they all seem to be mostly respectful and rational.
Pull your head in common denominator.

It's fair enough. If it wasn't Eddie doing it now it'd be the next person in the chair. We've had a good run with it and we're better placed now than we have been in recent times financially.

Although some pies fans saying they don't give a stuff at QB clash I'm tipping a few would be quiet upset if it was changed to another side.

Can't speak for my fellow Pies, but my level of concern is preeeeetty low.

I liked the fact that the day gave a financial boost to Melbourne through those lean times. But if we end up not playing Melbourne on the QB Monday any more, I wouldn't exactly lose sleep over it.

Topkent, Donkeypunchd0 and jack son 5 have had a fair bit to say that held no relevance
Yeah not really. It's relevant to point out that your clubs leadership are hypocritical to spruik QB as an example of helping a smaller club, then crack the shits when that club poaches personnel. As if we should extend our begging bowl in perpetuity instead of trying to do something proactive to fix the clubs situation, which Taylor has.

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood seeks to tear up Queen's Birthday agreement with Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back